Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217567
April 04, 2003 04:40 pm UTC
April 04, 2003 04:40 pm UTC
Guelph
Matt Palmer Offline OP
Matt Palmer  Offline OP
Guelph
I had this in the 'rim refinishing' thread, but I moved it because I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

My buddy just got a set of rims done for his Volkswagen.

He bought a set of track rims:
[Linked Image]

then got them sandblasted:
[Linked Image]

and powdercoated anthracite/gun metal:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you're interested, the guy to get in touch with is Jason, his email is: jason@deln.on.ca

He's a really great guy, and from what I've heard, he was really flexible with pickup and delivery and has extremely fair prices, but email him to verify. Tell him "VWGuy's" roommate with the Talon sent you his way.

I can vouch that the workmanship is outstanding and without a doubt, he'll be my first stop for powdercoating or polishing anything that I get done, be it rims, valve cover or the like.

1993 Eagle Talon ES-T
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217568
April 04, 2003 05:14 pm UTC
April 04, 2003 05:14 pm UTC
Toronto
K
Kapak Leung Offline
Kapak Leung  Offline
K
Toronto
Matt,

Do you know how much does it cost your friend to do such for 4 wheels?

Kapak

Proudly The Original Owner
91 Talon TSi AWD
Departing From Stock Since I Know You Guys
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217569
April 04, 2003 07:49 pm UTC
April 04, 2003 07:49 pm UTC
Guelph
Matt Palmer Offline OP
Matt Palmer  Offline OP
Guelph
I don't know the exact figure offhand. The best bet would be to shoot him a quick email, he's prompt with replies and should be able to handle your questions better than I can.

Note, price is also based on the colour you choose, I think that he has common colours readily available, but it will cost extra for custom colours. The anthracite in the above pictures was a common colour, if anyone was wondering.

Again, just drop him a quick note and he can give you the definite specifics instead of me speculating.

1993 Eagle Talon ES-T
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217570
April 08, 2003 03:12 pm UTC
April 08, 2003 03:12 pm UTC
Guelph
Matt Palmer Offline OP
Matt Palmer  Offline OP
Guelph
I got my hands on a pricing list, so I thought I'd post it for anyone who's interested.

------------------------------------------
POWDERCOATING PRICE LIST AS OF April 2003.

OPTION A: (Rims)
1) tire removed/reinstalled/balanced
2) blasting of the rim
3) powdercoating process with standard colour:
OPTION A Price = $70 per rim

OPTION B: (Rims)
1) blasting of the rim
2) powdercoating process with standard colour:
OPTION B Price = $65 per rim

OPTION C: (Rims)
1) powdercoating process only, with standard colour:
OPTION C Price = $55 per rim

OPTION D: (Rims)
1) powdercoating process only, using a non-standard (custom) colour, if powder colour is available:
OPTION D Price = $85 per rim
(If tire removal/reinstallation/balancing, is required, add $10 per rim), (If blasting of the rim is required, please add $10 per rim)

OPTION E: (VR6 Intake Manifolds, or other one off items of similar size completed in standard colour:
1) powdercoating process, using a standard colour
2) blasting of the manifold (or other item)
OPTION E Price = $130 (total)

Option F: (1.8T valve covers, or other one off items of similar size completed in a standard colour):
1) powdercoating process, using a standard colour
2) blasting of the manifold (or other item)
OPTION F Price = $130 (total)

Option G: (Polishing of lips, rim faces, and combination polish/powdercoat options now available!)
1) Price varies for each rim, and desired look. Pics of rims needed.
Option G Price = $ Varies (as an example to blast rim, then polish face of spokes, and edge of lip, then tape off polished areas with high temp tape, then powdercoat the other areas, is approximately $125 per rim)

NOTES:
1) Blasting rims (or other items) with a powdercoated, or otherwise difficult finish to remove, please add $15 per rim
2) Smaller "one off' items may be less expensive. Each individual item should be priced separately. Just ask.
3) I cannot repair warped or badly dented rims. Minor scratches and scuffs will most likely be removed during the blasting process.
4) Powdercoating is very durable. More so than any painted finish. The part is blasted, then washed in a special solution that removes any oils. The part is then dried, hung, and sprayed with the dry powder (colour of your choice). The powder is attracted to the part by an electric charge (similar to electrostatic painting). the rims is then placed in the oven, where it is baked for 15 minutes at approximately 475 degrees F. The part is then removed, and allowed to cool. The powder has been 'baked' into the part. Powdercoating is superior to painting in this respect, since the powder actually enters the porous surface layer of the part, and is melted in. The majority of the powders I use do not require a clear coat, but there are some custom colours that require a clear coat applied after the base coat. When the colour is chosen, I will advise if it is necessary.
5) Polishing of some rims is now available! Price depends on type of rim, and desired look.
6) A colour chart is available for viewing, once you are serious about having this done. (Pictures of this chart do not reflect the colours accurately)
7) Pictures of some of my completed work are available upon request.
8) Usually turn around time for tire work, blasting, and powdercoating is one week. This is not my full time profession, so please be patient.
9) Questions are welcome. Thanks.
------------------------------------------

So again, if you're interested shoot him an email at the address posted in my first post.

1993 Eagle Talon ES-T
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217571
April 09, 2003 04:03 pm UTC
April 09, 2003 04:03 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
I can vouch for Jason as well. Met him through my girlfriends family almost a couple of years ago. He's a real stand up guy and I can only imagine this is reflected in his work.

Not to mention he's also got a pretty impressive VW.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi - JDM 6 bolt = SOLD!
2008 Mistubishi Lancer GTS
2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217572
April 11, 2003 03:07 pm UTC
April 11, 2003 03:07 pm UTC
Toronto
Ronnie Fung Offline
Serious Member
Ronnie Fung  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto
How is he with bike rims?

-1986 Bastardized Mazda RX7
-2000 CBR 929RR (Street)
-2003 CBR 600RR (Track)
-2000 Chevrolet Xtreme
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217573
April 11, 2003 08:38 pm UTC
April 11, 2003 08:38 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
I sent him an email, but it's probably best if you do it since you know what you want.

If you need help transporting stuff back to Kitchener I don't mind. I work in Mississauga if you can get the rims that far.

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217574
April 11, 2003 08:52 pm UTC
April 11, 2003 08:52 pm UTC
Kitchener
N
Noah Wiles Offline
Noah Wiles  Offline
N
Kitchener
Ronnie, I already heard back and he said there's a pair of polished ones coming up. He hasn't worked out the pricing yet though.

Pics are coming on Sunday or Monday.

2008 Chevy Equinox
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217575
April 11, 2003 08:54 pm UTC
April 11, 2003 08:54 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Noah, and thanks Matt for providing this info to the guys here on the DSM board.

If anyone wants info on powdercoating, or polishing, then the best thing to would be to e-mail me, and I will get back to you a.s.a.p. with some info.

If it's pics, or pricing I shoule be able to provide you with what you need.

jason@deln.on.ca

Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217576
April 12, 2003 01:03 am UTC
April 12, 2003 01:03 am UTC
Guelph
Matt Palmer Offline OP
Matt Palmer  Offline OP
Guelph
Hey, no prob Jason. The work you did with Jordan's rims was top notch, and I figured a lot of guys here could benefit from it also.
If everything goes well I'll need your services before the summer's out.

1993 Eagle Talon ES-T
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217577
April 12, 2003 03:35 pm UTC
April 12, 2003 03:35 pm UTC
cambridge, ont.
rick seemann Offline
rick seemann  Offline
cambridge, ont.
heheh I saw this posted on the vwvortex about 2 weeks ago!

FOR SALE: 1993 TSi AWD
Re: Polishing, sandblasting, and powdercoating in KW/Guelph/probably T.O. -> Good guy! #217578
April 12, 2003 04:11 pm UTC
April 12, 2003 04:11 pm UTC
Guelph
Matt Palmer Offline OP
Matt Palmer  Offline OP
Guelph
Ya, those are my roommate's rims.

1993 Eagle Talon ES-T