August 01, 2003 04:52 pm UTC
August 01, 2003 04:52 pm UTC
Etobocoke
T
Tony Lowell Offline OP
Tony Lowell  Offline OP
T
Etobocoke
I don't normally post in this forum as I am trying to get the 91 TSi back to vintage, not a bling, bling and not a road rocket. The car was stored for 4 years by the original owner so it is in exceptional condition with low mileage. There are stains on the hood from the two windshield washer squirters and what looks like bird sh!t stains. I have had it professionally detailed but the stains are still there. Any ideas on how to remove the stains? I do not want to repaint the hood as everything is vintage with no rust anywhere. It even has the original exhaust and you could eat off the undercarriage it is that clean.
Mechanically I've had KW Mitsibushi bring everthing back to spec at a fair cost to me as it was stored for that time in a barn. They are helping me with this project even though I live in the big zoo.

Thanks Tony

The old guy 91TSi FWD vintage
Re: WWAF stains on hood how to remove #218195
August 01, 2003 05:03 pm UTC
August 01, 2003 05:03 pm UTC
Toronto
K
Kapak Leung Offline
Kapak Leung  Offline
K
Toronto
I have the exact same tear lines running from the washer nozzle on the hood bitch . Would like to know how to remove it as well.

Kapak

Proudly The Original Owner
91 Talon TSi AWD
Departing From Stock Since I Know You Guys
Re: WWAF stains on hood how to remove #218196
August 02, 2003 06:27 am UTC
August 02, 2003 06:27 am UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
It was actually a paint defect on the Talon and was covered under warranty..i think up to 5 years. Certain colors had this problem and my 92 burgundy was one of them and had the hood repainted gratis. That mark can only be prevented with regular wax and polish. Once it gets that obvious there is not a lot to do the paint damage is permanent.

A DIYer can do a rubbing compound (light) or even a polishing compound to smooth out the etching till smooth. Coat of polish esp on dark colors like the burgundy and black to bring back the lustre and then a few coats of wax.

Best case is a full hood repaint and some sort of wax of paint sealant to keep it from happening again.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: WWAF stains on hood how to remove #218197
August 02, 2003 02:01 pm UTC
August 02, 2003 02:01 pm UTC
Etobocoke
T
Tony Lowell Offline OP
Tony Lowell  Offline OP
T
Etobocoke
Thank you for the replies.

The car is black and the stains were there when I bought it. It has been waxed using that expensive Ferrari 2 day three step method. As KW Mitsibushi is working with me on this project I'll see if I can buy a new hood if they still exist to keep it vintage but I'm afraid it won't come with the original underhood stickers. I understand the Mitsibushi Chrysler split up left Chrysler in charge of the original manufacturing plant, it is still building some type of car so they may still have some DSM inventory.

I'll ask them about the warranty even though it's expired (they did my seat belt releases last month on warranty) and have them asess the viability of the rubbing compound solution as an option or maybe I'll be forced to have them repaint. I suppose cosmetic repairs are allowed so long as the parts are original. I did have them replace that leopard dotted decal on the passenger side as there was a tear in it. After all, the mechanical maintenance parts are new but still all Mitsibushi.

The car is not due for it's 3 month servicing until September so I'm sorry I won't be able to reply to Kapak with my solution until then.

Thanks again

Oh by the way it's a Black 91 Talon TSi FWD and I'll try to get to the Yorkdale meet one of these days.

Cheers Tony

The old guy 91TSi FWD vintage
Re: WWAF stains on hood how to remove #218198
August 02, 2003 04:51 pm UTC
August 02, 2003 04:51 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
Tony if the detailers couldnt get it out and then you are most likely looking at getting it repainted.

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.