April 28, 2006 06:22 pm UTC
April 28, 2006 06:22 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
So, after all is said and done, I had to go and get the one brand of aftermarket receiver that has no supporting accessories for it in order to use XM....

Panasonic decided to jump on the iPod bandwagon (OMG, don't get me started on iPods...)
and make their decks iPod ready......
This resulted in a design and interface change for the back, thus rendering the available Digital Smart cable adaptor for sat radio obsolete.

All the other manufacturers out there (that I know of) have retained their interfaces, so if you got a Pioneer, or a Sony, or a JVC or anything else, you can enjoy satellite radio today!

But not me! I just HAD to have Panasonic, didn't I. In my wisdom, I didn't discover this grievous problem until AFTER I got my new decks, and installed them.

Panasonic makes great hardware, with great-for-the-money features, all while not looking like a freaking clown show in the car with silly animations and blinky lights.

The end result is some great sounding equipment..........but I cannot use my XM stuff until the appropriate adaptor cable becomes available (and no one can say when those will be on the market for sure at this point)

Well, at least I am consistant:
EVERYTHING I do, or attempt to do has to be riddled with complications. (sigh)

rant/off

I want an RS4.
Re: Satellite Radio woe, cont'd.... #221300
April 28, 2006 09:39 pm UTC
April 28, 2006 09:39 pm UTC
K-W Region
Nate Fullerton Offline
Serious Member
Nate Fullerton  Offline
Serious Member
K-W Region
Can't go wrong with Pioneer, Leave the Panansonic in the house.... bird

Are you sure there isn't a independant company that makes one to work with your deck?

Its normally the CD changer (obsolite itself)plug that interfaces with the XM controller.

Sorry about your luck. Whats the store you bought the decks from return policy? most are 30 days.....

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Awd SOLD
1997 Jeep TJ Sahara 35"s, winch, stuff like that.
Re: Satellite Radio woe, cont'd.... #221301
April 28, 2006 11:36 pm UTC
April 28, 2006 11:36 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
I bought the decks online from Cardomain.com
Returns aren't that hard, but just time consuming seeing that they have to be shipped back, and are subject to a restocking fee if nothing is wrong with them.

As for the adaptors, TERK makes the harness that goes along with specific decks.
I spoke to a rep from Crutchfield, and a new harness is in the works, so it should be available in the near future.

In the meantime, I was sold a CD changer plug that made the XMD100PAN digital adaptor comply with the Panasonic deck, but the deck did not recognize the XM radio receiver when it was all hooked up; I guess in the end, the deck is "looking" for a CD changer, and that's all.
Even resetting the deck doesn't fix this, so I am simply out of luck until the missing link in the chain becomes available.

Pioneer does make a great deck, no arguments there. I just went with Panasonic because I liked the looks, and the features, and because I'm a total idiot who likes to do things the hard way.

I want an RS4.