Happened about six months ago. I parked it until now, as I did not have time to even think about it with school. I've started on it myself, in my garage, and so far have come pretty far. Except for the Haynes manual screwing me a couple of times (it says you must remove the center camshaft bolt, the one with the 1/2" drive hole in it, to remove the lower timing belt shroud. You definitely DO NOT), things have gone well. I'm at a critical point where I either half ass it and change the timing belt and the four damaged valves, or I do the total package, such as the water pump, tensioner, all 16 valves, seats, etc... The cost difference is about $700-$800. I know many of you will say that if I plan to keep the car, do it all. The issue is that all this work was done, by the previous owners, when the belt broke on them 50K ago. Most of this stuff is new, and I'm strapped for cash.

I could change the bare minimum now, and in another 50k, do the whole package (including the timing belt again). My biggest fear is that since the belt broke so prematurely, some other component caused it.

Also, the belt was really bunched up around the oil pump, so I would suspect it may have caused the failure. The other suspect is the balance shaft belt breaking, and taking out the timing belt.

I don't know much about cars; all I can really do is follow directions in a manual. When it comes time to troubleshoot, I'm not comfortable with my ability. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.