ontario canada
F
FrankHagar Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
FrankHagar  Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
F
ontario canada
im stuck on buying this tsi awd turbo 1996 with 16g turbo and a sh!t load of other goodies for 4000 $$ it has 245 xx km. is it worth my money or should i keep looking please help me im stuck on this

Re: i dont know .... [Re: FrankHagar] #260654
April 01, 2008 08:12 am UTC
April 01, 2008 08:12 am UTC
Brampon, ON
Joe Esmama Offline
Insane Member
Joe Esmama  Offline
Insane Member
Brampon, ON
1. Wrong topic forum.

2. How are you stuck with this car? The guy had you by your balls and offered to cut it off if you didnt buy the car?

Is the car mechanically fit? Any rust/dents? Is it leaking oil? Need new tires? Needs a battery? needs headlight fluid? needs a new fusion reactor?

Okay kidding aside, seriously what is wrong with the car? If this is your first DSM, you need at least half of your funds allocated for parts you need to buy (after purchasing the car), and if you dont like getting your hands dirty...

then dont buy the car.

I almost forgot what 2nd and reverse gear feels like.
Re: i dont know .... [Re: Joe Esmama] #260656
April 01, 2008 11:35 am UTC
April 01, 2008 11:35 am UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Jeff Mitchell  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
J
Mississauga, Ontario
Frank, please try to use proper spelling and grammar when posting. Your post is hard to read, and as a result I almost couldn't be bothered to post a reply. I'm sure others didn't...

The price is not that bad if the car is in good shape. Consider what else you could buy for $4k, not much. Search through the Auto Trader and the WTS section of this board for a better idea of what the current values are.

There should be lots of posts on this board talking about what to check if you're buying a DSM. Off the top of my head, the most important things to me would be to check if it has a 6-bolt (replaced) or the cars original 7-bolt engine. The 6-bolt would make it more valuable since the 7-bolts sometimes get crankwalk (search). Also do a compression test to make sure the engine is in good shape. Check for rust under the hood around the shock towers and under the trunk floor. Check that the balljoints are good, especially the front lower compression arms. Make sure that it idles well and has no trouble revving up to 7500 RPMs.

That's all I can think of that's DSM-specific right now. Beyond that, check the usual things (clutch not slipping, good tires, fluid leaks, everything works and runs well, etc)