May 22, 2008 07:43 pm UTC
May 22, 2008 07:43 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
This can be discussed to death. I guess I will just continue to drive the way I CHOOSE to, and pay the fines on those rare occasions when they catch me. After all, they really don't WANT to impound my vehicle, OR make the roads a safer place, for that matter. If they did, they would get a lot of them morons off the road...and definitely out of the left lane. All they REALLY want is my money, so I will just pay up when caught, and that is that....

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #266511
May 22, 2008 07:51 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Since the 50 over law, my new slogan has been "know the limit, speed within it".

Before the law, I was not adding 50 to every posted limit just to see how much I could have...

Good thing or bad? I don't know. If anything I probably am more aware of my speed, but I seem to care less about my position between 1 and 49 above the limit.
It gives the perception that the cops don't care so much about that bracket anymore as they focus so much on "street racing".

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #266512
Aylmer, Quebec
Gates Perry Offline
Insane Member
Gates Perry  Offline
Insane Member
Aylmer, Quebec
I agree with Ziggy. I'll do the time if I do the crime because I don't know a single person that has ever managed to remain within posted speed limits at all times. Don't even try to claim otherwise, you DSM-owning speed demons!

1990 TSi AWD - Got Boost? demon
1992 TSi AWD - R.I.P
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Gates Perry] #266527
May 22, 2008 08:57 pm UTC
May 22, 2008 08:57 pm UTC
Calgary, AB
Ryan Wopereis Offline
Serious Member
Ryan Wopereis  Offline
Serious Member
Calgary, AB
I read an article in The Star about Red from The Red Green Show (Steve Smith i believe his real name his). In the article he was talking about his Dodge Viper. I remember he said "I don't drive over the speed limit but I sure like getting there fast." I am the same way and that's why I drive fast cars. I definately drive over the speed limit 90% of the time but doing 160kmh really doesn't do sh!t for me. It's being able to get to that speed fast that I get the adrenaline from. I am sure a lot of people here share the same feeling. I agree with the statement that we all go through that young and foolish stage. everybody does. It's the stage where you feel that you are invisible and nothing on the road can hurt you. It's that same stage where you aren't thinking about the other drivers on the road. I remember when I first got my DSM my buddy and I were doing 240/250kmh down the highway in the middle of the day. I look back on that now and think about what could have happened and the consequences of something happening at that speed. To be honest it scares the sh!t out of me thinking about it. I won't do it again. Some kids aren't as fortunate and something does happen to them. I suppose that's life and there isn't much we can do about it other than preach what we've learned to others.

08 Eclipse GT-P Spyder
96 TSi AWD - 2.3L Sroker w/all the goodies
06 Ram 3500 Cummins
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Wopereis] #266541
May 22, 2008 10:36 pm UTC
May 22, 2008 10:36 pm UTC
Mississauga, ON
Ju Chen Offline
Serious Member
Ju Chen  Offline
Serious Member
Mississauga, ON
I'm the same way. 10 over on 50+ zones and 120kph on highways is about as fast as I'll go unless i really need to make a quick lane switch then i speed up then slow down to the limit.

getting to the limit fast is what it's about. every car can hit 150+ if not 200 these days, nothing special about that. when it's clear, i'll boot it to the limit sometime, but that's about it.

once upon a time I was a stupid driver...hydroplaning on the highway because i wanted to run through the giant puddle, chasing a bike at over 200+, driving at 180 to work, etc...now i'm done. even my gf's dad thinks i'm a slow driver now lol.

'02 BMW ///M3
'95 TSi AWD - Sold
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ju Chen] #266545
May 22, 2008 10:55 pm UTC
May 22, 2008 10:55 pm UTC
Brampon, ON
Joe Esmama Offline
Insane Member
Joe Esmama  Offline
Insane Member
Brampon, ON
I just hope you guys wear your seatbelts ALL the time. Ive seen too many retards at work that dont wear their seatbelts and well... they pay for it, big time.

I almost forgot what 2nd and reverse gear feels like.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Joe Esmama] #266551
May 22, 2008 11:54 pm UTC
May 22, 2008 11:54 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I love Rob's slogan..."know the limit, and speed within it"...
And I think he is right. They are concentrating so much on the 50 over street racers, they are letting almost everything else slip by. Last year I went through a speed trap at 140 and he just gave me an admonishing wave of the finger, didn't come after me...of course, maybe he felt awkward pulling over a scooter at 40 over the limit??

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #266558
May 23, 2008 12:31 am UTC
May 23, 2008 12:31 am UTC
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Or he just knew that nobody would believe him or his radar, and the finger is the most he could give you!
And if he gave chase, imagine the embarassment if he somehow lost you? smile

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Rob Strelecki] #266562
May 23, 2008 01:18 am UTC
May 23, 2008 01:18 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
Originally Posted by Rob Strelecki
Or he just knew that nobody would believe him or his radar, and the finger is the most he could give you!
And if he gave chase, imagine the embarassment if he somehow lost you? smile
rotflmao Go Ziggy! lol

2g awd, Back to dsms here I come.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Jay McClelland] #266580
May 23, 2008 03:31 am UTC
May 23, 2008 03:31 am UTC
Colborne, ON
Kevin Jenkins Offline
Serious Member
Kevin Jenkins  Offline
Serious Member
Colborne, ON
Speed limits are to make money, if they cared about safety they would put limiters on ALL cars at 120km/h but this has all been said before.

I don't care how fast people want to drive on the highway, that's what it's for but if you do 110 stay the f out of the left hand lane, and really, stay the hell out of the middle lane too, granny.

'97 Talon TSi AWD
'92 Talon T/NT For Sale
'00 Subaru Forester
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Kevin Jenkins] #266592
May 23, 2008 04:53 am UTC
May 23, 2008 04:53 am UTC
Toronto
T
Tony Thoppil Offline
Tony Thoppil  Offline
T
Toronto
I dont think there is any correlation between the speeds people drive on the highway and their ability as a driver. Every one considers themselves a superior driver than the guy next to him and uses this sort of thinking to justify their EXCESSIVE speeding.

"I can handle myself at 200km/h on a public highway, no problem. I've done it once and I will do it again and come out just fine, everytime."

Its only a matter of time before you hurt yourself or someone else because of your stupidity. Comparing a Canadian highway to the Autobahn is pointless.

If you want to push your car, do it on a track. There is nothing to prove on a public highway that is used by everyone, grannies included.

Last edited by Tony Thoppil; May 23, 2008 04:59 am UTC.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Tony Thoppil] #266599
May 23, 2008 12:00 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 12:00 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Not trying to prove a thing, just trying to get where I am going. And you are right, you can't compare a Canadian highway to the Autobahn...on the autobahn, everyone on there KNOWS how to drive....

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #266605
May 23, 2008 12:47 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 12:47 pm UTC
Colborne, ON
Kevin Jenkins Offline
Serious Member
Kevin Jenkins  Offline
Serious Member
Colborne, ON
I'm not sure what people think but the autobahn isn't some crazy highway with really wide lanes and straightaways for 100's of kilometers. The autobahn is the entire freeway system in Germany and it is constructed exactly the same as our highways only, as Ziggy said, people in Germany know how to drive.

I drove across Germany and I didn't see a single person pass on the inside. Know why? Because there are no dummies going slow in the left hand lane. There are strict fines for passing on the inside and I know people will get warnings for sitting in the left hand lane going slowly.

If you don't know how to use the freeway properly, stay on highway 2.

'97 Talon TSi AWD
'92 Talon T/NT For Sale
'00 Subaru Forester
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Kevin Jenkins] #266606
May 23, 2008 01:25 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 01:25 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
They don't just get WARNINGS for being in the left hand lane if not passing, it is ILLEGAL (as it is here). Only difference, there this is ENFORCED. Also, there they would rather enforce the "no driving on the left, and no passing on the right" rules to make the roads safer. Here they tell us "stay in a single line like lemmings, never change lanes, that is dangerous, set the speed limit ridiculously slow, and then pull over everyone they can as a cash grab.

There is SOME difference in the actual roads. They limit the amount of bend in the roads on the autobahn, they slightly bank some curves, and they do NOT have the potholes and irregular surfaces we have here. The autobahns are METICULOUSLY maintained. And they DO in high traffic areas and at high traffic times lower the speed limits. The DON'T select some arbitraty number like "100" as a general maximum at all times and under all conditions.

I guess the difference is, they seem to have put some thought into it, and make some sense...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Kevin Jenkins] #266607
May 23, 2008 01:36 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 01:36 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Which is why we need the 'draconian' laws that we do. I don't like them, but I never complained when I got ticketed.

Heh, I hit you hard like that to shake you on that high horse a bit, Ryan. According to everyone I know, my experience, and the fact that I managed a rather good time on my first and only auto-X run, lets me think that I AM a good, safe, driver. You're absolutely right about your comments on the laws protecting other people, and I AM concerned about people speeding the way you mentioned. The people that watch others go fast and think that they can do it, too, or ones that do it in cars not geared for it. As fast as I CAN drive, I'm also the guy that drives under the speed limit when conditions permit, watching others crash around him. Traffic also tends to flow a bit better after I go through, and it's nice to watch people's faces light up after they watch what I've done, do the same thing, and get through the jam that much quicker along with clearing the jam itself.

Too many people concentrate on turning the circle and pushing the pedals, and don't think about traffic flow and such. As Mario Andretti said, "Sometimes you can be faster by slowing down."

Our roads are different down here, Ryan. I COMPLETELY change my style in the conditions you mention (lots of intersections, open country, etc.). Lots more variables then, like you mention. Not as many teenagers here stand in the middle of them getting high. wink And think about what you said, you had time to react at 110, at 120 you just have to be a hair faster. At 140, THEN you would have had a problem. (And I'll bet that stupid girl let you tear a strip off her, but now thinks, "That a$$hole was just driving too fast. *I* didn't do anything wrong." Which is why I think auto-driven cars can't come soon enough. There's a LOT more of them then there are of us.) Heck, if I was in the car with you, I might have said you were driving too fast. wink

And yes, I understand perfectly the difference between a quick accelerating car and a fast one, thank you. But I also see people being idiots with them by dropping back in traffic, then flooring it to within an inch of the car in front of them, repeat, repeat... And cops will pull you over just as fast for 'excessive acceleration' or 'stunting'. As for dual-purpose? Nah. I'd have a sufficiently good car for normal use and something more specialized, like an Atom or Formula Ford, for the track.

You guys talk about breaking laws and getting away with it (noise laws, emissions, etc.) all the time with the attitude of 'it doesn't apply to us'. This is the same. I totally agree, not that it doesn't apply, but that the SPIRIT of the law is adhered to (you pass emissions tests with no EGR system or cat-con) although you don't follow the law itself. It comes down to trust. If you drove with me, then you'd understand.

As for highways, Grant has the right of it. But those standards were written for pre-70s era tech, and were only brought down when the gas-crunch hit in the early 70's. They remain in effect because of the revenue they generate, and partially because of the housing explosion since then. (You don't know how much it grates me that the people in charge think of the revenue before the safety factor.) I've doubled the limit on ramps in slippery conditions without breaking a sweat, even in a 'cheap' car with 'cheap' tires. It's the one thing that makes me feel safer with some of the drivers out there, so I'm not going to suggest they drive any faster than what they do. wink

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Troy Jollimore] #266609
May 23, 2008 01:45 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 01:45 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline OP
Serious Member
Grant Redfern  Offline OP
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
seems as though this 17 yr old punk started quite the debate smile

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266611
May 23, 2008 02:36 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:36 pm UTC
Pickering, ON
Nick Boers Offline
Insane Member
Nick Boers  Offline
Insane Member
Pickering, ON
Originally Posted by Grant Redfern
seems as though this 17 yr old punk started quite the debate smile

This debate is always ready to explode. The same participants, the same opinions. All it needs is a suitable trigger.

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266612
May 23, 2008 02:39 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:39 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

Belleville, Ontario
That it does Grant.

Well Troy, I am happy to say my record is completely clean Probably why I pay $88/mo at the age of 22 on a 2 door AWD Turbocharged sports car. That's full coverage with loss of use as well.

To me, it doesn't matter if I get to my destination a whole FIVE MINUTES later than I would have if I was doing 40 over. Let's do some math shall we?

Distance to destination: 150km

120 km/h = 12 km driven every 6 minutes
140 km/h = 14 km driven every 6 minutes

150/12 = 12.5 * 6 = 75 minutes
150/14 = 10.71 * 6 = 64.26 minutes

Grand total: 10.74 minutes

So, doing 40 over the speed limit gets you there 10.74 minutes faster, however you burned a lot more gas than driving 120 km/h seeing as how most vehicles begin to loose their aerodynamic efficiencies over the speed of 110.

So, do I do the 140 so I can get there faster? Look at the real differences in time. Plus, you get the added bonus of possibly owing money to the "Cash Grab" we call speeding fines.

20 over = $95 minimum
40 over = $295 Minimum

^^ Correct me if I'm wrong on the above.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266614
May 23, 2008 02:42 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:42 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
10.74 minutes = approximately $11. less $3. approx. additional fuel = $8. ahead on each trip. If I make 37 trips without getting caught, I am ahead of the game, even at 40 over.

And if I were caught every 37th time I speeded, I would have starved to death LONG ago...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266616
May 23, 2008 02:45 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:45 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
The actual fines associated with speeding tickets are the absolute LEAST of your concerns.

The 3 year impact that every ticket has on your insurance rating is far, far greater. Trust me on that one.

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266617
May 23, 2008 02:50 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:50 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

Ryan Laliberte  Offline

Belleville, Ontario
Ziggy... how about we agree to disagree? wink

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266618
May 23, 2008 02:51 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:51 pm UTC
Kitchener
Michael Certain Offline
Serious Member
Michael Certain  Offline
Serious Member
Kitchener
I never understood why the argument of choice is:
1. You don't get there much quicker.
2. You don't save gas.

If I wanted to have a boring driving experience and save gas, I'd have a Honda Civic or something. I don't drive home from the store hoping to shave 21 seconds from the trip. I drive home at a speed that's enjoyable to me.

It's like being given the choice between a $12 a ticket 2 hr Michael Bay movie and a free 1 hr 50 minute documentary about snails and bugs on TVO. Speed and money are not issues. Wanting to poke my own eye out from boredom is smile

The moment a turbo spools, all your dreams are made possible.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266619
May 23, 2008 02:52 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:52 pm UTC
Kitchener
Michael Certain Offline
Serious Member
Michael Certain  Offline
Serious Member
Kitchener
Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
Ziggy... how about we agree to disagree? wink

If he disagrees, is that really an agreement?
laugh

The moment a turbo spools, all your dreams are made possible.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Michael Certain] #266620
May 23, 2008 02:55 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:55 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

Ryan Laliberte  Offline

Belleville, Ontario
It's not that Michael, I am just pointing out that the risks if you are caught greatly outweigh the benefits.

But, to each his own. I still wouldn't worry about driving on the road with Ziggy, or any of you guys on the road with me.

Anyway... too bad for that kid who got busted, hope he gets a cell mate with the name "Bubba".

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266621
May 23, 2008 02:58 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 02:58 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline OP
Serious Member
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte

Anyway... too bad for that kid who got busted, hope he gets a cell mate with the name "Bubba".

I'm gonna predict a 3 year license suspenion. Seen it happen before.

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266624
May 23, 2008 03:35 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 03:35 pm UTC
Calgary, AB
Ryan Wopereis Offline
Serious Member
Ryan Wopereis  Offline
Serious Member
Calgary, AB
For some people time is money. If I get caught speeding chances are I made that money back a long time ago. I am not talking excessive speeds like 150kmh but I am talking over the speed limit. My boss drives in the commuter lane on his way to work. He said that if he were to get ticketed once a week for doing so, he would still have made that money back and he would consider it worth it. He hasn't been caught yet. This is not to say that any of this is acceptable however it goes to show that there are so many angles to this argument. Who really knows who/if anybody is right. As it was mentioned before, this argument could go on for days. However, in regards to the topic at hand, has anybody heard any updates on this kid?

08 Eclipse GT-P Spyder
06 Ram 3500 Cummins
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Wopereis] #266626
May 23, 2008 03:38 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 03:38 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

Ryan Laliberte  Offline

Belleville, Ontario
That may be Ryan, however did your boss consider the repercussions of insurance rates?

Too many speeding tickets = loss of license. Personally, if time was money and I needed my license, I would be making sure I didn't lose it.

15-29 over = 3 demerit pts and it stays on your record for 3 years.

Get caught doing 20 over 5 times in 3 years = bye bye license.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266629
May 23, 2008 04:29 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 04:29 pm UTC
Calgary, AB
Ryan Wopereis Offline
Serious Member
Ryan Wopereis  Offline
Serious Member
Calgary, AB
"IF" you are caught. His decision not mine but it seems to be working for him. The point of that post was to support the point that everybody will have different opinions. It's useless arguing over this topic as it has been said before.

08 Eclipse GT-P Spyder
06 Ram 3500 Cummins
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Troy Jollimore] #266631
May 23, 2008 04:40 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 04:40 pm UTC
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore
As for dual-purpose? Nah. I'd have a sufficiently good car for normal use and something more specialized, like an Atom or Formula Ford, for the track.

You guys talk about breaking laws and getting away with it (noise laws, emissions, etc.) all the time with the attitude of 'it doesn't apply to us'. This is the same. I totally agree, not that it doesn't apply, but that the SPIRIT of the law is adhered to (you pass emissions tests with no EGR system or cat-con) although you don't follow the law itself. It comes down to trust. If you drove with me, then you'd understand.

OK Troy, time to hand in your DSM badge, and possibly your man card.

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Rob Strelecki] #266632
May 23, 2008 04:51 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 04:51 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I'm not agreeing to anything.....wouldn't be in my nature smile

I am as disagreeable as it gets... wink

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #266670
May 23, 2008 09:36 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 09:36 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Heh. I'm about to do the same thing with my Passat, Rob. I'm just saying there are people that criticize others for speeding, and then go light up a joint and harp about how it doesn't harm others, and shouldn't be illegal. Nothing's wrong when it's what YOU want to do. wink

It's part of the reason for your insurance, Ryan. I started off paying the same rates as you, and then they leapt into the stratosphere (no change from my clean record then). I was paying the same rates as you, even when I had a ticket on my record. (Which wasn't even my fault. wink )

And again, I totally agree with you. You're actually wrong in that aerodynamic drag overcomes rolling resistance at only 90kph. Try driving that distance sticking to 90 and REALLY see some savings. I was never in a hurry enough that I HAD to speed, even when I was late. I did it for the enjoyment. Still do. Like you say, I laugh at everyone screaming through traffic that I catch up with within a few minutes. Even considering my time as being worth $120 or more an hour, I don't think about it.

When I worked 135kms from home at a University, a co-worker would leave and drive at a speed of 140-160kph so he wouldn't be late. Cost him a fortune. And it always boggled his mind how I could drive around 120kph...and BEAT him there. wink Or you can consider the drive I once made to Digby. Late at night, deserted highway. AVERAGE speed was 160kph. 300kms in less than 2 hours (passed a cop, slowed from 210 to 160 to be 'safe' while approaching (not knowing it was a cop) in case something happened, he flashed his lights at me and continued on...) but it took almost a full tank of gas. Drive home took 2hrs, 30 minutes averaging ~120kph., About 1/2 tank of gas. wink

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Troy Jollimore] #266672
May 23, 2008 10:01 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 10:01 pm UTC
Brampon, ON
Joe Esmama Offline
Insane Member
Joe Esmama  Offline
Insane Member
Brampon, ON
Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore
Late at night, deserted highway. AVERAGE speed was 160kph. 300kms in less than 2 hours (passed a cop, slowed from 210 to 160 to be 'safe' while approaching (not knowing it was a cop) in case something happened, he flashed his lights at me and continued on...)

And he didnt pull you over?? WTF? If that was me, i'd probably get the whole dept on my ass.

I almost forgot what 2nd and reverse gear feels like.
Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Joe Esmama] #266682
May 23, 2008 10:23 pm UTC
May 23, 2008 10:23 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

Ryan Laliberte  Offline

Belleville, Ontario
Probably because it was too dangerous to pursue and by the time he caught up to him, Troy would have been gone.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #266750
May 24, 2008 12:54 pm UTC
May 24, 2008 12:54 pm UTC
parts unknown
john putzu Offline
Serious Member
john putzu  Offline
Serious Member
parts unknown
Your only speeding when you get caught. Lesson don't get caught.

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: john putzu] #266891
May 26, 2008 01:31 pm UTC
May 26, 2008 01:31 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
I think he saw me slow down and pull over a bit, and figured I was on the safe side. It was a long enough straight where he could have turned and still kept me in sight, and I probably would have stopped for him. As many times as I've gotten tickets for stupid reasons (speeding up to avoid accidents, forgetting and going 15kph over, etc.) I still can't bring myself to run, even given the opportunity. The speed limit is still a LAW. You get pulled over for breaking it, that's just your bad luck. You have no right to complain.

There's a stretch of 2-way highway here that goes across a straight (passing zone, then no-passing) starts a steep downhill (SHORT passing zone, even though you can't see over the crest) and continues a long downhill through a sweeping right into an equally steep uphill. Approaching traffic has 2 lanes to allow uphill passing. I'd followed a slower car (okay, it was doing the limit at 100kph) and pulled out to pass (forgot it was a short zone) at ~110kph and ran out of passing lane with the car I was passing right beside me. An RCMP cruiser comes out to pass the first oncoming car. I hit the brakes to fall back and tuck in behind the car I was passing, but he does the same thing. I speed up, HE speeds up... So I'm seconds from impact with the cop. I anticipate the car beside me braking as I'm about to, so I hammered the accelerator, shot to about 160kph and got back in just beforehand. Off course, the cruiser's lights go on and he pulls over to make a U-turn, but he has a 1/4 mile lineup of traffic behind him. I have a HUGE avenue to escape through the downhill at rather high velocity (and having just gotten a stupid ticket recently, I'd sworn I'd never stop again)... I curse a bit and pull over to wait.

The cop was rather friendly and nice while I explained myself to him, but he definitely made it clear that while he would have been understanding anyway, the reason he let me off without even a warning was that I was gracious enough not to make him chase me down. wink

Re: 239km/h in an 80 zone? That's Bold. [Re: Grant Redfern] #266967
May 27, 2008 12:34 am UTC
May 27, 2008 12:34 am UTC
Bampton, Ontario
L
Lance Daoust Offline
Lance Daoust  Offline
L
Bampton, Ontario
The NEWS is not ever NEWS. It is just like the bible or m kid's fair tales. The foundation is in truth but they dress it up with extravagant extras to coerce you into believing something that part of a larger agenda.

This speeder law is an example. It is a fairy tale of protecting the innocent (the free people) from insane speeders (terrorists) by putting down severe penalties (police state mentality).

Be glad this is not Florida - they have a new law where the fine is the easy part and jail time is the new standard, and it's for less severe actions.

That Lincoln cannot get up to that speed with that many people in it without significant runway. The cops are finger painting the story and there are not enough intelligent people out there to question it. They win.

No wheels at the moment.
http://www.parentsplace.ca
Page 2 of 2 1 2