December 06, 2008 04:50 pm UTC
December 06, 2008 04:50 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
So I was at the shop yesterday when my new DSM guru cracked the transmission open for the first time in the cars life.

All in all, it was in great shape, but 1st and 2nd gear are pretty badly worn, and there was excessive play on the shaft.
This is what was causing the weird noise I had discovered as of late. One set of tapered roller bearings was badly pitted and other mating surfaces were scored because of the shaft movement I had....this would explain why 1st was sometimes difficult to get into, as well as reverse.
Nothing really "broken" but all signs of a transmission that has seen 215K kms.
Sadly, this will be the costliest refresh yet, so I guess I'd better just look at the bright side in that my car will drive like new when I get it back in a couple of weeks.
All the consumable parts will be replaced, and I will take the time to replace my motor mounts with urethane ones as well.

Could be worse though, I could be the guy with the green GSX on the hoist who completely grenaded his bottom end.
I should have take pictures, but this guy blew two holes in the block, and the pieces blew a hole through his transfer case and shattered part of the starter...ouch.
Suddenly a few worn bearings on a transmission doesn't look so bad.

I want an RS4.
Re: Well.could be worse I guess.... [Re: Dan Sarkar] #285433
December 06, 2008 06:57 pm UTC
December 06, 2008 06:57 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Loc: Loc:
That must be expensive...
Since you're stateside already, I have to ask - why not a Shep trans or similar?

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Well.could be worse I guess.... [Re: Rob Strelecki] #285436
December 06, 2008 08:03 pm UTC
December 06, 2008 08:03 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
well, I am going to look into that as soon as my tech gives me an estimate.
I am thinking shep or Team Rip.
The thing is, my tranny has some ugly wear on the first and second gear cogs....if I ship my trans to Shep/TRE for a core exchange, I wonder if they would charge me more for the repair my core would need in order to bring it up to their standards.
TRE has an exchange program where they will ship you a prebuilt tranny and you send them yours back.
I am already into the labour for taking my tranny out and taking it apart, so I need to figure out the more cost efficient route, because it's getting up there in cost.
Anyway, I'll find out more next week.

BTW, Rob, I like your avatar.
I couldn't agree more.

I want an RS4.