December 31, 2008 08:58 pm UTC
December 31, 2008 08:58 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
Well, my transmission is all done with shiny new guts, and the motor is cradled with all new urethane mounts......but my dampers are done.

I am taking the time while the car is still in the shop to replace my 5 year old Tokico blues with a set of Koni Yellow adjustables.
Can anyone vouch for these struts? my research has yielded nothing but positive feedback for the quality and ride of the Koni's
However, personal experience is my best gauge for whether something is good or not, so if anyone has any thoughts/xp with these struts, please chime in.

They will be paired with the Apex springs I currently have in the car. All supporting hardware -balljoints, bushings, control arms are all new, the struts themselves are the only parts that haven't been replaced in 5 years.....so I am kind of hoping for a dramatic improvement in ride quality.

Happy New year!

I want an RS4.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Dan Sarkar] #287304
December 31, 2008 09:55 pm UTC
December 31, 2008 09:55 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Mike Degli Angeli Offline
Insane Member
Mike Degli Angeli  Offline
Insane Member
M
Pickering
I don't know if this applies to 2gs but it is definitely a concern for1g guys is that a koni shock body is roughly an inch longer than most other shock housings therefore the likelyhood of bottoming out the shocks becomes a concern on a car that is lowered. I know from experience that anything over an inch drop and some agressive driving will bottom outthe strut.

Otherwise all i've heard is great things about them. Best valuefor the money when it comes to struts. Look up prices on blistens and ohlins, not that they make any specifically for DSM but wow can you drop some money on struts.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #287344
January 01, 2009 03:00 pm UTC
January 01, 2009 03:00 pm UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scott McIntyre Offline
Serious Member
Scott McIntyre  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Everything you could ever want to know about shocks & DSMs: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Scott McIntyre] #287464
January 02, 2009 06:59 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 06:59 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Dan's too rich (and too soft wink ) to be into super-performance stats... *Laugh*

The Konis will be fine, Dan. Plus they're adjustable so you can tone the ride down if you find it a bit harsh. Still won't be as perfect a ride as the A3, though. wink

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Troy Jollimore] #287468
January 02, 2009 07:26 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 07:26 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Mike Degli Angeli Offline
Insane Member
Mike Degli Angeli  Offline
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore
Dan's too rich (and too soft wink ) to be into super-performance stats... *Laugh*

The Konis will be fine, Dan. Plus they're adjustable so you can tone the ride down if you find it a bit harsh. Still won't be as perfect a ride as the A3, though. wink

Koni's are not externally adjustable like a set of AGXs would be. You need to take them off the car to adjust them.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Troy Jollimore] #287470
January 02, 2009 08:04 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 08:04 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington

Heeeeey, wait a minute.......I resent that.... what are you implying Troy? hahahaha
I do recall seeing this article a while ago when I was searching for info.....the thing that stuck out in my mind was: "hmm......I guess that means my tokicos are crap then...."

(sigh) I know....I was hoping that perhaps by upgrading to better dampers, I would be able to at least match the A3 in some respects....I have to stop comparing those two cars, given the 11 year age difference........and the fact that they are totally different cars. (as for going soft, I totally blame the A3's heated seats and other creature comforts for that)

In related news, with all the snow/ice we got here over the holidays, I got to do some Xtreme hardcore off roading with the A3.....you ever drive an S line equipped Audi with 18" all seasons through icy streets with 2" potholes? damn near shook the teeth right out of my skull.....I thought for sure I was going to break the thing....traction control got a workout and a half....wish I had the quattro.

Koni's are not externally adjustable like a set of AGXs would be. You need to take them off the car to adjust them.

The yellows are adjustable by way of knob (hee hee....knob)
They just aren't linear.....that tech article pointed out that often one shock doesn't match the other in terms of setting, so that will be kind of messy.
Other units have adjusters that click, the koni's don't.

Anyway, my guru is neck deep in rusted suspension parts so hopefully the battle will be successful, and I'll have a nice ride.

I want an RS4.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Dan Sarkar] #287474
January 02, 2009 09:08 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 09:08 pm UTC
Kingston
P
Paul Sitarski Offline
Serious Member
Paul Sitarski  Offline
Serious Member
P
Kingston
I had koni yellows on my car for the past 10 years and they are still like new, they are set to about 3/4 full and are adjustable by a knob on the top of the shock.

TPG+Meth
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Paul Sitarski] #287476
January 02, 2009 09:14 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 09:14 pm UTC
St. John's, NL
M
Mike Hiscott Offline
Serious Member
Mike Hiscott  Offline
Serious Member
M
St. John's, NL
I've got a set in my car and they're great for auto slalom when you stiffen them up. I run GC coilovers on them in the summer, and stock springs in the winter. Since the snow I've set them on full soft and the ride is pretty nice, yet the car still handles well even with stock springs.

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Mike Hiscott] #287477
January 02, 2009 10:01 pm UTC
January 02, 2009 10:01 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
Sounds like I was doing myself a disservice by going with the Tokicos to the point where I probably have NEVER experienced a proper ride in my car in the 8 years I have owned it.

Right now, the entire struts are being refreshed from top to bottom (hats and misc parts are too rusted/worn out to reuse)
So perhaps some of those annoying little pops and creaks will be fixed along with improved ride....here's hoping.
Sounds like the Koni's were a good choice then (short of getting Penske or Bilstein)

I want an RS4.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #287520
January 03, 2009 12:54 pm UTC
January 03, 2009 12:54 pm UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scott McIntyre Offline
Serious Member
Scott McIntyre  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli

Mike, that pertains to 1G's only. Dan's 2G Konis are externally adjustable.

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Dan Sarkar] #287521
January 03, 2009 12:57 pm UTC
January 03, 2009 12:57 pm UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scott McIntyre Offline
Serious Member
Scott McIntyre  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Originally Posted by Dan Sarkar
Sounds like the Koni's were a good choice then (short of getting Penske or Bilstein)

As the linked article suggests, Koni Sports are the best off-the-shelf shocks you can get for our cars. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I've been quite happy with mine over the past 5 years. smile

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Scott McIntyre] #287609
January 04, 2009 10:14 pm UTC
January 04, 2009 10:14 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
My FWD Passat with the 17" new Yoko Advan S4's handled SO well in heavy snow, packed snow, slush and glare ice, I considered keeping them on year-round. wink Driving with the TC off made for a bit of a different experience, but was still not too bad. Just can't beat Euro cars for balance, even though they're technically front-heavy.

And don't be so hard on yourself. The Tokicos probably weren't 'crap'. The line between the level of the Konis and something like a KYB GR-2 is so thin that you'd have to be in competition to really know the difference.

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Troy Jollimore] #288180
January 08, 2009 04:35 pm UTC
January 08, 2009 04:35 pm UTC
Redmond, Washington
Dan Sarkar Offline OP
Serious Member
Dan Sarkar  Offline OP
Serious Member
Redmond, Washington
Well, after a month of surgery, I got my car back on Tuesday smile

I can't say for sure if the Koni's make a dramatic improvement over what I had before, but I find peace in the fact that all the undercarriage hardware is new and corrosion free, and that just makes the car feel better in my own head.
Gone are the little pops and creaks that bugged me before, and the car does feel smoother going over road imperfections, as one would expect with new suspension.

The transmission shifts as it should, again, no dramatic improvement, but no more mysterious noise in 2nd gear anymore either, coupled with the knowledge that the internals are all new and functioning as they were intended.

The most noticeable change though is with the urethane motor mounts. During start up and idling, the car certainly vibrates more and it will take getting used to, but it's no big deal.

It's just really nice to finally have my car back, and for that I am thankful.

Hey Troy, I tried turning off the TC on the A3 during one snowy day just to see what would happen....ugh.
Definitely getting snow tires for it next year, that's for sure.

I want an RS4.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Dan Sarkar] #289449
January 24, 2009 02:02 am UTC
January 24, 2009 02:02 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
So that link? does that mean KYB's are not good? or did I miss something.

Most dsm's I only see kyb's on. I guess maybe I shouldnt of just assumed they are the best shock.

2g awd, Back to dsms here I come.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Jay McClelland] #289452
January 24, 2009 02:11 am UTC
January 24, 2009 02:11 am UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scott McIntyre Offline
Serious Member
Scott McIntyre  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Originally Posted by Jay McClelland
So that link? does that mean KYB's are not good? or did I miss something.

Well, based on DG's shock dyno plots he considers them "crap". You'll have to read the full article to understand why.

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Scott McIntyre] #289456
January 24, 2009 03:01 am UTC
January 24, 2009 03:01 am UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline

FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline

FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
On the 1g the KYB's are a good shock, on the 2G the front KYB shock is to long believe.

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Tim Hunt] #289465
January 24, 2009 04:35 am UTC
January 24, 2009 04:35 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
ok, good to know =]

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Tim Hunt] #289467
January 24, 2009 05:10 am UTC
January 24, 2009 05:10 am UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
Daren Peacock Offline
Insane Member
Daren Peacock  Offline
Insane Member
Newmarket, Ontario
Originally Posted by Tim Hunt
On the 1g the KYB's are a good shock, on the 2G the front KYB shock is to long believe.

I'm not sure if its all KYB shocks or just the AGX's but I've always heard the rears are too long on the 2g's. Though I have also heard they have since revised them & are now the correct length. I do have a couple AGX rear doner shocks I'm not using & I just compared them to the Tokico shocks I just removed. The rears were right around .5" taller vs the Tokico's.

98 Eclipse GSX DSM82HTA
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Daren Peacock] #289651
January 26, 2009 03:38 pm UTC
January 26, 2009 03:38 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
KYBs are good value for not much money. If you have the cash, you can do better.

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Troy Jollimore] #289782
January 27, 2009 08:55 pm UTC
January 27, 2009 08:55 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
Maybe some day I can drop 3000 into suspension alone. Until then I will replace my kybs if or when they go.

Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Jay McClelland] #289857
January 28, 2009 05:56 pm UTC
January 28, 2009 05:56 pm UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scott McIntyre Offline
Serious Member
Scott McIntyre  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Koni Yellows for a 1G are $716.80 incl/shipping from shox.com. Throw in some lowering springs for ~$200 (or GC coil-overs for $400) and you've got a great suspension for around $1K... Far less than $3K. spy

Also, that link I posted previously spoke of the quality of various shocks, not whether its shock body was the proper length for DSM applications. It talked about all the negative traits discovered during shock dyno testing. Things like: adjusters that did absolutely nothing; adjusters that were nonlinear and exponential; adjusters that peaked in the middle of the adjustment range; shimstacks assembled upside-down; shocks where a front and rear shimstack had been exchanged; shocks that faded so fast (as they warmed up) that no two runs were ever alike; shocks with adjusters that varied by 10% on the same shock at the same setting; etc. Koni was pretty much the only off-the-shelf shock (available to our cars) that was listed in the not "crap" list. Sure, they may be pricier than KYB / Tokico / etc. but they're worth the price (and have a lifetime warranty).

Scott McIntyre
1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 Mitsu EVO X MR
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Scott McIntyre] #289858
January 28, 2009 06:28 pm UTC
January 28, 2009 06:28 pm UTC
Schomberg
T
Tashko Sarakinov Offline
Serious Member
Tashko Sarakinov  Offline
Serious Member
T
Schomberg

I haven't read the whole thread yet but shocks makes a world of difference on the cars performance and it's not just about cornering. Acceleration and braking can be greatly affected. Generally, you get what you pay for and then end up paying more eventually. When testing data is available to help make a purchase decision, it shouldn't be ignored.

Just an FYI that I can get Koni, Ground-Control, Eibach, and Bilstein stuff if you don't want to go through the US.

Last edited by Tashko Sarakinov; January 28, 2009 06:28 pm UTC.
Re: Koni Yellows.... [Re: Tashko Sarakinov] #289865
January 28, 2009 07:33 pm UTC
January 28, 2009 07:33 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
well I did not know they were 1gs. That was back in the day I started with dsm's though.

I want to get into autocross and lapping days now that I am all wheel drive. This year is kinda ruined cause I have to buy a car for a daily driver but. When I am looking into suspension I will take a look Tashko.

For now I got to get my car rolling before suspension is a concerned. Its looking like I wont hit the road in the talon till like august.