March 11, 2009 08:43 am UTC
March 11, 2009 08:43 am UTC
Ajax
M
Mike Sanders Offline
Mike Sanders  Offline
M
Ajax
You should also check out Cash Converters, they always have measuring tools.

92' TSI AWD
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Mike Sanders] #292858
March 11, 2009 11:19 am UTC
March 11, 2009 11:19 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Trust me....you WILL end up dropping them, or dropping something on them, or??? The $300. Mitutoyo tools, if you buy them, only bring them out for the fussiest of jobs. Buy a chinese vernier and mike for the everyday stuff. Like Tony said, doesn't feel near as bad when you drop a $30. vernier.

I THINK I have a brand new 0-4" Mike set I could sell you for about $90., and I THINK I have a brand new set of gauge blocks (grade B) I could sell for about $150. I can also get good deals on other tools, so let me know if you are looking for anything..

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #292884
March 11, 2009 06:17 pm UTC
March 11, 2009 06:17 pm UTC
Kitchener, Ontario
A
Adam Jakomait Offline
Adam Jakomait  Offline
A
Kitchener, Ontario
Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
I've learned that a lot of tools, you pay for the name.

Case in point:
Guy at one of our shops bought these allen key sets (SAE and Metric) from the Snap-On Truck. $35 a piece, they were 10 key sets.

Buddy went and bought the same sets at Wal-Mart, $9.99 a piece. Showed the guys what he bought and turns out the part number embedded on the plastic case was the EXACT same number as the Snap-On one!

My torque wrench, that I use daily, is an On-Sale $60 1/2 drive special from Mastercraft at Crappy. Works like a charm. Don't go thinking you will need to spend a high amount on tools. You will learn over time, there is a certain feel to tools you will get sick of; I've got a Powerfist Impact from Princess Auto, 450lbs torque.. HATE IT!! It's too heavy, and I'm looking at the IR Titanium 2135Q Gun, weighs 4lbs, and 780lbs torque. laugh demon

However, I've got a Powerfist die grinder, 24,000 rpms, love it! Good feel, light, easy to work with.

A lot of guys in the shop feel they need all the big names like Mac, Gray, Snap-On, etc. Granted, there are some things that are worth the money (Genius makes a killer deep impact socket set from 3/8 to 1.5") but some things aren't. A 12mm wrench is a 12mm wrench (I.E Mastercraft vs Mastercraft Maximum - Difference: Polished, little thinner)

Congrats on the job man!

I HATED the old shitty jobmate wrench set I had. Now I have a full set of metric/imperial long and stubby maximums, so much better. Especially since everything at Canadian Tire goes on sale for 1/2 price or less at some point.

I had a $150 Mitutoyo vernier stolen out of my work toolbox that I was supposed to send back to the supplier after my boss told me to just go get the $20 dollar Canadian tire one on sale. Needless to say the Canadian tire one got destroyed in a month BUT I just went and got a new one for free. I wish The Mitutoyo hadn't gotten stolen, good thing I didn't pay for it personally!

Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #292892
March 11, 2009 08:01 pm UTC
March 11, 2009 08:01 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline OP
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline OP
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich, RTM Racing
Trust me....you WILL end up dropping them, or dropping something on them, or??? The $300. Mitutoyo tools, if you buy them, only bring them out for the fussiest of jobs. Buy a chinese vernier and mike for the everyday stuff. Like Tony said, doesn't feel near as bad when you drop a $30. vernier.

I THINK I have a brand new 0-4" Mike set I could sell you for about $90., and I THINK I have a brand new set of gauge blocks (grade B) I could sell for about $150. I can also get good deals on other tools, so let me know if you are looking for anything..

Sweet, I will let you know once I am there. For now I will probably punk my brothers stuff. For he is on a different shift.

2g awd, Back to dsms here I come.
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Adam Jakomait] #292901
March 11, 2009 09:36 pm UTC
March 11, 2009 09:36 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Belleville, Ontario
Originally Posted by Adam Jakomait

I HATED the old shitty jobmate wrench set I had. Now I have a full set of metric/imperial long and stubby maximums, so much better. Especially since everything at Canadian Tire goes on sale for 1/2 price or less at some point.

I bought a set of "Sunex" brand imperial wrenches for work. 5/16ths to 1 1/4". HATED them, they were too thin and hurt when you were holding a nut and rattling the bolt with an impact. I was glad I got the Mastercraft ones, they have a nicer feel.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #292921
March 12, 2009 12:35 am UTC
March 12, 2009 12:35 am UTC
Pickering
L
Lukas Warzynski Offline
Serious Member
Lukas Warzynski  Offline
Serious Member
L
Pickering
Congrats Jay. Nice to hear you found work. smile

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Lukas Warzynski] #292925
March 12, 2009 12:42 am UTC
March 12, 2009 12:42 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline OP
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline OP
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
Thanks man. Thanks to all actually.

Im just glad I found a job. Not only that but it should be enough to get this talon on the road this spring.

2g awd, Back to dsms here I come.
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Tom McClelland] #292927
March 12, 2009 12:53 am UTC
March 12, 2009 12:53 am UTC
ON
B
Bradley Woodward Offline
Serious Member
Bradley Woodward  Offline
Serious Member
B
ON
I can tell you from recent experience that there is a glut of used machine tools and measurement equipment on the market from all of these shops going out of business. My work just picked up a full set of Mitutoyo mic's (0-1 plus 5 sizes up, bigest is like 8") for $100 at auction. Hell, for that matter we just bought a brand new, never used CNC lathe for 45% off the list price! Others misfortune can at least be someones gain.

BOOST...Boo-Yah
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #292951
March 12, 2009 03:22 am UTC
March 12, 2009 03:22 am UTC
Toronto, On
Tony Messere Offline
Tony Messere  Offline
Toronto, On
Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich, RTM Racing
Trust me....you WILL end up dropping them, or dropping something on them, or??? The $300. Mitutoyo tools, if you buy them, only bring them out for the fussiest of jobs. Buy a chinese vernier and mike for the everyday stuff.

I totally agree and thats exactly what I do. My expensive tools stay locked up all day in my bottom drawer on the tool chest and I use the chinese stuff for most things. The reason I keep it locked is because people tend to have sticky fingers when they see expensive stuff. Another great reason to buy some cheap chinese!

Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Bradley Woodward] #292953
March 12, 2009 03:33 am UTC
March 12, 2009 03:33 am UTC
Pickering
M
Mike Degli Angeli Offline
Insane Member
Mike Degli Angeli  Offline
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Originally Posted by Bradley Woodward
I can tell you from recent experience that there is a glut of used machine tools and measurement equipment on the market from all of these shops going out of business. My work just picked up a full set of Mitutoyo mic's (0-1 plus 5 sizes up, bigest is like 8") for $100 at auction. Hell, for that matter we just bought a brand new, never used CNC lathe for 45% off the list price! Others misfortune can at least be someones gain.

I really need to start going to auctions! I want deals like this. I'm in the market for a high end blast cabinet if any of you guys come across any. i'd also be in for some machinist tools. I also use chinese stuff at home but at work its strictly starrett on the shop floor.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #292970
March 12, 2009 12:55 pm UTC
March 12, 2009 12:55 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
There are auctions going on constantly....and if you go to one, you get on their mailing list, and they send you literature about all future auctions.

There are some GOOD bargains to be had, but you have to know your pricing, read the crowd, and think fast. You have to see everything beforehand, because at the actual auction time there is a huge crowd around whatever is being auctioned....and you have to have a maximum price already in mind for each item. There is no time to think once the auction starts.
I have seen some auctions where people seem to forget pricing is in USD instead of CDN$, and they forget about the "buyers premium" charged at all auctions, and they end up paying MORE than new. If those people are in the crowd, you might as well just go home..

I HAVE picked up some deals at auctions (an older CNC lathe with a Fanuc 3T controller for $1,000., an Agie EDM from the late '60's that worked fine for $500.)

The guys who came to my auction when I sold the shop in Hamilton also got some INCREDIBLE bargains, but I would rather not think about that..

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #292978
March 12, 2009 03:16 pm UTC
March 12, 2009 03:16 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Mike Degli Angeli Offline
Insane Member
Mike Degli Angeli  Offline
Insane Member
M
Pickering
EDM's existed in the 60's??? Was it the first one ever made? grin That should be in a mueseum!

Ziggy, shoot me an msg the next time you plan to go to one. I'm interested in tagging along. Till then its kijiji and craigslist for me.

Last edited by Mike Degli Angeli; March 12, 2009 03:16 pm UTC.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Yay! I love life, I love living. [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #292984
March 12, 2009 04:18 pm UTC
March 12, 2009 04:18 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Will do....but I haven't had a lot of time lately for auctions...maybe time to visit one for a "break". Sometimes I have also made a few bucks buying there and re-selling. The CNC lathe that I bought for $1,000., I had my electronics guy in to go over it all, figure it all out, fix a few things...I paid him a little less than a grand, gave a salesman a grand commission, and sold if for $12,000. smile

I have also gone the other way....bought stuff at online auctions, where you can't really see it, and gotten stiffed. I bought a Mitutoyo dial vernier that was busted, and some CNC tooling that ended up being CAT45 and BT30, both very rare.

Anyone know of anyone needing a couple BT30 boring head holders with 1.5-18 thread? Have I got a deal for them!!

"Whitebird" RIP
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3