T
Tim Hunt Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
There has been some discussion regarding moving the dates of the Sunday Yorkdale meetings due to the dismal turnout as of late, apparently last Sunday only one car showed up.
This summer attendance was down and it was mentioned that it could have been due to the fact that a large majority of the summer dates fell on Holiday weekends and people had other plans.
Other opinions was the club has outgrown the meeting face to face ideal, and is now really just an Internet club.
Anyways here's your chance to have your say, leave em alone, move em, or voice your opinion as to why they are not so well attended, but KEEP THE THREAD POSITIVE, Criticism is OK but temper it with a way to fix it,
Also it has been mentioned by Ziggy that if the meets do fall on the holiday weekend he won't be able to attend, due to the fact that the last few he travelled to he ended up on the road for many hours more than normal, and we all know how Ziggy gets on the highway laugh. This move is not suggested just to accommodate Ziggy's travel plans, but he does provide a great service to the GTA members by delivering parts to the meets, I know I would be a lot of dollars ahead if he delivered to Waterloo.

Moving the date for DSM meetings
single choice
Keep the date as it is (First Sunday of the month)
3%, 1 Votes
Keep it as it is (Sunday), but if the meet falls on a holiday weekend shift it one weekend forward or back
21%, 8 Votes
Let\'s shift the date, looking towards the Last Sunday of the month as an acceptable date for holding them
69%, 27 Votes
What are these meeting things people are talking about/I don\'t ever attend them.
8%, 3 Votes
Total Votes: 39
Voting on this poll ends: November 20, 2007 03:07 pm UTC
Last edited by Tim Hunt; November 06, 2007 03:14 pm UTC.

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Tim Hunt] #246702
November 06, 2007 04:59 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 04:59 pm UTC
Colborne
Adam Grenon Offline
Insane Member
Adam Grenon  Offline
Insane Member
Colborne
I think the board has grown up from parking lot meets. Being handy for Ziggy and poeple who are picking stuff up from him is nice, but there is not much more than that going on. People get there late, go eat food in the food court then go home.

I also think alot of people may have kids, gone away to school, got married etc. as apposed to 5 years ago. Or they party to hard Saturday night and just sleep in Sunday, also people do work more strange shifts these days which could tie up weekends.

Another thought, these cars are old, lots of people have moved on and gave up on them. I haven't had a solid running car in a couple of years now. I've gone to 2 or 3 meets ever.

What "I" would really enjoy rather than a parking lot meet, is a meet at someones house for an afternoon BBQ an a beer or two, park the cars on the lawn etc. Make that a swap meet at the same time. Who would offer this, well I would, but who is going to come to Colborne when mostly everyone is in the GTA? Also who is interested in standing out in the cold anymore?

Perhaps a parking lot with less hustle and bustle would work, near a pub, geared towards an afternoon event 2-4 pm or something like that.

2012 - Lancer Ralliart Octane Blue
1991 - Talon Tsi AWD FP HTA 71
1992 - Talon Tsi AWD on hold
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Adam Grenon] #246705
November 06, 2007 05:23 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 05:23 pm UTC
Brampon, ON
Joe Esmama Offline
Insane Member
Joe Esmama  Offline
Insane Member
Brampon, ON
"IF" we hold the meetings predominantly during last sundays of the month, would that avoid the majority of the long weekends we're trying to avoid in the first place?

As well, (for me anyhow) meeting up on sundays @ 12pm is a bit too early. Like Adam mentioned, some people party hard on sat night, and/or people go to church at around that time or what not so a time change may be needed as well.

But, as much as this place have become more internet based, i'd still like too have a monthly meet where i can actually meet some (if not all) board members in person.

I almost forgot what 2nd and reverse gear feels like.
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Joe Esmama] #246716
November 06, 2007 06:18 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 06:18 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I believe last Sunday would miss the MAJORITY of long weekends, and I would propose that on the occasional month when last Sunday IS a long weekend, that we for that meet only postpone by one week to first Sunday of the following month...

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Joe Esmama] #246717
November 06, 2007 06:19 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 06:19 pm UTC
GTA
Tim Grechin Offline
Tim Grechin  Offline
GTA
Yorkdale meets are stupid. I agree with Adam. I never got into the YD meets because I got over my 'parking lot hang out' in high school.

I also agree, if you guys do plan on monthly meets, don't do it between november and february.

What we should do is have more track days or, as Adam suggested, beers and BBQs at a members house.

Last edited by Tim Grech; November 06, 2007 06:20 pm UTC.

11.254@132.14MPH - Tractionally impaired
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Tim Grechin] #246720
November 06, 2007 06:49 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 06:49 pm UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
Daren Peacock Offline
Insane Member
Daren Peacock  Offline
Insane Member
Newmarket, Ontario
I think moving them to the last Sunday (to avoid long weekends) is a good idea, as I know even if I did come on a regular basis, I always have other plans on long weekends. Seems the only meet I get out to is the June meet (which is about the only "summer" one that doesn't fall on a long weekend). Maybe we should cut down on the amount of meets, to see some better turn out. I don't mind coming out once or twice a summer to see everyones setups, etc. but see no need to show up every month (unless your there to pick up parts). As for meets in the winter, I have/will never bother. I also like what Adam/Tim are suggesting for more track events or even BBQ's.

98 Eclipse GSX DSM82HTA
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Daren Peacock] #246729
November 06, 2007 08:48 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Lets go back a bit in history, the reason the meets were set up at noon had to do with the business and traffic at Yorkdale, if you go back and look the the meet pic's, even from the early 2000's there's no other cars around. Noon was chosen before it got to busy.
If anyone has any ideas that could make the meets better, and i love the idea of doing the BBQ and stuff, I got the pleasure of experiencing this out west, a bunch of the guys for a monthly meet met up in Vancouver at an area chatted/got everyone grouped up, went for a cruise (about 20-30 minutes) to a park area bbq'd up some burgers and whatever. I would like to see something like that occurring but people have expressed the concern of people acting like an ass during the cruise.

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Daren Peacock] #246730
Stratford/London
Mike Kuttschrutter Offline
Insane Member
Mike Kuttschrutter  Offline
Insane Member
Stratford/London
I am semi new to the dsm community. Owned my car 2 years. And Im not going to lie.
I love going out to get togethers or the track or even just chatting with car people.
As for the Toronto meets, I dont think I will ever go to one.

From my place in both stratford and london it is over 2 hour drive. And If you guys like meeting at 12, then I have to be ready and out the door at 10. With sunday being one of my only days to sleep in laugh

When ever I decide to go to a track, from my place in stratford It is just over an hour drive to 2 different tracks. And I find that long enough.

But Aside from my location and liking to sleep in, Im sure there are others further away from the Toronto meet than I am.

It is sort of a shame that people from down in Windsor and up in Thunder Bay may be faces you never see.

It may be a long shot, but I would like to see multiple supported DSM meets in Ontario. Rather than just one Always hosted in Toronto.(even if there is a larger community there)

Stock.
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Mike Kuttschrutter] #246747
November 06, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
November 06, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Belleville, Ontario
I personally would rather someone's place on a weekend or something. A few reasons:

A: Private property. You can pop the hoods, trade parts, even install them right there! You won't have mall security coming up to you and ask you to move on.

B: Cost-effective. Have a few people bring buns, burgers, condiments (sp?) hot dogs etc. and a BBQ. Going to be cheaper than everyone spending $7-15 in the food court buying some high-sodium artery clogging burger.

C: Logistics. You won't have to worry about other cars parking in the same area, traffic, passer-by's bugging you, ricers showing off (real annoying and immature) etc. Nothing like having a meet of nice DSM's and some kid in a Civic does a peel out or rips a fart outta the fart-can to try and show off.

I personally love the meets. Track days are great! But at the same time, nothing like talking car with a bunch of guys over a few beers in someone's back yard with a dozen burgers sizzling on the BBQ.

Adam's got a big-ass place not too far from the GTA. You could fit 50 DSMs in his yard. Few BBQ's and a couple of 12 packs, you could make it an afternoon.

Even so, if we organized a few meets with some variation as to what we do like cruises, back-yard BBQ's, Club DSM Canada charity car wash (I'll wear my bikini), I think we'd have a bigger turn out.

Just my $.02

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #246834
November 07, 2007 03:46 pm UTC
November 07, 2007 03:46 pm UTC
Colborne
Adam Grenon Offline
Insane Member
Adam Grenon  Offline
Insane Member
Colborne
I am all for the backyard bbq'in type thing at my place and as Ryan said I could easily fit 50 cars or more on our property and I have a back deck. It could even be arranged for an afternoon just before a Test N Tune at Shannonvile, which is 35 minutes past my place. (I am real close to the 401).

The trouble is, a date would have to be decided well basically now, and perhaps a few other dates, at other members places at the same time. Which can be hard to do, but I am willing to help with that.

As far as the Yorkdale meets are concerned, if the last Sunday works better than so be it. It will continue to live. We could do all of the above and this.

TO anybody thinking of hosting events at their place next summer, we should all be talking and think of maybe organizing 3 to 4 definite events, that we can plan now so that all have a chance to be well in the know and have plenty of chances to make that day available.

I would also suggest producing some sort of a flyer and making it a Sticky, so that the thread does not get barried as we have lots of people that would come but sometimes don't bother to look through a bunch of threads and therefore don't know what is going on.

Anyways we all get the idea, if anyone is willing to work with me on this up to and over the winter. I would love to be part of something that would be memorable and bring the people out. So if your a dedicated member and want to help or offer your yard next summer give it some thought and let me know through PM.

I am going to seriously think about a date, look at Shannonville's schedule for next season (if and when it is available).

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Adam Grenon] #246842
November 07, 2007 04:25 pm UTC
November 07, 2007 04:25 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
I voted for moving the meets to later in the month. I'm often away or otherwise occupied on long weekends, so I'm pretty unlikely to attend on the summer dates if we keep it as-is.

I would suggest that instead of the last Sunday of the month, we do the 3rd Sunday of the month. The last Sunday of the month can still fall on a long weekend (for example, the August meet in 2008 would fall on the Labour Day long weekend next year). Moving to the 3rd Sunday should solve that problem for the summer meets.

3rd Sunday dates in '08 would be: Jan 20, Feb 17, Mar 16, Apr 20, May 18 (Victoria Day weekend, doh!), June 15, July 20, Aug 17, Sep 21, Oct 19, Nov 16, Dec 21

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Jeff Mitchell] #246853
November 07, 2007 04:54 pm UTC
November 07, 2007 04:54 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
No matter what, you will run into the odd long weekend...that is why I proposed that for those RARE occasions (if we switch to last sunday) we can postpone the meet for one week to first sunday of the following month...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #246999
November 08, 2007 05:04 pm UTC
November 08, 2007 05:04 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline
Serious Member
Grant Redfern  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
how many people usually show up?

what usually goes on? just talking, part trading, lunch, etc.?

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Grant Redfern] #247009
November 08, 2007 05:37 pm UTC
November 08, 2007 05:37 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline OP
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Pretty much, gettng to talk face to face to club members, the odd tool trying to impress bt doing WOT pulls into the lot, laugh at the Honda's driving by revving trying to impress,
Turnout usually 30-40 in the summer but recently as late of last year there has been times when alot more showed up.
If you check the "Events" link on the left side of the page you can see some older reports of the meets.

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Tim Hunt] #247100
November 09, 2007 04:35 am UTC
November 09, 2007 04:35 am UTC
GTA
J
Jaime Loo Offline
Serious Member
Jaime Loo  Offline
Serious Member
J
GTA
Does anyone here tag along with the Mitsubishi meets on Thrusday nights?

Few other options are the usual suspects (for locations) (as yes, i expect some flaming on these suggestions). Kennedy Commons' Tim Hortons is popular for practically all other car clubs in Toronto. The Tim Hortons on 16th Avenue and Woodbine is still another popular car-meet spot, along with police surveillance. These two locations you can go as a car club without being bothered by public complaints, but be prepared to meet other auto enthusiast who may not be mature.

The other location that used to be listed on ca.dsm.org was Milley's on Midland and Steeles. That's still in business even though Tim Horton/Wendy's is right accross as a stiff competition. Milley's has pretty decent food for low prices, beyond coffee/donuts.

As for choosing the date, how about the last Saturday? Everyone has something to do on Saturdays, but my guess is that everyone uses Saturday to do things, and Sunday to rest/church/crash/shutdown or getting ready for the week.

95 TSI AWD
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Jaime Loo] #247113
November 09, 2007 01:20 pm UTC
November 09, 2007 01:20 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
Isaque Nunes Offline
Serious Member
Isaque Nunes  Offline
Serious Member
Mississauga, Ontario
I think we should put up the monthly meetings on the calendar! That way people can see when the meets are happening!
Cheers

08 Mistubishi Lancer Boosted
91 Talon TSI FWD-Car heaven
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Isaque Nunes] #247118
November 09, 2007 02:00 pm UTC
November 09, 2007 02:00 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
Here's my scoop (as one of the 2 guys who invented the Yorkdale meetings)

Yorkdale was choosen, as a simple "middle" ground of the GTA. Noon was choosen because we all eat lunch smile

Now, I'm not saying that a BBQ isn't a good idea, or that moving the date isn't a good idea (I don't really care, I don't really attend anymore...)

BUT, one of the key problems is no one wants to "organize" it. I realize we have one guy offering, and thats GREAT. But now factor in WHO is gonna bring food and BBQ, who is gonna bring drinks? Is it gonna be BYO everything? If not, who's gonna layout the cash in advance, hoping that people will pay you back? Its a lot of organizing that no one seems to want to take time to do. They will gladly come, but won't help set up anything...

I know some people on here are close friends, I have a few here too. BUT inviting 30 ~strangers to your house? Wow, good on ya. I can hardly get anyone here to actually pick up the sh!t they say they wanna buy...

I would propose moving the meetings to whatever day you want, and then if someone wants to have a BBQ (be it a member or a car dealership, Vendor etc) then post it up as a replacement for one meeting. But don't be surprised if everyone says HELL YEAH, oh but I can't help with that...(Been there, done that)

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Mark PPG Scheitzbach] #247127
November 09, 2007 03:57 pm UTC
November 09, 2007 03:57 pm UTC
Colborne
Adam Grenon Offline
Insane Member
Adam Grenon  Offline
Insane Member
Colborne
Mark your absolutely right on. I don't want to replace yorkdale at all. I perhaps wouldn't mind an alternative, as others have mentioned they would like as well.

Personally I wouldn't care if ten people I knew showed up or 10 I knew and 30 I didn't know showed up. Like I said its hard to organize but if it was started on now, it could be done. A solid group of 15-20 people that aren't just looking for a free hamburger could be arranged. If they are willing to drive an hour and a half, they are likely willing to bring some burgs or buns or something.

Anyways, I may start thinking about this very soon and getting it going for sometime in June or something.

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Adam Grenon] #247129
November 09, 2007 04:18 pm UTC
November 09, 2007 04:18 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
If I still had the shop in Hamilton, I would also have been quite happy to "host" get togethers....but here I am too far for most people, and don't have the space. I have a nice big yard, but no parking....

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #247133
November 09, 2007 05:03 pm UTC
November 09, 2007 05:03 pm UTC
Stratford/London
Mike Kuttschrutter Offline
Insane Member
Mike Kuttschrutter  Offline
Insane Member
Stratford/London
As Mark was saying about people not wanting to organize.

I'll throw myself out there and propose to organize something in my home town Stratford. As I have never been to a big dsm meet. and would love to get one together!

We have had old car shows, and I think a big mopar get together with 100 plus cars before.

Down at the river Which is where I propose to meet there is around 50-70 pavement parking spots that could be reserved. Aswell a HUGE grass area(size of 2 soccer fields) that can be utilized.

I will look into details about how to go about this, permits and whatnot. If people seem interested?

Stock.
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Tim Grechin] #247191
November 10, 2007 04:56 pm UTC
November 10, 2007 04:56 pm UTC
Dorchester. Ont
M
Mark Fisher Offline
Mark Fisher  Offline
M
Dorchester. Ont
Originally Posted by Tim Grech
Yorkdale meets are stupid. I agree with Adam. I never got into the YD meets because I got over my 'parking lot hang out' in high school.

I also agree, if you guys do plan on monthly meets, don't do it between november and february.

What we should do is have more track days or, as Adam suggested, beers and BBQs at a members house.

I agree with Tim.
We organize numerous events over the season in conjunction with S.O.DSM. Most people want more than just a place to hang-out. We link all our meets with race days, track days, dyno days, BBQ's, xmas parties or cruises and put them on our web site before the season even begins. This way there is lots to pick from and lots of time to plan for it.

www.forcepower.ca
4G63 Power & performance. Do it right.
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Mark Fisher] #247192
November 10, 2007 05:14 pm UTC
November 10, 2007 05:14 pm UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
I think some people are missing the point of the Yorkdale meets.

They were "designed" years ago as a place that a few of us could meet up. With a set place/time, no "organization" was required. We knew that if we went to Yorkdale at noon on the first Sunday of the month, there would be a few other people there to hang out with for a bit, show off some new mods, and talk over lunch.

It's obviously outgrown it's location.

When this was started, we all sat at one table in the food court.

I think the point I'm trying to make is this:

Organizing events, BBQs, etc is a GREAT idea. However, there is still a need for something "set". (ie: a standard time/place that is a regular occurance). It also needs to be somewhere where everything is PROVIDED. It's impossible to count on someone to bring supplies, etc every meeting. The more variables you throw in, the more it won't pan out.

That's why the Yorkdale meetings became so popular (which is what also seems to be the cause of it's "demise"). they are simple.

Now, back to the original topic: What someone needs to do (not me, because I haven't been to a meeting in years.. I work too many weekends now..) is make a decision. Then, let Andy know, and he can change the info on the meeting page if required.

Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; November 10, 2007 05:24 pm UTC. Reason: I'm dumb, and can't read.

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Mike Kuttschrutter] #248167
November 20, 2007 04:05 pm UTC
November 20, 2007 04:05 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Not sure there will ever be an "official" decision on this, as I don't think anyone really "owns" these meets.

In any case, it looks like most guys agree that last Sunday would be preferable to first Sunday, so I am making my plans accordingly. I am planning to be at Yorkdale this coming Sunday, November 25th, and I should have parts for Sergio Barros and for Aaron Gamgee. If anyone else wants anything brought out, it would be wise to give me as much notice as possible....

Thanks again,
Ziggy

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Ziggy Dietrich] #248187
November 20, 2007 08:30 pm UTC
November 20, 2007 08:30 pm UTC
Ottawa
Ryan Duffy Offline
Ryan Duffy  Offline
Ottawa
I will stop in for a bit. See ya there Ziggy.

From 92 DL to 95 TSI AWD, 95 ESI and now 94 TSI FWD... No, I'll probably never learn.
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Ryan Duffy] #248188
November 20, 2007 09:13 pm UTC
November 20, 2007 09:13 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
Isaque Nunes Offline
Serious Member
Isaque Nunes  Offline
Serious Member
Mississauga, Ontario
Ziggy,
Just an idea for you. Make a new topic with yorkdale meet title so that others can see it and know the meet is happening on the 25th.
Cheers

08 Mistubishi Lancer Boosted
91 Talon TSI FWD-Car heaven
Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Isaque Nunes] #298885
May 09, 2009 09:19 pm UTC
May 09, 2009 09:19 pm UTC
Brampton , Ontario
A
Andre Chabot Offline
Serious Member
Andre Chabot  Offline
Serious Member
A
Brampton , Ontario
My brother worked at Formula 1 kartways in brampton and they have a huge lot and always welcome the attention that some nice rides parked up get. Near the highway 410 and steeles.
I like the idea of the bbq too.. im always interested if there is food

Re: ***Poll*** Moving the dates of the DSM meetings [Re: Andre Chabot] #298888
May 09, 2009 10:08 pm UTC
May 09, 2009 10:08 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I think it might have been better to start a new thread with such an idea, rather than digging up a 2 year old one?

"Whitebird" RIP