May 31, 2003 07:59 am UTC
May 31, 2003 07:59 am UTC
Guelph, Ontario
A
Andrew Reginato Offline OP
Andrew Reginato  Offline OP
A
Guelph, Ontario
I'm not one for oil additives - to many studies have proven they either do nothing at all, or can cause more damage then just sticking to proper oil changes. However, I saw the Lucas oil stablizer on display in a few parts stores, and I must say, it looks quite impressive the way the stablized oil can climb the gears while the conventional oil gets rather thin at the top.

Of course, I can see a number of problems with oil thats willing to rise up easily and stay up. But I'm looking to ways to esure a long healthy turbo life in my DSM, and what better way then with an oil that really wants to coat its bearings and stay on the bearings (but provided it won't bake on them from the high heat). My thoughts are to use a very small amount while pretty much maintaing my regular oil. Has anyone here tried it in their DSM (turbo or not) and what results occured with it in terms of sludge build up (don't want it - I have enough tongue ), lifter noise, and general oiling?

Oh, don't try to sell me on the "I used it and man did it it ever add more horse power" storey - it's oil... I'll correct myself here, it's an "oil stabilizer". Any differance it makes won't be that huge of a night and day differance in my eyes. When I want more power, I'll mod the turbo, alter the cam profile, get a JDM motor, or other things along those lines... laugh

As for engine flushes, I know these products are basicly an acid (usualy a desiel fuel product) indended for breaking down sludge, and removing oil tarnish from the inside of the engine. From experiance with my previous car, I know these products do work very well. But I also know these products break down oil as well, and I'm fearing that this could damage the turbo's bearings. I've also heard of this leading into oil pump failures as most oil pumps will get "used to" the cloged passage ways and when the build up is removed they can no longer supply the correct amount of pressure to the engine internals anymore (I've only heard of this problem, haven't seen it first hand). Anyone tried a product such as STP engine flush on their turbocharged DSM? It would appear that one of the previous owners of my DSM was late for a few oil changes judgeing from the build up inside the engine. I really don't like seeing it, and wouldn't mind removing it as long as I know that it won't harm the engine and esp the turbo - thats why I'd like to hear from some people who have tried it. shuffle

Then again, maybe it's best if I just let it be a by-gone since I change my oil very religously... rotate

Re: Lucas oil stablizer & engine oil flush treatments.... #30738
June 02, 2003 06:53 pm UTC
June 02, 2003 06:53 pm UTC
Calgary, AB, Canada
S
Sean Costall Offline
Serious Member
Sean Costall  Offline
Serious Member
S
Calgary, AB, Canada
Originally posted by Andrew Reginato:
However, I saw the Lucas oil stablizer on display in a few parts stores, and I must say, it looks quite impressive the way the stablized oil can climb the gears while the conventional oil gets rather thin at the top.
Of course it looks impressive. That's why the display was there. Marketing people use cool-looking cheap tricks every chance they get. It's their job.

IMHO all oil additives are crap.

S.
I know everything.
1000q.dsm.org
Re: Lucas oil stablizer & engine oil flush treatments.... #30739
June 03, 2003 05:32 pm UTC
June 03, 2003 05:32 pm UTC
Malaysia
Jeremy Chin Offline
Jeremy Chin  Offline
Malaysia
hehehe...

have you even seen lucas oil treatment?

its takes about 30mins to pour it in. it's goo. I dont think I want that thing running in a hot turbo.

300hp Talon to a 50hp Citroen. Lovely ain't it?
Back to another Mits.
A Mirage Cyborg as a future 4G63T candidate.

"I've had more Mitsu's than you can imagine"