Toronto
P
Peter Harry Cortesis Offline OP
Serious Member
Peter Harry Cortesis  Offline OP
Serious Member
P
Toronto
Looking from an insurance company's stand point, or does it make a difference? Or is it really just a bigger 'name/company'?

And if going to a smaller driving school is suggested, can anyone recommend a reputable one in the downtown Toronto or Hamilton core?

Thanks in advance.

Talonted
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Peter Harry Cortesis] #323725
February 10, 2010 12:03 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:03 am UTC
Toronto
R
Robert Dike Offline
Serious Member
Robert Dike  Offline
Serious Member
R
Toronto
A drivers training course will get you the same discount no matter who the course was taken with.

While an independent will be cheaper, the training will just be the bare minimum to qualify for for accreditation. Young Drivers claims to teach you real emergency maneuvers and that's an invaluable plus.

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Robert Dike] #323727
February 10, 2010 12:15 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:15 am UTC
Richmond hill
Brian Fernandez Offline
Insane Member
Brian Fernandez  Offline
Insane Member
Richmond hill
I went to All start driving school - it was affordable, as well as very great learning experience, and put it to practice every time I drive.

Young drivers defiantly offers the most in car experience, which can be seen as good, or excessive.

Ultimately I think it comes down to what individual teacher you get. My neighbor was a teacher and taught some of my friends, and was high most of the time which some may frown upon.

Any will give you the same savings as said above.

Duramax
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Robert Dike] #323728
February 10, 2010 12:16 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:16 am UTC
Richmond hill
Brian Fernandez Offline
Insane Member
Brian Fernandez  Offline
Insane Member
Richmond hill
I went to All start driving school - it was affordable, as well as very great learning experience, and put it to practice every time I drive.

Young drivers defiantly offers the most in car experience, which can be seen as good, or excessive.

Ultimately I think it comes down to what individual teacher you get. My neighbor was a teacher and taught some of my friends, and was high most of the time which some may frown upon.

Any will give you the same savings as said above.

Duramax
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Brian Fernandez] #323729
February 10, 2010 12:21 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:21 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Belleville, Ontario
I took YD, and without question, it has saved my ass more times than not. There is stuff they teach you that no other driving school will teach you, and you do get a lot of car time.

If you're looking to save money, go with a lesser driving school, for insurance it's all the same.

You get what you pay for though.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #323732
February 10, 2010 12:36 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:36 am UTC
Ottawa
Dustin Phillion Offline
Serious Member
Dustin Phillion  Offline
Serious Member
Ottawa
Took Youn Drivers aswell, great course and as stated, have Saved my bacon numerous times. Plenty of incar time wich IMO is the best way, you didn't learn to ride a bike by reading a book.

Last edited by Dustin Phillion; February 10, 2010 12:36 am UTC. Reason: ma spellin wuz bad

Stop looking at me swan!!
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Dustin Phillion] #323733
February 10, 2010 12:40 am UTC
February 10, 2010 12:40 am UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline
Serious Member
Grant Redfern  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
All offer the same discount.

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Grant Redfern] #323935
February 11, 2010 07:15 am UTC
February 11, 2010 07:15 am UTC
Toronto
P
Peter Harry Cortesis Offline OP
Serious Member
Peter Harry Cortesis  Offline OP
Serious Member
P
Toronto
Thank you for the responses. I will pass this information on.

Talonted
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Peter Harry Cortesis] #324587
February 19, 2010 07:03 am UTC
February 19, 2010 07:03 am UTC
London, Ontario
Mark Modrzynski Offline
Serious Member
Mark Modrzynski  Offline
Serious Member
London, Ontario
I took driver's ed with a private company. My insurance never asked where I took it, only if I had.

On a sort of side note, I also took CASC's Solo 1 training. I found this to be infinitely more beneficial than driver's ed. Driver's ed teaches defensive driving, rules of the road, etc. The Solo 1 training taught car control, braking, cornering, etc.

I've avoided several accidents thanks to the Solo 1 training. No discount on insurance, but learning the nuances of your car is invaluable IMHO.

Write that down.

97 Eclipse GST Spyder
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #324621
February 19, 2010 06:59 pm UTC
February 19, 2010 06:59 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Michael Lee Offline
Insane Member
Michael Lee  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
I took YD, and without question, it has saved my ass more times than not. There is stuff they teach you that no other driving school will teach you, and you do get a lot of car time.

If you're looking to save money, go with a lesser driving school, for insurance it's all the same.

You get what you pay for though.

This is exactly what my friend told me after taking YD.

They show you things that other schools won't because the independent schools can't afford to do 'damage' to their cars.

One such 'thing' was throwing the car into neutral and turning off the engine on the highway, then turning the car back on.

Another was how to stop a car using the e-brake, which I know my driving school never taught me.

Hope that helps.

1997 Eclipse GST/X
Eat in small amounts. Otherwise be prepared to paint toilet bowls~ Mike Eng
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Michael Lee] #324625
February 19, 2010 07:28 pm UTC
February 19, 2010 07:28 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
My impression of independent driving schools is that they are very hit and miss. You might find one with a truly awesome instructor, or you might get someone who has you drive him to the grocery store then drive around the parking lot while he shops (true story!)

I took YD and they did a very good job. My instructor did the turn off the engine on the highway thing, stopping with the e-brake, braking with two wheels on gravel and two on the road, full panic stops, etc. They also teach the proper way to set up mirrors and to set up for a left turn - something almost nobody on the road seems to know! So I would personally recommend YD.

Another thing I highly recommend to people is to take Skid Control School: http://www.SkidControlSchool.com. This one focuses strictly on winter driving and controlling various types of skids. They throw some slippery "goo" down on a big track, you drive towards it at a good speed, and then the instructor slams on the brakes or yanks the e-brake and you have to control it. It's as much fun as it sounds but really does help build confidence with winter driving. I've sent most of my family to it. smile Best part is you can write it off as a tax deduction so it doesn't actually cost much.

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Mark Modrzynski] #324669
February 20, 2010 04:17 pm UTC
February 20, 2010 04:17 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline
Serious Member
Grant Redfern  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
Originally Posted by Mark Modrzynski
I took driver's ed with a private company. My insurance never asked where I took it, only if I had.

On a sort of side note, I also took CASC's Solo 1 training. I found this to be infinitely more beneficial than driver's ed. Driver's ed teaches defensive driving, rules of the road, etc. The Solo 1 training taught car control, braking, cornering, etc.

I've avoided several accidents thanks to the Solo 1 training. No discount on insurance, but learning the nuances of your car is invaluable IMHO.

That sounds awesome. Where do you go for the CASC Solo 1 training?

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Grant Redfern] #324885
February 23, 2010 04:14 pm UTC
February 23, 2010 04:14 pm UTC
London, Ontario
Mark Modrzynski Offline
Serious Member
Mark Modrzynski  Offline
Serious Member
London, Ontario
It was at Mosport.

http://www.casc.on.ca/events.php still has the 2009 dates listed if you scroll down. Last year it was May 9-10.

I'm sure there's more info to be had if you contact them.

Write that down.

97 Eclipse GST Spyder
Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Mark Modrzynski] #324890
February 23, 2010 05:38 pm UTC
February 23, 2010 05:38 pm UTC
Schomberg
T
Tashko Sarakinov Offline
Serious Member
Tashko Sarakinov  Offline
Serious Member
T
Schomberg

In addition to the CASC SoloSprint school, which is at the Mosport DDT track, there is also the CASC Autoslalom school which might be more accessible to people since it's not on a race track. It's held at the Brampton Sports Centre.

The school goes through similar exercises such as skid-pad, threshold braking, over/under-steer, etc.

You can learn more about the CASC events and register for the schools at the CASC Solo Open House on April 11th at CSC Racing, 125A Harry Walker Parkway, Newmarket. Time: 1-4 PM.

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Tashko Sarakinov] #324952
February 24, 2010 03:00 pm UTC
February 24, 2010 03:00 pm UTC
Toronto, ON
Grant Redfern Offline
Serious Member
Grant Redfern  Offline
Serious Member
Toronto, ON
Originally Posted by Tashko Sarakinov

In addition to the CASC SoloSprint school, which is at the Mosport DDT track, there is also the CASC Autoslalom school which might be more accessible to people since it's not on a race track. It's held at the Brampton Sports Centre.

The school goes through similar exercises such as skid-pad, threshold braking, over/under-steer, etc.

You can learn more about the CASC events and register for the schools at the CASC Solo Open House on April 11th at CSC Racing, 125A Harry Walker Parkway, Newmarket. Time: 1-4 PM.

This is exactly what I want to learn. I assume you use your own vehicle as well or do they have test vehicles?

6-MT Stage II B5 Audi S4

Re: Young Drivers ($$$) worth it v.s independent ($) ? [Re: Grant Redfern] #324953
February 24, 2010 03:48 pm UTC
February 24, 2010 03:48 pm UTC
Mississauga, Ontario
J
Jeff Mitchell Offline

Jeff Mitchell  Offline

J
Mississauga, Ontario
Hi Grant,

You use your own car for the CASC Autoslalom school. I did it last year and it was lots of fun!