May 25, 2010 06:04 pm UTC
May 25, 2010 06:04 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Offline OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Offline OP
Insane Member
Windsor
So my car has never had proper boost control until now, and now it has me questioning the performance. Way back when I installed my 3 inch turbo back and replaced the pos plastic leaky bov I was getting crazy boost creep. I did not fully understand the boost control system. and a buddy re routed it for me to run stock boost, i think i was just running a host from waste gate to boost source to try and achieve stock boost.
Now I have my 14b in with Ziggy's manual boost controller. I had some trouble getting my boost to stay at 15 psi, and I honestly think my adjustment knob is backed almost all the way out. It seems as though I'm just running the same setup, like the boost controller is almost not even there, its just part of the path from boost source to wastegate, but barely restricting any of the flow to increase the boost. I m wondering if technically my boost is set more like 7 but then because the wastegate cant keep up its continuing to 15?
So basically what Im wondering is if my wategate isn't keeping up, i m getting the boost i want, but decreasing the responsiveness and eficiency of the turbo? Basically im just getting the boost I want but the wastegate is opening too early but not keeping up so I still get the boost?
When i had the controller knob tighter in, spool up at lower pressure was louder than it is now and so was my BOV. But it wanted to continue on past 20 psi. So i backed the knob out, and Im getting 15psi but everything is alot quieter.
So sorry for such a long post, but I hope all the detail I put in made my boost control situation clear. Should I pull the exhaust housing back off, and port the wastegate, and maybe get a better flowing o2 housing? Will it be spooling up better if I do this? Really seems like that is the problem since my turbo seems alot quieter now than when I had too much boost, even at lower psi.

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: I think I need to port my wastegate? [Re: Mike Lane] #331375
May 25, 2010 11:07 pm UTC
May 25, 2010 11:07 pm UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Most MBCs have a small "bleed" in them. It's necessary to stop pressure from getting "trapped" between the wastegate actuator and MBC. (If this happens, it takes a LONG time for your wastegate to close again between shifts, etc..)

Between this "bleed" bleeding off some pressure, and the MBC itself being a restriction, I would guess that 15psi is probably near the bottom of the range for it.

In short:the MBC/wastegate are probably both fine.

If you have the supporting mods, turn the boost up a bit. laugh

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: I think I need to port my wastegate? [Re: Steve Kinnaird] #331618
May 27, 2010 03:27 pm UTC
May 27, 2010 03:27 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Offline OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Offline OP
Insane Member
Windsor
Its just weird because it definately spools up quieter and blows off quieter since I turned the boost down. But what your saying makes sense too

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: I think I need to port my wastegate? [Re: Mike Lane] #331623
May 27, 2010 04:12 pm UTC
May 27, 2010 04:12 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Loc: Loc:
This is how it works - the higher boost setting is felt even in spool-up, since the wastegate is less open and the turbine gets more action.
So.. turn the boost up!! demon

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117