February 14, 2013 09:30 pm UTC
February 14, 2013 09:30 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Stephen Richardson Offline
Insane Member
Stephen Richardson  Offline
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Probably different being in sales. I get paid full days and car to drive. Where do you go Montreal(boucherville) I should say.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394524
February 14, 2013 09:48 pm UTC
February 14, 2013 09:48 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
lol nono..Acura hosts training here in Ottawa. Typically out of our convention center where we also participate in the "new" annual Ottawa-Gatineau Auto Show. No NSX again this year but the RLX will be there.

Have you seen our new district sales manager?

ps. wtf is fairview doing selling $2000-$4000 trade-ins? gm's with 200kms on them? They don't belong on your website wink

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394526
February 14, 2013 09:54 pm UTC
February 14, 2013 09:54 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Oh cool! We have to travel to Honda Canada in Markam. I really Have know idea what sales does up there I am just glad we never see those in the shop.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Salomon Ponte] #394532
February 14, 2013 10:24 pm UTC
February 14, 2013 10:24 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Mike Degli Angeli Offline
Insane Member
Mike Degli Angeli  Offline
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
Believe me, the difference an R-Comp makes in performance on a track (that is, if you both know how to and are willing to push a car to its very limits) is significant to say the least. R-Comps make more of a difference than any other single mod, especially for the price, especially if you throw them on a set of lightweight rims.

It's definitely worth the 'hassle' of carrying around the rims if you're going to the track. I usually lug enough tools with me to disassemble/rebuild the entire car on the spot anyways, so what's a few tires? Besides, if you track on your street tires they WILL get chewed up - significantly, especially if they are a higher treadwear (i.e. lower temp, lower performance) tire.

Do you track the talon? What events/lapping days do yo typically attend?

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #394541
February 15, 2013 12:07 am UTC
February 15, 2013 12:07 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
Road Force is pretty neat eh Mike. Makes a huge difference on lower Quality tires.

Yes it is. But to get 100% true round is still impossible if you ask me. I thought they called this a "roll-out" test. But Road Force is a combination of aspects that aid harmonic balancing.
Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
I just got a 101 on this today from a tech at my work and pretty neat stuff.

Mr. Ponte - How do you fit ALL of your tools and a spare set of wheels in your car?

Multi-Tool doesn't count wink

He definitely does not, he could barely fit my fenders in his car, let alone 4 extra tires tongue

Thought so! rotflmao

I can easily fit a floor jack, jack stands, full ratchet set, enough fluid to for a complete swap, a large box of hand tools and for wheels/tires in my Talon. Don't know what you guys are smoking. And yes, I've done it all before. In fact, minus the tires, it's what normally occupies my Talon on a daily basis with everything easily fitting in the trunk besides the floor jack itself which resides in my passenger footwell should I feel it necessary to bring it along.

Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli
Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
Believe me, the difference an R-Comp makes in performance on a track (that is, if you both know how to and are willing to push a car to its very limits) is significant to say the least. R-Comps make more of a difference than any other single mod, especially for the price, especially if you throw them on a set of lightweight rims.

It's definitely worth the 'hassle' of carrying around the rims if you're going to the track. I usually lug enough tools with me to disassemble/rebuild the entire car on the spot anyways, so what's a few tires? Besides, if you track on your street tires they WILL get chewed up - significantly, especially if they are a higher treadwear (i.e. lower temp, lower performance) tire.

Do you track the talon? What events/lapping days do yo typically attend?

The Talon has only been to the drag strip or auto-x'ed as I have to figure out adequate cooling before I'll touch a lapping day, not to mention I need to invest in some high end rotors and pads, if not a better braking set up all around. I'm hoping to get 'er out for a few lapping sessions this summer.

I mainly track my Mazda and I typically go with SRTA (Sigma Racing Time Attack). By far the best group in Ontario - incredibly organized, VERY safety oriented, in car lap-timers, leaderboards, refreshments/food, prizes, etc. I've also done some lapping days that S-Ville or other groups put on, but predominantly SRTA as it is the best bang for your buck.

Once I get my Talon track-worthy I'd like to make a trip to Calabogie, Tremblant, etc. for some real fun. Calabogie even does night racing laugh

'92 Talon TSi AWD - 5 Speed/E16G/12.385s @ 115.13mph
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394560
February 15, 2013 03:12 am UTC
February 15, 2013 03:12 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Online happy
Bryan Lawrence  Online Happy
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
I was just messing I know you had a ton of other stuff from school in your car at that time.

That SRTA stuff looks cool!

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394568
February 15, 2013 04:21 am UTC
February 15, 2013 04:21 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
SRTA it is. Solomon, Ive been dying to hang out with you at a track since meeting you. Hopefully this summer is the union of a bunch of us who im sure will get along great and get some decent lapping days in.

The only thing left for me is to grow some balls for the full potential of my brakes and suspension. BRAKE LATE!! BRAKE LATE!! laugh

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394575
February 15, 2013 05:19 am UTC
February 15, 2013 05:19 am UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
What kind of Mazda?

I almost exclusively go out with touge or lately it has been invite only events that people hold. i'll have to check out SRTA this season.

i'd love to see a DSM out at a track day!! Give the Mini a run for its money.

And i'll be spending this season trying to max out my AP racing 4pots. Really need to grow some balls to brake to these potential.

No mods for the mini this year except maybe some sway bar end links for the rear. The money will be spend building the 4g63

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394576
February 15, 2013 05:22 am UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
oh and to stay on topic, I'm cheap and don't even balance any of my wheels...lol

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394577
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
No mods? Buddy! The two days spent installing your Aqua mist kit is considered in my books a worth while mod to brag about. Im itching for a ride when its all hooked up finally.

Never thought Id say a mini can give a DSM a run for its money.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Rob Cauduro] #394578
February 15, 2013 05:28 am UTC
February 15, 2013 05:28 am UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Originally Posted by Rob Cauduro
No mods? Buddy! The two days spent installing your Aqua mist kit is considered in my books a worth while mod to brag about. Im itching for a ride when its all hooked up finally.

Never thought Id say a mini can give a DSM a run for its money.

Aquamist was purchased last May so it doesn't count. tongue

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394589
February 15, 2013 05:53 am UTC
February 15, 2013 05:53 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
Amazes me that you two are probably standing next to each other on your phones posting here. tongue

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394591
February 15, 2013 05:54 am UTC
February 15, 2013 05:54 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
Pretty close, We both chat on iMessage after we close shop wink

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394593
February 15, 2013 06:10 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:10 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
SRTA it is. Solomon, Ive been dying to hang out with you at a track since meeting you. Hopefully this summer is the union of a bunch of us who im sure will get along great and get some decent lapping days in.

The only thing left for me is to grow some balls for the full potential of my brakes and suspension. BRAKE LATE!! BRAKE LATE!! laugh

Sounds like a plan. If the Talon isn't up to it, I'll just toss around the Mazda. May not have a lot of power but she sure handles like a champ for what she is.

Driving at the limit in a controlled manner definitely takes some practice, but there's nothing like it once you get to that point. I've spun out at 160+ km/h before with cars behind me...just gotta get back at it figure out what you did wrong so you (hopefully) never do it again.

What kind of Mazda?

I almost exclusively go out with touge or lately it has been invite only events that people hold. i'll have to check out SRTA this season.

i'd love to see a DSM out at a track day!! Give the Mini a run for its money.

And i'll be spending this season trying to max out my AP racing 4pots. Really need to grow some balls to brake to these potential.

No mods for the mini this year except maybe some sway bar end links for the rear. The money will be spend building the 4g63

Mazda 3 Sport. But, on the more technical tracks (like Mosport DDT) I can keep up in a pretty much stock Mazda 3 (just better rotors/pads and SS lines) on R-comps to Speed 3's and more. In fact, I originally started tracking when the car was heavily modded and even though it was noticeably slower without the mods, I still demolished my old time(s).

'Driver mods' really do make all the difference. But R-Comps will net even a pretty beginner driver a few seconds on a technical track if they're willing to push it a bit.

I've heard mixed reviews about Touge, but SRTA is hands-down the place to be. The pricing is great, they have a 50% cash back if it rains (assuming you bought early enough in advance) and winner for each group gets their money back. Then there's all sorts of other prizes, food/drinks/etc. and the biggest draw, if not everything else, in car laptimers for everyone for the whole day laugh

For the record, those who have never run R-Comps before, be careful. Make sure you take a lap or to warm them up...hard braking, etc. Secondly, street tires (Even the high performance ones) will 'speak' to you i.e. they'll squeal, etc. on the limit of grip. R-Comps either grip or they don't...they don't talk back, they fight back i.e. if you throw too much at them you won't know until it's too late and your spinning around.

Last edited by Salomon Ponte; February 15, 2013 06:14 am UTC.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394596
February 15, 2013 06:21 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:21 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
You've almost convinced me to buy some r's for my enkei gtc01's.

Do these count?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They're only $68 more than the S-Drives (300trdwr).

Or are you talking about these?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...fromCompare1=yes&vehicleSearch=false

Last edited by Mike Eng; February 15, 2013 06:23 am UTC.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394598
February 15, 2013 06:25 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:25 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
You've almost convinced me to buy some r's for enkei gtc01's.

Do these count?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They're only $68 more than the S-Drives (300trdwr).

No, but they're not far off. Honestly, the RS-3s are more than adequate, because they are still a street tire they are winning all the events. Like I said earlier in this thread, Hankook makes the stickiest compound - they wear out quicker, but if you want a tire that holds, ain't no better bang for your buck.

When I purchase a set of rims for the Talon I'll be getting a set of RS-3s for DD use and then keeping R-Comps for track use since I drive HARD and I don't want to wear out my street tires.

But like I said, the RS-3s will be an awesome experience and you won't have to worry about 'chunking'/etc. like you do with some street tires when they get hot because these are made for it. And, these are a good stepping stone to R-Comps because they will give you feedback at the limit. More than an R-Comp but still less than any regular street tire.

These are R-Comps and are what I us...ep them for the track and the dry days.

That's the other bonus about a tire like the RS-3/Direzza/etc...they will still perform on a wet day like a champ. My r-comps would have me skating across the track if it's raining hard. They do make rain tires in r-comp equivalents, but I can barely afford the 1 set of rims/tires, let alone a second. And, my Talon ain't that damn big!

Last edited by Salomon Ponte; February 15, 2013 06:27 am UTC.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394601
February 15, 2013 06:29 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:29 am UTC
Toronto
Rob Cauduro Offline
Rob Cauduro  Offline
Toronto
Have you any experience with the star specs Solomon? I showed you my set when you were at the shop. Im stoked to try them out. Comments, suggestions?

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Rob Cauduro] #394603
February 15, 2013 06:38 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:38 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Have you any experience with the star specs Solomon? I showed you my set when you were at the shop. Im stoked to try them out. Comments, suggestions?

Not on a track, no. Threw my buddy's Ford Fiesta around a parking lot with them once but that's hardly much to go by.

They are a sticky tire. In the dry the RS-3 will beat it any day of the week, but I hear the Direzza is a better wet performer and also better treadlife. An overall tried and tested tire with consistent performance and a large following. Our very own Ghiz Tha Wiz loves his!

The DZII is released in Japan and available for pre-order here in NA, so I'm curious to see not only what's new and improved vs the DZI (what you have), but also how it compares to the RS-3, etc.

Last edited by Salomon Ponte; February 15, 2013 06:38 am UTC.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394604
February 15, 2013 06:49 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:49 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
The star specs are discontinued. Z2 is the new hotness for Funlop.

Hmmmmm.....what's an extra $68 to try out 140's vs. 300's. If I do this, I will have to keep my 18's as a daily and forget selling them..or, find another set of 17's and keep the costs down by buying 17" tires vs. 18's. I'm just really disappointed with how heavy the EKM3's are. 24.6 lbs vs. 17.6 lbs goes a long way. It's almost 30 lbs off the power train.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394605
February 15, 2013 06:54 am UTC
February 15, 2013 06:54 am UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
The star specs are discontinued. Z2 is the new hotness for Funlop.

Hmmmmm.....what's an extra $68 to try out 140's vs. 300's. If I do this, I will have to keep my 18's as a daily and forget selling them..or, find another set of 17's and keep the costs down by buying 17" tires vs. 18's. I'm just really disappointed with how heavy the EKM3's are. 24.6 lbs vs. 17.6 lbs goes a long way. It's almost 30 lbs off the power train.

If you can afford to keep a separate set of rims/tires for the track, it's well worth it, especially since you DD the car and do heavy mileage.

The beauty of something like the RS-3 is that it will last you for ages if you're strictly using it for the occasional track days. What makes it even nicer is you could always throw them on for some spirited weekend crusing, since they are a street tire.

That 30lbs is HUGE because it's unsprung mass. Unsprung mass is THE DEVIL.

Last edited by Salomon Ponte; February 15, 2013 06:55 am UTC.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394610
February 15, 2013 01:20 pm UTC
February 15, 2013 01:20 pm UTC
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jason Weir Offline
Serious Member
Jason Weir  Offline
Serious Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I believe that unsprung mass they say 1 lb is equal to 10 lbs sprung weight.
My 17 inch rims are 16 lbs I figure thats a weight savings of almost 10 per rim over stockers and they were only 16inch. That is a huge help. On my old VW with its 11 pounder rims it would light the tires up in 3rd where with the 17 inch tires it struggled to spin 2nd

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394616
February 15, 2013 02:15 pm UTC
February 15, 2013 02:15 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Guys, don't get caught up in what you need. Show up with a half decent tire that wont overheat and get greasy and you'll have plenty of grip to go out there and learn.

Everyone here needs to stay away from R-comps at this point till your driving level requires it.

I have a set of advan neovas that have more grip than my Rs-3s but i still prefer the RS-3 as the feedback they give to drive to the limit is great for driving at the edge of grip.

FACT: i have a set of KW V3 adjustable coilovers on my Mini and never adjusted a single knob since i installed and leveled the car.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #394621
February 15, 2013 03:01 pm UTC
February 15, 2013 03:01 pm UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Guys, don't get caught up in what you need. Show up with a half decent tire that wont overheat and get greasy and you'll have plenty of grip to go out there and learn.

Everyone here needs to stay away from R-comps at this point till your driving level requires it.

I have a set of advan neovas that have more grip than my Rs-3s but i still prefer the RS-3 as the feedback they give to drive to the limit is great for driving at the edge of grip.

FACT: i have a set of KW V3 adjustable coilovers on my Mini and never adjusted a single knob since i installed and leveled the car.

Mike makes a good point.

I started tracking on Nankang NS-2's. And then jumped up to a set of R-Comps that I got a wicked deal on. My Nankangs scrubbed hard and got pretty chewed up but as mentioned, if you're running a tire like the Neova/RS-3/Direzza/NT01/etc. you'll be thankful for it. I should reiterate, R-Comps do not give feedback...they grip or they don't - you need to know how to drive to make R-Comps work for you.

As for everything else, don't blame lap times on the car. Go out there, and drive your car until you've not only reached the max potential of its current settings but have also developed enough as a driver to be aware of everything and able to properly translate a lapping day into knowing what kind of adjustments need to be made. This comment is more aimed at suspension/handling/dynamic adjustments but just in general. Experiment more with stuff like early/late/trail braking, heel-toe, throttle control, line of attack, etc. THESE will make you a better driver. Don't be afraid to spin your car out or lose control. If you drive with fear, you will never drive well.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394623
February 15, 2013 03:28 pm UTC
February 15, 2013 03:28 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
Also notice in talking about getting your car ready for the road course there is no talk of what size turbo do I need, my car needs more power, etc. tires are the number one thing!

Its all about having a car that is setup properly with what you got and making it all work together RELIABLY.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #394625
February 15, 2013 03:33 pm UTC
February 15, 2013 03:33 pm UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Also notice in talking about getting your car ready for the road course there is no talk of what size turbo do I need, my car needs more power, etc. tires are the number one thing!

Its all about having a car that is setup properly with what you got and making it all work together RELIABLY.

On that note, I feel it would be worthwhile to prepare a 'track prep' sticky in the tracking forum.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #394888
February 17, 2013 10:07 pm UTC
February 17, 2013 10:07 pm UTC
Pickering
M
Insane Member
Insane Member
M
Pickering
The other thing about tires is that the smaller the rim size you can get away with the lower priced tires will be. 18" track worthy tires are incredibly expensive compared to a 17". !7" is pretty much the norm these days and most DSMs should be on 17" at the largest for the track if not 16" if they haven't upgraded there brakes yet.

Never fear a challenge,
Amateurs built the Ark,
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Degli Angeli] #395057
February 19, 2013 01:56 pm UTC
February 19, 2013 01:56 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
most DSMs should be on 17" at the largest for the track if not 16" if they haven't upgraded there brakes yet.

Agreed, other than looks I too don't believe there is any benefit from running anything bigger than 17" on a DSM.

1G DSM: 1000+ AWHP, 9.2@162.83 MPH
Evo X: 746 AWHP, XR9569S pump gas
www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Reza Mirza] #395077
February 19, 2013 06:19 pm UTC
February 19, 2013 06:19 pm UTC
Ontario, Canada
S
Salomon Ponte Offline
Insane Member
Salomon Ponte  Offline
Insane Member
S
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
most DSMs should be on 17" at the largest for the track if not 16" if they haven't upgraded there brakes yet.

Agreed, other than looks I too don't believe there is any benefit from running anything bigger than 17" on a DSM.

Or almost anything. The width makes a hellofa lot more difference than the diameter.

Evo Brembos w. 2-piece rotors under a 17*8+ setup is more than anyone in a DSM will likely ever need. 17*10 if you're going full-out, but most people will never need that much meat, nor want to put in the effort/money to make that much meat fit safely and reliably.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395109
February 19, 2013 11:21 pm UTC
February 19, 2013 11:21 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
Anyone running 225/50/17's versus the 225/45/17's?

I think the higher sidewall "looks" better than the 45's.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395112
February 20, 2013 12:53 am UTC
February 20, 2013 12:53 am UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
I would keep the stock circumference. The bigger wheels will ride like crap and make the car slower.

1G DSM: 1000+ AWHP, 9.2@162.83 MPH
Evo X: 746 AWHP, XR9569S pump gas
www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395115
February 20, 2013 01:25 am UTC
February 20, 2013 01:25 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
Thanks Reza! tu

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395249
February 21, 2013 03:47 am UTC
February 21, 2013 03:47 am UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
If you have 45 minutes to kill and want to learn how a tire is made, check out this vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUaou5A9jyk

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395658
February 24, 2013 01:00 am UTC
February 24, 2013 01:00 am UTC
Mississauga, ON
Ju Chen Offline
Serious Member
Ju Chen  Offline
Serious Member
Mississauga, ON
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

'02 BMW ///M3
'95 TSi AWD - Sold
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395840
February 26, 2013 08:28 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 08:28 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
A buddy of mine at work swears by these, they have a 300 tread ware and he's used them for 3 track days, and 20,000kms, they're at least 40-50% left. Warrantied until 50,000kms.

I just find they're such a boring tread block pattern they will suck horribly in the rain. For me, I do a lot of highway, and am still partial to hankook evo v12's or the yoko s-drives.

BUT, hankook's are stickier so I may go back to those.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395855
February 26, 2013 11:17 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:17 pm UTC
kingston ontario
W
Wade Harrison 2 Offline
Wade Harrison 2  Offline
W
kingston ontario
I dunno, I had S-drives on my PT and they only lasted one season of semi-aggressive driving. Sure they were comfy and decent in the rain, but a track tire they're not.

4g63 Colt fpgreenhta
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395857
February 26, 2013 11:25 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:25 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
Which is why I'm thinking of going back to Hankook.

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395860
February 26, 2013 11:31 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:31 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Yoko's are POO!!!!!!

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395861
February 26, 2013 11:36 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:36 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
Hey, totally unrelated, but I checked the data sticker on my hitch, says 5,000 lbs max load. What do you think? tongue

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395863
February 26, 2013 11:46 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:46 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Insane Member
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
I think the hitch is rated 5000lbs. If your mdx can pull that much or not is the question.

Re: Let's talk tires for a moment :) [Re: Mike Eng] #395864
February 26, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
February 26, 2013 11:49 pm UTC
Ottawa, ON
Mike Eng Offline OP
Mike Eng  Offline OP
Ottawa, ON
I honestly think it can, but for a long trip..probably not.

I've pulled a CSX out of a snow bank with a tow strap, and it was STUPID easy without any fuss from the MDX.

I know it's not much of a comparison to hauling a trailer and my eclipse but frack me, I don't want rent a truck AND trailer for the S/O. Nor do I want to drive the DSM down there either.

Grrrrr!! bitch

'99 GSX GT35R
'03 CBR 600RR
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4