July 14, 2013 01:34 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 01:34 pm UTC
Belleville Ontario
Jay Stacey Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Jay Stacey  Offline
Belleville Ontario
I always look at the Evo X as Mitsubishis retro novalty toy for rich people. Like the Camaro... and the Challenger. They neat but nowheres near the coolness of their predicessors. If I was gonna spend a ton od cash on a challenger witha hemi.. it would be a real hemi. And if I was spending 40000+ on an evo.. it better have a 4g63. If I was biying a reliable daily driver... it wouldnt be somehing for 40000 that was saposed to be fast.... but isnt fast compared to my other car.. then its just wasting driveway space. I need something with another purpose.. like a truck.

But thats my opinion.

11.45@125,
stock bottom end 6bolt 2g head.
272 hks cams.
Holset hx35
Backyard biult!!
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407555
July 14, 2013 03:25 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 03:25 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
Man I think the interior in my Ralliart is 100x's better than a handful of brand new 2013 cars out there including a lame Hyundai Genesis which looks like a mom and pops interior to me. Choosing a car based on interior is simply gay, but hey if thats all your looking for in a car then thats just you smile I love the Recaro interior of the Exo X's and Ralliart and the 4b11T motor is simply amazing. This motor can handle over 700WHP in stock form without even changing the headgasket unlike the 4g63 so I'm not sure if people are hating on the interior are are simply clueless, lol. It's true the ones complaing are the ones who don't own the car. I'd take it 1000 x's over a retarded 1g or 2g DSM interior anyday. Not to mention other cars handle like complete sh!t compared to an AWD with 3 LSD's, but of course you wouldn't know that unless you drove one. If your just comparing two cars by reviewing internet pictures and reviews then tu to you.

Oh and I do have a 710 Rockford Fosgate system, with Bluetooth and USB port. I haven't even used the USB port once in the 1 year that I have owned it lol

1G DSM: 1000+ AWHP, 9.2@162.83 MPH
Evo X: 746 AWHP, XR9569S pump gas
www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407556
July 14, 2013 04:02 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 04:02 pm UTC
Belleville Ontario
Jay Stacey Offline
Jay Stacey  Offline
Belleville Ontario
I be honest ... I think they look ugly.. Id take a newer subie for looks. But for power.. id rather have something I can biuld.. not gonna cost me a fortune to fix.... and thats not gonna cost me 40000 bucks.... just to start out with.

Like the Evo in the original post. Just wish they made a 2 door like Subaroo!

11.45@125,
272 hks cams.
Holset hx35
Backyard biult!!
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407558
July 14, 2013 04:18 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 04:18 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
I looked at the WRX and STI before I bought my Ralliart. What an ugly and worthless car both are with a primitive AWD system (no where close to what Mitsubishi puts in a car) and pain in the butt motors to work on on which every bolt seizes. You'd think for a new car they would have 3 lsd's like Mitsubishi, but Subaru is too cheap to put that performance potential in a car. I passed it up swiftly and quickly smile Evo X and Ralliart hands down better AWD system and better motor.

I guess everyone looks for something different in a car. Some people like the body and seats. I pay for performance and potential wink

www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407559
July 14, 2013 04:33 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 04:33 pm UTC
Belleville Ontario
Jay Stacey Offline
Jay Stacey  Offline
Belleville Ontario
See thats where I dont really fit in.. I buy my sports cars as projects.. I love working on them and biulding them way more the the drive. Mind you I love driving and I can only imagin the X being a fun car to drive. But the 2 thatI rode in sofar dont have that racecar feel that the primitive talon has. Or an 89 skyline. or supra. Maybe its all the technoligy... maybe its fear of scratching a $40000 car.

11.45@125,
272 hks cams.
Holset hx35
Backyard biult!!
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407560
July 14, 2013 04:56 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 04:56 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
No offence but I've been driving DSM's for over a decade and none have felt like my Ralliart. You call a primitive DSM with one lsd in the back a race car feel ? Heck most 2g's had open diff's all around shuffle and you call that a race car feel ? I have a cusco 70/30 center diff in my 650 WHP 1g DSM with a completely built race trans and it still does not feel anywhere close to the way my Ralliart handles. Loud, fast, obnoxious, bumpy and handles well, of course yes(if that is your definition of race car). Better than an Evo X or Ralliart, sorry NO. You definately don't have the experience with both cars if you still think a DSM is better than an EVO X, tongue

That's why I keep both my DSM and Ralliart. Ralliart is the daily driver and the DSM is the street beast. I'd still take an EVO X or Ralliart over any brand new 0 km DSM you can present to me anyday. I am not even sure how you compare the two cars. Put 400WHP in a DSM or EVO on a circuit and the EVO will kill the DSM all day long smile Stock for stock comparison and a DSM will probably go flying off the track on the first turn from all the understeer. No wonder these cars never really stood out like the EVO in WRC smile

www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407561
July 14, 2013 05:19 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 05:19 pm UTC
GTA
Mike Petro Offline
Insane Member
Mike Petro  Offline
Insane Member
GTA
But what I don't get is why Mitsubishi toned down the tune of the EvoX from the factory?

First mod everyone told me to do was get a tune so I could feel the performance the car SHOULD have been released with. Just.. that runs you about $1000+ lol! $500 for the COBB access port and $500+ for the tune.

'15 VW GTI Autobahn
'10 Mitsubishi EVO GSR - SOLD
'97 Eclipse Spyder - RIP. Oct 1/11
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407562
July 14, 2013 05:22 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 05:22 pm UTC
Belleville Ontario
Jay Stacey Offline
Jay Stacey  Offline
Belleville Ontario
I dont... Im just saying the older cars have that feeling.. the newer cars dont.. not the feeling im after. Not saying the X isnt a better handling car.. But I can put 3lsds in my talon more hp. And make it go alot faster .. before I even get close to the pricetag of an X. And ok.. the sporty handling I guess was not a good example.. Its the shear power and lack of techy handling that makes oldsport cars more fun to me. Sorta the corvette theory... The more scarry... the more fun! im not remotly interested in biulding a reliable daily driver. I have a truck for that. I cant afford to have a stupid fast car I can beat on and race at the track... a truck.. and a average daily driver that cost that much not to race. If I was rich and could afford a garage full of cars.. then ok. But I dont think an Evo X would ever end up in my collection. Maybe a Evo 8 like the original post...But thats just me.

11.45@125,
272 hks cams.
Holset hx35
Backyard biult!!
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Mike Petro] #407563
July 14, 2013 05:25 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 05:25 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
$500 for cobb access port and $500 for a free tune that floating around on the internet. Man you really need to do a little more research.

You just need a cable that is around $100 and the software and tune is free on the internet. If you don't know how to tune, then I can see why you need to pay money for a tune and cobb access port. Every car is tuned conservative from the factory. Our DSM's came with like 9.5 AFR's on the factory tune with little 14b's running 12 psi, you call that aggressive ? I could squeeze 50HP out of a stock DSM with no issues too.

IMO it is very impressive that I can get another 50WHP and 60 ft lbs of torque on my Ralliart from just a free tune floating on the internet, and changing absolutly nothing else. Brilliant Mitsu techs at it again, making it soo much easier for tuners to simply pull out more power from a tune.

So yea, why was the evo X so bad again ?
If it's price we are comaring then sure, buy a DSM if you can't afford a $40k new car smile . It's similar to me saying I'd take my 1g DSM over a brand new ZR1 corvette because my DSM is still faster. Fast indeed it is, but I'd still take the ZR1 corvette anyday wink

www.dynotuneracing.com

Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407564
July 14, 2013 05:36 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 05:36 pm UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Ryan Laliberte Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Ryan Laliberte  Offline

No-Lift-To-Shift.... Stock. :)
Belleville, Ontario
We tune Subarus and Mitsubishi at our shop all the time with our Tratrix Cable, RomRaider and OpenSource V2. The theory is the same as ECMLink, but there's so much more you can change.

I've looked at factory maps from the new EVOX, and there's lots of room to grow. Boost response time, AFRs and Timing can make the car a lot more spirited to drive. How do you think the ECU in the EVO/STI changes its maps based on the drive style selection (Sport/Sport # etc).

Jay, I drive a WRX all the time and it handles better stock than my DSM ever has. You'd have to take it around the track to notice the difference.

I'll be jumping ship from the DSM Platform here in a few months and into the Evo market. An Evo 8 with ECMLink... Oh pick me. smile I want something fun and quick to drive in town as well as something that can turn hard in the corners.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Ryan Laliberte] #407567
July 14, 2013 06:21 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 06:21 pm UTC
Your girlfriend's closet
L
Lucian Marta Offline
Insane Member
Lucian Marta  Offline
Insane Member
L
Your girlfriend's closet
Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
An Evo 8 with ECMLink... Oh pick me. smile I want something fun and quick to drive in town as well as something that can turn hard in the corners.

Looks like we think alike.

1993 TSi AWD
2008 Evo GSR
2011 Ralliart
2012 Ralliart
2011 RVR GT
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407572
July 14, 2013 07:10 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 07:10 pm UTC
Brampton, Ontario
Guillaume Berton Offline OP
Insane Member
Guillaume Berton  Offline OP
Insane Member
Brampton, Ontario
I think I get what Jay is saying though, might not be the race feel at all, but it's more of a suited car. Kind of like a suit that is fitted custom to you and one you just buy off the rack. The X just doesn't have that personal feel, even modded. My buddy has a New GSR he got a couple weeks back. I just don't feel that personal touch (for that matter, I'd rather sit in an old mini than the new "american" rendition of it).

DSM just have that soft spot that just works. Not saying they are the best handling/power or whatever (since any car can be modded with money) but it's just one of those cars I doubt any new car will ever come close to in the sense of it's uniqueness.

I'd grab that Evo 8 I posted any day of the week if I had the cash..would that mean I'd sell my DSMs or that it would replace them full-out? Heck no! Personally, I've always toyed with the idea that if I ever got kids I'd get an Evo because it has room for kids and it's fun. It's more practical, less crazy...I like crazy tongue

Also Ryan, seeing as you tune with ecuflash, I may see you when the 2g is back on the road for a true tune (or 1g when I do the 1g to 2g ecu conversion). Mine is good but I doubt it would be as good as some of the maps you've been working with.

"Looked at it, declared war and went to find my throwing wrenches."
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407574
July 14, 2013 08:12 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 08:12 pm UTC
Belleville Ontario
Jay Stacey Offline
Jay Stacey  Offline
Belleville Ontario
I could afford to have an evo... But Id have to choose between an EvoX or an Suv...It would definatly be the Suv all the way. No compitition.. I need a truck no matter what I buy. Anyone who owns a house with a big yard needs a truck. Eo thats why I biult a DSM. Cause I can make it go really scary fast for not a ton of money. If I was gonna spend a tone of money on a new car.. it would be an WRX. cause I think they look better and I like the rear bias awd. But Ive heard how much it cost to replace the trannies in those... aswell as the EVO x trannies.. and Id rather biuld something cheaper.. that wont break m bank tring to fix it.

Plus there are sooo many EVO Xs out there.. I like having a car that looks like it got attitude. That gets looked at when criusin around.

11.45@125,
272 hks cams.
Holset hx35
Backyard biult!!
Re: Evo 8 GSR in great condition [Re: Guillaume Berton] #407576
July 14, 2013 09:28 pm UTC
July 14, 2013 09:28 pm UTC
Toronto
Wojciech Figurniak Offline
Wojciech Figurniak  Offline
Toronto
I wouldn't say there are soo many evo x's out there. I have only seen 3 other ones on the road in last year and 2 sti's alone today.

I either get a dirty look of jealousy and fear or a thumbs up from subaru owners - both are welcome tongue

The 5 speed in the Evo X is bullet proof! Just change the clutch and you can hold big power all day long. SST needs a cooling kit and clutch packs changed if you want to go above 450hp.

To be honest I've been looking for a 1g to wrench on and almost bought one for $700 but it was fwd and auto. So hard to find a 1g 5spd awd that is not a huge pile of sh!t at this point and that is the real issue.

As far as refinement and high performance tech, mitsu clearly has the evo as it's flagship, take one for a spin you will see why.

2012 EVO X GSR with handling pack - stock
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3