November 18, 2004 04:37 pm UTC
November 18, 2004 04:37 pm UTC
Ottawa
D
denny medeiros Offline OP
denny medeiros  Offline OP
D
Ottawa
Now that the U.S Dollars/canadian Money is 0.84$ Im thinking of heading over closest place to us Ottawa to the U.S exemple:Watertown...Syracuse,etc!!!
Does anybody know a speedshop or any car shop that could supply a Thermal Exaust..fuel pumps...boost controller ..etc..

Hell we could even organise a go together a few cars....get the parts installed there and come back with them.... smile Serious $$$$ saving!!

Denny-
1990 Black TSI

Re: Does anybody know????.... #392
November 18, 2004 09:53 pm UTC
November 18, 2004 09:53 pm UTC
Whistler,BC
T
Tim Hunt Offline
FP 30 Powered
Tim Hunt  Offline
FP 30 Powered
Insane Member
T
Whistler,BC
Why don't you just contact Ziggy at RTM racing, he is a Canadian Distributor for Slowboy racing, his prices are influenced by the Dollar, he get stuff from a US source,
If you go to http://www.thermalrd.com/dealer.htm
you get a listing of all the dealers, none I saw were a major DSM shop.\

NOZ Performance
(613)739-8000
1901 Bank Street
Ottawa ON K1V 81A Canada
(ocal Ottawa dealer)

2G TSI AWD Magnus 2.3L G4CS Hybrid
Re: Does anybody know????.... #393
November 18, 2004 11:08 pm UTC
November 18, 2004 11:08 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Be careful if you install aftermarket parts in the US on your car! IF they catch you at the border, they CAN confiscate your car, and if they choose to be pricks, they can charge you duty and taxes on your WHOLE CAR...not just the parts you added. The logic is that when you add parts, you are changing it, and it is no longer the same car, so the WHOLE CAR is subject to taxes and duties!!

"bluebird" worlds fastest scooter ridden by me
"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #394
November 19, 2004 12:21 am UTC
November 19, 2004 12:21 am UTC
London
Shaun MacLary Offline
Serious Member
Shaun MacLary  Offline
Serious Member
London
I wish I had of known about ziggy before I ordered my stuff from diamondstarmotorsport. Stupid 60 dollars for brokerage fee mad

Re: Does anybody know????.... #395
November 19, 2004 05:15 pm UTC
November 19, 2004 05:15 pm UTC
Ottawa
D
D
Ottawa
Originally posted by Ziggy Dietrich:
Be careful if you install aftermarket parts in the US on your car! IF they catch you at the border, they CAN confiscate your car, and if they choose to be pricks, they can charge you duty and taxes on your WHOLE CAR...not just the parts you added. The logic is that when you add parts, you are changing it, and it is no longer the same car, so the WHOLE CAR is subject to taxes and duties!!
Yeah but seriously how are they gonna know my 3" exaust was bought there with my new fuel pump and boost controller and racing seats???

Re: Does anybody know????.... #396
November 19, 2004 08:20 pm UTC
November 19, 2004 08:20 pm UTC
Calgary, AB, Canada
S
Sean Costall Offline
Serious Member
Sean Costall  Offline
Serious Member
S
Calgary, AB, Canada
That doesn't seem right. Same VIN, same car. How can they charge the existing owner duty and tax?

S.
I know everything.
1000q.dsm.org
Re: Does anybody know????.... #397
November 19, 2004 10:11 pm UTC
November 19, 2004 10:11 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You are right that they PROBABLY can't tell....but if they do....

and the logic is that the old vehicle is just the "Raw material" for the new one. Similarly, if I import a mitsu turbo, it is made in Japan, subject to duty as well as taxes. If Slowboy ports it or does the flapper mod, the turbo is just the "raw material" for the new product, and it is now an American made product, subject to taxes only.

That is also why so many large companies get all their parts made offshore cheaply, and then just assemble here, so that they can say Canadian made or US made...

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #398
November 20, 2004 03:09 am UTC
November 20, 2004 03:09 am UTC
Ottawa
D
D
Ottawa
You are right that they PROBABLY can't tell....but if they do....

and the logic is that the old vehicle is just the "Raw material" for the new one. Similarly, if I import a mitsu turbo, it is made in Japan, subject to duty as well as taxes. If Slowboy ports it or does the flapper mod, the turbo is just the "raw material" for the new product, and it is now an American made product, subject to taxes only.

That is also why so many large companies get all their parts made offshore cheaply, and then just assemble here, so that they can say Canadian made or US made...
Yeah but the thing is who in customs is gonna disasemble my turbo and check out slowboyraing job on the flap???? C'mon lets be realistic here.... whos gonna go under my car and say "excuse me sir your exaust seems new....did you buy it here sir...." did you buy your wipers here sir....did you paint your calipers with our U.S paint sir......you get my point where am going with this......lets be Realistic.

Denny
1990 TSI FWD

Re: Does anybody know????.... #399
November 20, 2004 03:17 am UTC
November 20, 2004 03:17 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I get your point.....but....go across with a nice car with lots of fancy accessories, and they just MIGHT say we'd like to see receipts for some of this stuff to prove it was bought in Canada....I have heard of people coming across with tires that were too new being caught....

You will likely get away with it 99 times out of a hundred...maybe even more....but if you are caught ONCE, you will wish you had never done it...that is what I am trying to say...

Do you buy lottery tickets? Your chances of winning there are a lot less than of being caught at the border, yet thousands of people buy them every day!! I know I won't take any chances bringing stuff across..I declare everything!!

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #400
November 20, 2004 03:54 am UTC
November 20, 2004 03:54 am UTC
Ottawa
D
D
Ottawa
I get your point.....but....go across with a nice car with lots of fancy accessories, and they just MIGHT say we'd like to see receipts for some of this stuff to prove it was bought in Canada....I have heard of people coming across with tires that were too new being caught....

You will likely get away with it 99 times out of a hundred...maybe even more....but if you are caught ONCE, you will wish you had never done it...that is what I am trying to say...

Do you buy lottery tickets? Your chances of winning there are a lot less than of being caught at the border, yet thousands of people buy them every day!! I know I won't take any chances bringing stuff across..I declare everything!!
I know what you mean and I thank you for it as your just giving warning so nobody gets any unwanted $$$ to pay. Your probably right better safe then sorry.

Denny
1990 TSI FWD

Re: Does anybody know????.... #401
November 20, 2004 04:53 am UTC
November 20, 2004 04:53 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is very easy to get things across the border, if you go across and have stuff installed there and return at the end of the day no one is going to hassle you or care about your car mods(unless they suspect illegal activity), tell them you went to see a friend or just going to spend the day in the states. Shouldnt be any probs, just make sure the driver and owner of the car is white wink (no joke either).

Re: Does anybody know????.... #402
November 20, 2004 01:09 pm UTC
November 20, 2004 01:09 pm UTC
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
S
Steve Leigh Offline
Serious Member
Steve Leigh  Offline
Serious Member
S
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
If you go and spend 1/2 a day over there in the summer just tell um you went over to six flags.

My landlord is a Canadian customs officer. wink

If you buy new tires or rims over there make sure you wash and wax the car first. New tires or shiny rims on an dusty or dirt car is a dead givaway. And leave the old ones there. bring back a set of extra tires and wheels is a dead givaway.

If it's an under the hood product there is not much they can do about once it's used. It's same with cloths you are wearing. When we go over to buy cloths or shoes were wear something that we can throw out or a ratty old pair of shoes. If you don't have an extra outfit in the car they can't do a thing.

If your buyin tools put then in an old dirty tool box

PAY WITH CASH

I bought a new motorcycle helmet over there. I just wore a POS that I picked up at a year sale for $2 and tossed it out.

2007 Toyota Yaris RS

91 LASER RS (N/T) Auto (PARTING OUT)

95 Honda VLX
Re: Does anybody know????.... #403
November 20, 2004 02:34 pm UTC
November 20, 2004 02:34 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Those are all good tips (even though they are tips for illegal activity smile ).

The main thing is don't bring the old stuff back!! If you have the old stuff in your car, they will want proof the new stuff wasn't bought there!

My brother got caught with a bunch of new clothes in his car. He didn't have receipts for the stuff (paid cash, didn't keep them). They ASSIGNED a value to them (a very HIGH value), and went through the labels to see where the stuff was made, and charged him taxes AND duty on the high value! Only way he can get any of that back is to now provide receipts for the ACTUAL value and go through months of red tape! They PROBABLY also have a record of his license number, and will PROBABLY watch him more carefully in future!

Like I said, you can USUALLY get away with it, BUT....IF you are caught, the hassle and cost will be ten times worse than what you saved all the times you got away with it!!

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #404
November 20, 2004 04:54 pm UTC
November 20, 2004 04:54 pm UTC
Ottawa @ the staging lights
Trevor Yu Offline
Trevor Yu  Offline
I work for the CFIA and we work quite a bit with both the Canada Customs and the Border Services Agencies. If you are caught trying to bring something back and you are knowingly breaking rules in the applicable Acts, you will be penalized and put on record. You will likely be targeted for future inspections/investigations (whether at the border or after you return home).

So...be careful of what you try and smuggle back. There can be very very very very very severe penalties for repeat offenders. Everything that they record is kept for a minimum of 7 years.

"False declarations and the seizure of goods

If you do not declare goods, or if you falsely declare them, we can seize the goods. This means that you may lose the goods permanently, or that you may have to pay to get them back.

Depending on the type of goods and the circumstances involved, we may impose a penalty that ranges from 25% to 80% of the goods' value.

The law also allows us to seize vehicles you use to unlawfully import goods. When this happens, we impose a penalty you have to pay before we return the vehicle. We usually seize commodities such as alcohol and tobacco products outright when they are not properly declared, and you cannot get them back.

We keep a record of infractions in our computer system that can influence the customs inspection process. If you have an infraction record, you may have to undergo a more detailed customs examination on future trips."

Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4044/rc4044-e.html#P274_18115

Cheers,
Trevor

FS: http://www.ca.dsm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002049

92AWD - JDM6-264 cams-14b-SAFC2-RC550-10ga W190-ACT2100-no BS-front AGX-K&N-boost gauge-front strut bar-EBC(F)PBR(R)
Re: Does anybody know????.... #405
November 20, 2004 05:37 pm UTC
November 20, 2004 05:37 pm UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Trevor, that is more or less what I was trying to say. People smuggle stuff successfully every day, but IF you are the unlucky one to get caught, it can be severe!!

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #406
November 22, 2004 01:40 am UTC
November 22, 2004 01:40 am UTC
Trevor Yu Offline
Trevor Yu  Offline
Trevor, that is more or less what I was trying to say. People smuggle stuff successfully every day, but IF you are the unlucky one to get caught, it can be severe!!
Sorry Zig...I had my reply window open for a LONG while and I think you replied while I was away from my computer...

Cheers
Trevor

FS: http://www.ca.dsm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002049

92AWD - JDM6-264 cams-14b-SAFC2-RC550-10ga W190-ACT2100-no BS-front AGX-K&N-boost gauge-front strut bar-EBC(F)PBR(R)
Re: Does anybody know????.... #407
November 22, 2004 06:50 am UTC
November 22, 2004 06:50 am UTC
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Ziggy Dietrich Offline
Ziggy Dietrich  Offline
Niagara Falls, Ontario
No need for an apology Trevor. I am glad someone is backing up what I am saying. I don't want it to come across as I am making this stuff up so people will buy from me instead of smuggling. I know some people are going to smuggle anyways, and most of them successfully. I just wanted to give them a warning! Like I said, I am glad someone confirmed I am telling the truth

"Whitebird" RIP
Re: Does anybody know????.... #408
November 22, 2004 08:06 am UTC
November 22, 2004 08:06 am UTC
Pickering, ON
Nick Boers Offline
Insane Member
Nick Boers  Offline
Insane Member
Pickering, ON
I declare everything i bring back. I can't afford to get bent over by the government over a matter of $50. And, it's still cheaper than buying stuff up here.