August 06, 2013 12:02 pm UTC
August 06, 2013 12:02 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
So I am going to start DTP in a week or two, want to try something fresh out and I think this is a good change from my typical workout.

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #410277
August 06, 2013 03:15 pm UTC
August 06, 2013 03:15 pm UTC
Paradise, NL
Anthony Hiscock Offline
Insane Member
Anthony Hiscock  Offline
Insane Member
Paradise, NL
Good luck with it Bryan.

I haven't been a few days, I'm stressing out over my block exam. I'm still doing cardio though.

96 Talon TSI AWD - The Gold Digger/Never Ending Build
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #411737
August 26, 2013 12:53 pm UTC
August 26, 2013 12:53 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
That's good you are keeping it up!

So I cried a little today in the gym.
After seeing a post my Kris himself stating that his shoulders were lagging until he started doing DTP I decided to give it a go.
First I will say that he was not thinking about home gym people, I was stuck using my olympic bar for the first super set and my weight never went up from there, it was extremely killer.
The second half was definitely much easier to deal with from a home gym perspective but that's only because I used 45lb plates to do my shrugs.
Overall it was a super intense workout, we shall see how I feel tomorrow and then I can decide if I will keep it up.
I am not start DTP just decided to work the shoulder workout in instead of my current one.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #413449
September 16, 2013 01:35 pm UTC
September 16, 2013 01:35 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Anthony, when you first mentioned DTP I was skeptical because of how little exercise you perform per workout and how many sets you do.
Well I am convinced, I have been doing the DTP shoulder workout since the day I last posted and I am very impressed, the pump is amazing and I am impressed at the strength gains.
As someone who has very little endurance this workout has definitely pushed me!

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #417358
November 08, 2013 03:41 am UTC
November 08, 2013 03:41 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Online Content
Insane Member
Windsor
I find that stretching ridiculous amounts is a great way to recover. Find a way to hang, pull, bend, reach, and twist. If you do a bunch of stretching and drink water it releases more lactic acid which is harmful to your muscles and by then pissing it out you have less soreness and quicker recovery due to removal of the harmful waste.
Eat all your food groups, and avoid fasting or binge eating. This causes your body to want to save and store the food as extra weight.
Start eating veggies you never thought of or would care or want to. All the colors. I frequently cook with garlic and onions. I try everyday to eat the more natural big carrots, red,yellow and orange peppers, I try to eat a few greens such as lettuce, broccoli, and cucumber. Sometimes some green type of bean or asparagus. Mushrooms are also full of good nutrients, and compliment vegetables nicely. Dont forget you nutrient and protien rich seeds, nuts, and beans.

Ginger root it one of the most amazing things for you. It is an antihistamine, anti inflammitory, and anti hypertensive. Thats just a quick list, I know there is more.

Just found this on ginger, assume to do with anti inflammitory properties:
"A study involving 74 volunteers carried out at the University of Georgia found that daily ginger supplementation reduced exercise-induced muscle pain by 25%."

I usually start my morning with ginger, and water.

Before Every meal I try and start with strictly vegetables and fruit to get all the nutrients and energy required to process, digest, and efficiently use nutrients that I will eat next.

I try and keep only 2 meals big, and the 3rd may only be a combo of fruit/veggies/nuts/a pb sandwitch.

Meals can be fish/eggs/veggies and rice
pasta/veggies/meat
meat/veggies
eggs/beans/toast
chicken/egg/veggies

I love my protien shakes with yogurt/chocolate whey/milk

I mix something called Qia into my cerial. Crazy energy, nutrient and protien boost. My cerial is gluten free and organic, I mix in granola also. Helps keep me full longer with Qia and granola and tastes better too. Sometimes some chocolate or a bit of protien powder is good in there.

Yogurt/nuts/dark chocolate mixed together rids my craving for harmful processed foods and refined sugars

I buy yogurt with no added sugar and eat it daily for the good flora. I rarely drink pop, have candy, or anything else with processed sugars. All my sugars I try and keep natural. Anything extra is being proven to cause many diseases as of lately. I dont touch processed instant food anymore and make anything but cerial bread or pasta from scratch. I almost never eat out.

I have been gluten free for the most of the past 4 months. Not always safe for everyone but it cleared up my skin and gave more clarity to my thoughts, and increased my digestive efficiency to the point I had too much energy. I could also attribute this to substituting more fruits and veggies instead of grains. Gluten free gets expensive quick, and I can live off of a bit over a 1000 a week in groceries quite comfortably.

I Prefer to bike that drive whenever possible in whatever weather imaginable: Rain, wind, and snow. Snow can be quite fun. I am a formula drift mountain bike champion in gravel and snow. Heck pavement works too. Lmao. Wheelies are a great back and arm workout. Biking works out basically everything though, heart, shoulders, forearms, biceps, chest, triceps, legs, abs. If I start hopping, wheeling, and going as fast as possible I feel it everywhere.

I try and do bulk lifting with 6-8 reps. I don't like going higher than 10 or 12. Always Freewight. Need to work the stabilizers too. For this reason sometimes starting at a lower weight to achieve full range of motion and proper form is more important. Mechanical advantages due to stabilizing mechanical equipment is cheating. I like doing full or half body workouts at a time. I do a circuit to get the heart pumping with 2 or more different muscle groups back to back that don't depend on each other. I do each set of reps back to back so I dont stop, and get a proper minute and a half rest on each muscle. Using full range of motion and altering positions to work differant angles. Ex. I bench 3 sets of flat bench, then take a few plates off do 3 sets decline bench, take a few pounds off and do incline 3 sets, then move to tricep extensions, and if im real enthusiastic some pushups both close arm and far arm widths. To fill in the gaps of arm and chest rest I work legs (calf raises, squats, lunges. I only need a day and a half or two to recover that. I don't do it as much anymore with biking though or I d never recover. My rides get pretty intense up and down hills. Going to try and start incorporating workouts around my biking again now that my job is not at all physically demanding.

Dont forget to exercise the heart. Or all of this becomes invaluable. Smoking, drinking, lack of exercise, and high colesteral and fat diets are the biggest factor for artierial disease. Blocked blood flow is like blocked oil. Block it and risk killing brain tissue through a stroke, coronary artery disease results from narrowed and blocked arteries in the heart causing heart attacks (MI) and or arrhythmia's (misfiring heart is also an inefficient pump just like our engines, and much can go wrong with its control and circuitry).

Last edited by Mike Lane; November 08, 2013 03:57 am UTC.

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #417369
November 08, 2013 02:23 pm UTC
November 08, 2013 02:23 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Lots of good info here Mike! Definitely learned some good stuff, mixed in with some old school thinking.
I have thought about going gluten free and may just look into it, I imagine the change is pretty difficult.
Also definitely going to pick up some ginger!!
I used to bike everywhere no matter the weather when I was living in Ottawa, but now that I live in Brampton and work from home I really don't have an opportunity to do that. Luckily the dog gets me out or I would probably just sit at home all day.
Can you share the name of the cereal that you are eating?

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #417406
November 09, 2013 02:09 am UTC
November 09, 2013 02:09 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
Usually get this stuff from fortinos, havent searched elsewere, think its around:

granola:
http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/granolas/
Qia (There are other ones I like this one):
http://ca-en.naturespath.com/product/qiatm-superfood-chia-buckwheat-hemp-cereal-cranberry-vanilla
Cerial (I chose this one due to value/nutrition they have others)
http://ca-en.naturespath.com/product/mesa-sunriser-flakes-raisins

I change it up to try and keep some variety but thats what Ive had most often lately. Usually I use one or the other granolas and alternate to make it taste differant, and sometimes add walnuts, chocolate, and/or honey. I always have at least the trio of granola/cerial/qia

6g of protien and lots of omegas in only 2 table spoons of that qia stuff! Also like it to boost the low calories of the cerial. Otherwise the cerial alone would be burned off with my metabolism in like an hour or so lol. the bag is small and almost 10 bucks, but it helps fill you up and I can make it last more than a week if I eat eggs instead of cerial some mornings. Hell tho if I do that and I am really hurtin for cash I ll have the cerial for an occasional dinner.

BTW was pretty damn tired typing that mother of a post above. Should read 100 a week for groceries not 1000 lmao!

Last edited by Mike Lane; November 09, 2013 02:15 am UTC.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #417415
November 09, 2013 04:19 am UTC
November 09, 2013 04:19 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Haha, yeah I was going to say!!

Cool thanks for the links!!

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418122
November 22, 2013 12:34 am UTC
November 22, 2013 12:34 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
Groceries are going to be more expensive. Im attempting my new challenge of organic only. Call me crazy. Call me obsessed. I ll call my self a stronger, more powerful finely tuned machine.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418126
November 22, 2013 12:48 am UTC
November 22, 2013 12:48 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Do some research, I do agree that in some cases organic is better but not in all.
My girlfriend did a paper on gsd foods and she said that some of it is in there to help us out with nutrients and such.
It is definitely going to be expensive though

We have been eating healthier these days, going for salads with protein and sticking to home cooked stuff a lot more.
Planning the meals for the week is probably the best decision we have made cause it makes night much easier.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418136
November 22, 2013 01:39 am UTC
November 22, 2013 01:39 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
I hear ya man! I m working on the research aspect of it still as I try and replace major things. I ve started at apples, bananas, milk, butter, yogurt, veggies, ect.

Next will be things like eggs, meat, cheese, nuts, beans.

Im more concerned with the things grown with fertilizer/that eat fertilizer.

Id be interested what you guys are reffering to with GSD. I dont even know what that stands for. Im thinking of GMO...
shoot for it. convince me of what you refer to.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418139
November 22, 2013 02:20 am UTC
November 22, 2013 02:20 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Yeah my bad, spending to much time with my half German Shepherd that I am mixing up my acronyms, GMO was what I was thinking.

It was a while ago but she basically said that they add extra vitamins to things.
For example, when I was in school they make the assumption that the students won't be getting enough sun so they would supplement vitamin D into the milk.
Any alteration good or bad is going to be removed from the product.

What's organic milk? is there no sugar?

I think fruits are a safe bet, i have tried with some and the taste was terrible so I gave up

Also after watching Food Inc, you can't even be guaranteed that you are actually getting organic food. They did a study on some Organic farms and because they were next to GMO farms the needs would blow over and then grow in their farm.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418151
November 22, 2013 02:58 am UTC
November 22, 2013 02:58 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
Being up north I am hoping local markets rid me of these problems.
store bought organic milk means something like properly raised cows, pasture fed, no hormones given, fed proper organic feed. Costs more cuz they arent pumped full of hormones to output tons of milk and their food costs more. Therefore more money to feed, less output. = more $$ for their milk.

I thought at one point the states was much worse for this but who can we trust anymore ?

I want to move away from pasteurized milk to raw milk from the sheep/cow. Pasteurizing makes sure there is no bacteria, but takes away much of the nutrient content. Proper raw milk isnt supposed to grow bacteria. From the right farmer it is safe and more nutrient rich. Google organic milk, raw milk, ect. U ll see more on what I am talking about.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Mike Lane] #418158
November 22, 2013 03:43 am UTC
November 22, 2013 03:43 am UTC
PEI
L
Lance McCabe Offline
Lance McCabe  Offline
L
PEI
For starters, I don't claim to have a vast knowledge on the subject of GMO/natural food diets, so take what I say worth a grain of salt. I did however have a few classes on the subjects in school. Research and come to your own conclusions and believe what you want.

Like you guys have mentioned, not all GMO foods are modified to change the shape and size/increase yields/whatever else that increases the bottom line of the producing companies. There are companies that do it to help people who are unable to get the required vitamins/nutrients, such as the "golden rice project."

GMO plants can also be blended with organic crops with out the farmer knowing or wanting. I can't remember the exact details but, there was/maybe still is a company in the states that was buying out farms to grow there patented corn, if a farmer refused they would grow it near by. Wait for the crops to cross contaminate, then sue the farmer for growing there patented corn. Then they would buy the farm when they couldn't pay. So if you want an actual 100% organic food you would need to get seeds from a seed bank and grow them in a sterile environment. I'm not saying eating organic is a waste of time/point less just adding content.

As far a labeling food organic the laws used to be (not sure if they have changed) so slack they were practically none existent. I believe that state have/had slightly better guide lines, but it was still along the lines of you only need to meet "x" amount of the "Y" requirements. So say it you got 12/30 you could label it as "organic".

Pesticides have also come along way as well. We not longer use arsenic and mercury to kill weeds. More developed counties usually have laws enforcing what pesticides can be used water soluble are require by most. If you want to research more of the topic and didn't learn about pesticide run off and fat soluble pesticides in high school great places to start.

As far as pasteurized milk versus raw milk, in Canada it was illegal (again not sure if the laws have changed) to buy/sell raw milk to individuals. The only "raw milk" that the government approves for the public is cheese that has been made from it, which needs to be aged for "X" amount of days under certain conditions.

Some people that have lactose intolerances, claim that they can drink raw milk with no side effects. They blame the pasteurization process on changing the milk sugars, that affects people with the intolerances. There are some videos on youtube about Michael Schmidt, a farmer from Ontario. Since he could not sell raw milk, he sold shares in his cows and would give people raw milk from their share of the cow.

Raw milk can contain many bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella, listeria, etc. It all depends on the conditions the animal is around. If the farm has chickens with salmonella, the chicken could crap in the food the cow eats and now the cow could have it as well. Pasteurization eliminates/reduces these bacteria to an allowable level, it also increases the shelf life and storage of the milk (research UHT milk).

97 Talon
08 Silverado 2500HD
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418172
November 22, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
I had only read Michaels part last night and was going to say that my understanding was Raw Milk was illegal as well, but I see Lance mentioned that too.

I think for someone to be successful in eating organic you need to know the farmer personally, then you can get your raw milk and anything else you need.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418178
November 22, 2013 01:42 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 01:42 pm UTC
scarboro raised but now oshawa...
K
KEVIN KIRELUK Offline
Insane Member
KEVIN KIRELUK  Offline
Insane Member
K
I took milk out of diet completely and feel great! We are the only species on the planet that consumes milk after infancy :s. I'm 37 and train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at least 10 hours a week. You really see the need for a clean diet when you start getting up there in age. We just don't hear/repair as quickly as we did in our teens and our 20's.

TPG+Meth
You can't tune out mechanical problems!!!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418181
November 22, 2013 02:00 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 02:00 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Yeah I think that is the better option honestly, I think your better of to switch to almond milk or soy milk.
People have seen huge results when they cut out milk, I was in the process of cutting it out but when I started bulking everyone told me it was a great way to add extra calories and fat so back in it went.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418183
November 22, 2013 02:38 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 02:38 pm UTC
K
KEVIN KIRELUK Offline
Insane Member
KEVIN KIRELUK  Offline
Insane Member
K
I stay away from soy, but love my almond milk. If you want extra calories when bulking try an MTC oil like coconut oil. It's a great way to get in the extra cals and it's almost never stored as fat.

TPG+Meth
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418185
November 22, 2013 03:56 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 03:56 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
From the paleo diet book that I just read the one oil that can be used for cooking is olive oil, all the other ones become dangerous when cooked to a certain temperature.

I do add oils to salads and stuff like that to get some extra calories.

What kind of stuff do you make with coconut oil?

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418198
November 22, 2013 08:00 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 08:00 pm UTC
Etobicoke
Deep Mann Offline
Serious Member
Deep Mann  Offline
Serious Member
Etobicoke
What! I read other way around that olive oil should not be used for cooking because once it reaches a certain burning point it turns into bad fat.

1998 Tsi Awd 10.6@134

Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418199
November 22, 2013 08:11 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Here is a good reference:
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/heating-olive-oil

I will see if I can dig up the paleo reference

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418200
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Michael Lee Offline
Insane Member
Michael Lee  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Olive oil burns too quickly, can't cook a lot of things with it.

Coconut oil is used widely by paleo dieters.

Soy is the devil like KevinK said.

I've recently started liking milk again, because of chocolate milk, but yeah, apparently we shouldn't be drinking it.

Just because some food or substance has good nutrients in it doesn't necessarily mean we can break it down and absorb it.

Like with many other things, take it in moderation and consume in moderation.

Everyone, active or not, should be taking some sort of fish oil.

1997 Eclipse GST/X
Eat in small amounts. Otherwise be prepared to paint toilet bowls~ Mike Eng
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418202
November 22, 2013 08:26 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 08:26 pm UTC
Canada
Terry S Offline
Insane Member
Terry S  Offline
Insane Member
Canada
I'm one of those people who noticed a huge difference when I cut milk out of my diet, I substituted it with soy and almond milk, it took about 2 weeks to notice my energy and digestion (and get used to the taste difference in my coffee) were on the up-and-up. I still eat fruit on the bottom yogurt sweetened with honey and I think I might make the switch to greek yogurt soon.

(Real) Extra virgin Olive oil..all the time FTW!

Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418205
November 22, 2013 08:36 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 08:36 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Agreed fish oil should definitely be taken. That was one of the huge things they listed in the book, paloelithic people averaged 2:1 for omega 6:omega 3, most people today are close to 10:1.

I am tempted to switch to greek yogurt but am really struggling with the added cost.
I think I may still make the switch though as I do enjoy the taste and thickness more than that have traditional yogurt.

Extra virgin olive oil is what I was talking about and I use pretty much all the time.
The one that I just learned of recently that intrigues me is grape seed oil, has anyone had any experience with this?

This is the book and the article about oil. I will dig up the book itself and see what it says.
http://thepaleodiet.com/vegetable-oil-fatty-acid-composition/

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418207
November 22, 2013 08:52 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 08:52 pm UTC
Canada
Terry S Offline
Insane Member
Terry S  Offline
Insane Member
Canada
My cousin has been a personal trainer for 10+ years now and he says Krill oil is leaps and bounds better then the traditional fish oils, apparently it contains (correction just 3 lol) and is super concentrated, the only issue is you will have to order it as I havn't been able to find it at any traditional store.

Last edited by Terry Sikora; November 22, 2013 09:04 pm UTC.
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418208
November 22, 2013 08:56 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 08:56 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
the wiki article states that it's hard to justify the price, also from what I can tell it only contains omega 3, which is better for you.
You should be able to find it at one of those health food stores like natural path
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krill_oil

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418210
November 22, 2013 09:14 pm UTC
November 22, 2013 09:14 pm UTC
Canada
Terry S Offline
Insane Member
Terry S  Offline
Insane Member
Canada
Bulloks! Hahaha find some and try it for us...then get back to us with the results rotflmao

Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418225
November 23, 2013 12:03 am UTC
November 23, 2013 12:03 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
Lots of good points being brought up here. I ve only really dug into the research the past few days. I ve been following the balance and moderation approach. I eat as diverse a selection of foods as possible every day. My main thinking behind organics is finding stuff I believe to be as close to pure as possible.

I see it everyday at the hospital. So much illness and disease that was totally avoidable. I don't have any interest in consuming unnatural things, chemicals, and hormones. All these things take such a huge toll on bodily systems. You only have to stress one or two for the rest to go down with them. I very much am passionate about boosting my pure nutrient consumption and diversity. I m already feeling more powerful. The hospital gym on lunch break proved this to me. There are so many hidden toxins in places people would never think. I just want to eliminate as many as I possibly can. You all have a choice. You ll get infinite amount more out of life if you make the right ones. From what I ve just read above everyone is doing much better than the general population that I deal with. It just boggles my mind how many people can go and ruin their life because they have no concept of what their bodies need, and how clueless they become to just buying anything from a store and considering it safe. sh!t adds up when you don't give your body a break from it.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418244
November 23, 2013 05:01 am UTC
November 23, 2013 05:01 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Check out a guy named IceCreamFitness, he is a good example of some one who looks fit but is far from it.
I watched one of his youtube videos and the guy was huffing and puffing through the whole video!

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Bryan Lawrence] #418251
November 23, 2013 02:47 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 02:47 pm UTC
K
KEVIN KIRELUK Offline
Insane Member
KEVIN KIRELUK  Offline
Insane Member
K
Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Check out a guy named IceCreamFitness, he is a good example of some one who looks fit but is far from it.
I watched one of his youtube videos and the guy was huffing and puffing through the whole video!

I think the majority of ppl that 'workout' are still out of shape! Most work out for appearance rather than performance. Now if you grapple, you need to be in great shape! If your not you'll be going to sleep rather quickly.

TPG+Meth
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418252
November 23, 2013 02:59 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 02:59 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Yep I have been lifting for 8 years and I used to be in shape when I was bikingeeverywhere but now I just go for walks and am not nearly as conditioned as I used to be.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418257
November 23, 2013 04:47 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 04:47 pm UTC
K
KEVIN KIRELUK Offline
Insane Member
KEVIN KIRELUK  Offline
Insane Member
K
When we get graded for belts in BJJ we have to fight for an hour straight, with a fresh guy getting thrown at us every 5 minutes. So you're rolling with 12 fresh guys non stop for an hour. Now that takes serious condition! If you get too tired to defend, you either get strangled or some rips your arm off lol.

TPG+Meth
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418261
November 23, 2013 05:39 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 05:39 pm UTC
Fort Erie, Ont
J
Jay Warwick (Pham) Online content
Serious Member
Jay Warwick (Pham)  Online Content
Serious Member
J
Fort Erie, Ont
How much more motivation do you need than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrnWC8zBcE

In all seriousness, I've been trying to get back into shape. Simple diet and exercise for this guy. Working on the road makes it too easy to eat like sh!t and not exercise, so I had to make a change. I was never a big fast food guy, but I've cut it out altogether. I'm going back to the gym and watching what I eat. I haven't dabbled in any supplements or anything like that.

Kevin - Are there any good gyms in Oshawa? I'll be there for 5 months effective January 6th.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V///
93 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I
95 & 97 DSM
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418262
November 23, 2013 05:47 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 05:47 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
LOL he is really ageing these days!

I took it really slow, I have researched ever supplement group I now take for at least a year.
I started with protein, then creatine, then bcaas and preworkouts

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418276
November 23, 2013 08:50 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 08:50 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
You guys have inspired me to start a personal performance build log. Trying to relate myself to a car again LOL. Im going to try and record everything I am eating every meal of every day, save it to word, along with how I am looking and feeling/perfoming and body mass. It have been cooler if I started out fat and out of shape. Idk If I can break 135-140 lbs as a lean 5'5" this winter I might be able to demonstrate something about my dietary changes.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418281
November 23, 2013 09:47 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 09:47 pm UTC
K
KEVIN KIRELUK Offline
Insane Member
KEVIN KIRELUK  Offline
Insane Member
K
Jay, if you're looking for a place to train bjj or MMA there is no other place than Bruckmann Martial Arts. We have more Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belts than any other clubs in Canada. We also have 3 UFC fighters. Antonio Carvalho actually teaches the MMA class.

If you're just looking for a place to lift weights, yeah we have those too. Now if your just looking to be in fantastic shape there's AreYouGame Conditioning Club Inc. It's run by our strength and conditioning coach, who's wife happens to be a pro body builder/fitness model.

TPG+Meth
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418289
November 23, 2013 11:19 pm UTC
November 23, 2013 11:19 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Mike grab myfitnesspal and add me (blawren). It's the best way to log your food plus you will be able to see what your macros are like for the day.

Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418293
November 24, 2013 12:12 am UTC
November 24, 2013 12:12 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
I ll take a look!

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Brandon Clement] #418311
November 24, 2013 05:25 am UTC
November 24, 2013 05:25 am UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
holy sh!t! Read all of this page. I learned alot about how I am feeling related to my eating. I have done alot right, but have more work to do. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Motivation for the gym [Re: Bryan Lawrence] #418339
November 24, 2013 11:11 pm UTC
November 24, 2013 11:11 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
From the paleo diet book that I just read the one oil that can be used for cooking is olive oil, all the other ones become dangerous when cooked to a certain temperature.

plus one on the dont cook this stuff. Did crazy amounts of research last night. If you over heat it it looses nutritional value. Also like wine it looses nutrients/breaks down in light. Get dark bottles or possibly the tins. Assuming no lining in the tins and oil is pure extra virgin.
TONS to be learned still. I have the time for now. I am my winter project. It will become easier.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13