June 05, 2014 05:39 pm UTC
June 05, 2014 05:39 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Jerome Ferrer Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Jerome Ferrer  Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys, me again lol. So as the title states I've noticed that my fuel pump is whining pretty loudly. If this has been answered before then I apologize, but I've been searching for over an hour and all I've seen is that whining is only normal if you've installed a stronger fuel pump.

So my question is: is it normal for my STOCK fuel pump to whine loudly? It only started whining loudly recently, as in maybe it whined before but I've never been able to notice it until now as it's quite audible. I've been told that my fuel filter may be clogged and causing the whine (due to just recently getting the car up running 3 weeks ago after sitting with 1/4 tank of gas for 7 months.)

So am I on the right path? So some background info is that I've been battling an idle issue where the car sounds like a muscle car, as in the sounds like it's pulsing. CEL is on, I forgot the code and my car's at school but it was something like "Idle systems something." The car runs great except the idle. No problems accelerating at all or anything, but if I just blip the throttle at neutral I can hear the whine go a higher pitch along with the rpm for a split second. The whine doesn't sound like it's changing with the fluctuating idle, it's just a very steady whine unless I blip the throttle.

So is the whine normal or possibly if my fuel filter is clogged and causing the whine? Appreciate the help guys.

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427771
June 08, 2014 02:13 am UTC
June 08, 2014 02:13 am UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Stephan Tanchak Offline
Insane Member
Stephan Tanchak  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario
What's your fuel pressure at? Why not just upgrade the pump? The reason it goes up with idle is because the voltage increases. Either get a rewire for it or check your voltage at idle. Might be a little low

1998 Eclipse GSX Spyder 11.5@124
AWD Talons: 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998

Team Big Turbo

PHP: 2
Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427778
June 08, 2014 12:10 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 12:10 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Jerome Ferrer Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Newbie on Probation
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure what my fuel pressure is at, I don't have afpr and I'm not sure how to read it without one. Haven't upgraded because everything is stock so I didn't feel I need to atm. I'll check the voltage at idle as well. So it should be normal for it to be whining? I don't mind the sound itself, just the fact that I started hearing it now randomly is what threw me off. If it needs replacing I'll just upgrade it but if it's fine I think I'll just postpone until I need to.

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427779
June 08, 2014 01:20 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 01:20 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Stephan Tanchak Offline
Insane Member
Stephan Tanchak  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario
Well, the whine shouldn't be very loud. Unless your tank is next to being completely empty. A walbro 190 is a cheap upgrade and doesn't require an AFPR. I also have a stock fuel pump you can have.

Team Big Turbo

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427780
June 08, 2014 01:36 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 01:36 pm UTC
Kitchener Ontario
Stephen Richardson Offline
Insane Member
Stephen Richardson  Offline
Insane Member
Kitchener Ontario
Are you sure it's the fuel pump whining? It is a good idea to replace the fuel filter regularly.

If you pinch off the return line does it whine louder?

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427795
June 08, 2014 04:16 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 04:16 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Jerome Ferrer Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Newbie on Probation
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Stephen, well when I first noticed it a couple days ago my gas tank was at half full. When I pulled the pump out and put it back in I was thinking I hadn't reinstalled correctly, probably not aligned, as it then showed on my gauge that the meter was all the way down, but then after a min or two of idling it went up to 1/8 full and I doubt I lost that much from removing.

And Stephen R I'm pretty sure it is because I know the whine is coming from the back, and I'm certain it's not the speakers. Going to double check today as I have to "realign" it to fix the gauge. I'll try to pinch the return line and check that as well. And yes I haven't changed or know the condition of the fuel filter since I got the car last year so I'll be doing it within the next week or two.

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427796
June 08, 2014 04:20 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 04:20 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Stephan Tanchak Offline
Insane Member
Stephan Tanchak  Offline
Insane Member
Toronto, Ontario
I think I have a 2g fwd pump and a 1g AWD pump. Not sure of the differences. You can have them if you pick them up. I'd suggest to test them outside before sealing everything to make sure they work. I'll also have a walbro 255 for sale soon.

Team Big Turbo

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427819
June 08, 2014 09:44 pm UTC
June 08, 2014 09:44 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
Jerome Ferrer Offline OP
Newbie on Probation
Newbie on Probation
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, so this is messed up. So on my way to get some parts I stopped by the gasoline station. After filling up and coming back to the car from paying I see a HUGE puddle of fuel. Luckily the gasoline station is only down the street from me so I got to go back home quickly.

Anyways just to make a long story short, turns out one of my classmates who disassembled the fuel filter/gauge? (other side of the fuel pump, behind driver) was in a rush to put it back together as I found the rubber seal/gasket thing inside the tank. So after putting everything back together properly and sealed, losing 3/4 tank in the process :(, I thought maybe that could of caused the whine.

So I start the car up again and the whine is still there, seeing as I had the covers off I was going to try pinching the lines as Stephen R suggested. But after listening a lot more closely with the covers off it sounded like it was coming more from the filter/gauge side. After even more listening, I found this was the culprit.

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r713/ferrerj004/IMAG00251_zps9111ebaf.jpg

Yes, that's a mbc. The lines were split and also it was leaking from the screw. So after taping the lines up heavily and replacing the mbc with a spare one I had, the whine is gone!

I actually had a thread on Tuners about this when I first got the car, I came to a conclusion that they didn't work or go anywhere as no matter how much I tightened or loosened the screw, nothing happened to my boost. Well now I know that they do go somewhere, I just don't know where yet. Also just to note that when I took off one of the lines from the mbc and alternated putting my finger off and on to block the line, it affected my idle as the boost gauge showed it getting more vacuum when I blocked the line.

Anyways don't want to go off topic but all in all the whine is now gone. It was not my fuel pump, that's what I get for assuming. So thanks so much Stephen and Stephen (lol), but I do apologize for not giving you the correct info.

Re: Stock fuel pump whine [Re: Jerome Ferrer] #427827
June 09, 2014 01:44 am UTC
June 09, 2014 01:44 am UTC
Guelph, Ontario
Jeremy Gilbert Offline
Serious Member
Jeremy Gilbert  Offline
Serious Member
Guelph, Ontario
One of them is Stephan wink

Glad you got her sorted!

1995 TSi AWD