Stratford/London
Mike Kuttschrutter Offline
Insane Member
Mike Kuttschrutter  Offline
Insane Member
Stratford/London
Originally Posted by Mike Kuttschrutter
Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
Good luck guys. The hot rod status is not as easy as you think now. You will need to go to the ministry and provide proof and show receipts that you have changed the motor to a bigger displacement one. Who knows what they will put in the system after that in regards to your vehicle.

They have cameras in the e-test bay now that takes pictures of your vehicle and sends it to the ministry. I believe, fail it 3 times and your car is pretty much doomed. First time you fail, you will no longer be able to sell the vehicle. It must pass in order to resell. They will do a visual for a cat and mods. If the car is modified, the e-test place is directed to call the ministry on the spot and report it. Big cams and full exhaust will probably make you fail.

They will still do a snifer tests on the 1g's. Mess with your DSMlink while the e-test is happening and it will fail.

If your car is going to fail, you pretty much need to know a shop that will help you out now.

Good luck!

How is that possible?
You fail the test if the readiness checks are not complete.
Eg, recent battery reset.
Brand new cars were having that issue.

And does that mean you cannot buy a car without an engine or not running?

Thank god, I guess my car is grandfathered into the hotrod category.

My buddy recently had his truck registered as a hotrod under the new rules. He had to fill out registration paper and take picutres and send it in for approval. (S10 with a 350, slammed with rusted body)
And he seemed to get the status changed without hassle.

I will let you guys know in the spring how I make out smile
Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
You're lucky you got your car grandfathered into the hot rod category. Not like I have tried, but it is not as easy anymore. I know of a few guys who failed instantly while playing around with DSMlink while their 1g's were being tested. Helder took his in for an e-test and they called up the ministry to report the car as modified. Nonetheless we got it to pass the next time around.

I am referring to the 1g, OBDI cars here, not OBDII.

So, I spoke too soon.
I went to get an e-test recently, and my vin magically lost it's hotrod status. It wouldn't have passed anyways due to other issues, but the tech said in 2013 they changed "everything".

I will make a phone call first, but I am thinking I didn't get grandfathered in...

Stock.
Re: Emissions test/dsmlink question [Re: Kyle Dolson] #428238
June 16, 2014 08:25 pm UTC
June 16, 2014 08:25 pm UTC
Guelph, Ontario
Jeremy Gilbert Offline
Serious Member
Happy Birthday Jeremy Gilbert  Offline
Serious Member
Guelph, Ontario
Yeah the 2013 revamp of the Drive Clean Program basically turned the "Big Brother" dial up to 11. They also added that no newer cars, or newly "hotrodded" cars will be able to be considered as hotrods.

Apparently, even if you have a car which has a valid "hotrod" status, but you do another engine swap today, you will lose this status.

1995 TSi AWD
11.7@119 1.8 60' - Curse of the Bad Driver
PHP: 0
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4