January 27, 2015 10:08 pm UTC
January 27, 2015 10:08 pm UTC
Windsor
Mike Lane Online content OP
Insane Member
Mike Lane  Online Content OP
Insane Member
Windsor
Hey all I am going to suggest this idea to the crowd of DSMers. I now buy bulk hemp fines for the below reasons smile I make a 50 lb order, and dont need this much at once. Throwing the idea out there to make a minimal amount of money off them to support my eating through school (and indirectly my eclipse project!) . These are similar to hemp hearts but a bit smaller (as the name implies). Hemp hearts usually go for 13 a lb. I m considering selling these for about 7.50/lb plus shipping to fellow DSMers. What do you all think? Not making much of a markup on these, just dont waste my time because I dont have alot of it wink

Benefits:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/332035-nutritional-information-for-hemp-hearts/
http://www.healing-source.com/about_HempHearts_b.htm
http://www.chatelaine.com/health/di...h-hemp-hearts-and-a-mood-boosting-salad/

Nutritional Info (4 tblspns):
http://www.healing-source.com/about_HempHearts_b.htm#NUTRIENTS
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2485466/1

Compare to:
http://manitobaharvest.com/category/13/Hemp+Hearts.html
http://www.healing-source.com/
But these are smaller fragments, same stuff.

I ll have to look into methods of EMT if I spark interest. Currently only have online banking, would accept cheques. Not interested in coming out of the dark ages for pay pal unless a bunch of you can convince me.

Thanks for the space,

Mike.

Edit: it costs me 50 bucks alone to ship 50 lbs here from BC.
If anyone else wants to buy 50 lbs at a time I ll share with them the source. Sure its going to be cheaper, and they do other sizes, but if your ordering a small quantity from BC, 1 lb shipped would be 12.50. 6 per lb plus 6.50 shipping.

Last edited by Mike Lane; January 27, 2015 10:14 pm UTC.

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437206
January 27, 2015 11:03 pm UTC
January 27, 2015 11:03 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Funny you should bring this up I was actually just about to do something up for the fitness channel.

I am going to go against what Mike is saying though. From a nutritional standpoint there are much better options and those options are also cheaper.

I started buying hemp hearts last year because I heard great things about them, but if you do a little research on Omega 3/6/9 and what your ratios are vs what they should be you will see that hemp doesn't help at all with this. For this reason alone I stopped taking it, having an omega 6 rich diet is not good for you. Read some info the paleo folks have provided and you can learn all about it. As for a protein source yeah they are pretty good.

As for what I am taking now. Flax seed, I use it everywhere that I was using the hemp hearts. It's cheaper than hemp is. A better source of omega 3s and protein.

Just some food for thought.

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437211
January 28, 2015 12:32 am UTC
January 28, 2015 12:32 am UTC
Windsor
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
I m reading hemp has a higher protien conentration than flax. And not sure where your getting your omega information? but I read this:

"Hemp nuts contain complete protein. They are a highly digestible balance of all 20 known amino acids (both essential and non-essential) and in higher quantities than most other plant sources of protein. Hemp nuts are 33-35% protein. A mere 2 tablespoons of hemp nuts contain approximately 11g of protein!

Hemp nuts contain the globular plant proteins edestin (65-67%) and albumin (33-35%). Globular proteins are responsible for enzymatic functions in the blood plasma and for antibody formation, making them critical for strong immune function. Edestin is considered the most easily digestible protein and is very similar to protein in the human body. Albumin is another highly digestible and quality source of plant protein. Hemp contains the highest known levels of edestin in the plant kingdom, making it a superior source of protein. Hemp nut is also free of trypsin inhibitors and oligosaccharides, two factors that affect the absorption and digestibility of other plant sources of protein.

Hemp nuts have a near perfect ratio of omega-3 (alpha- linolenic) to omega-6 (linoleic) essential fatty acids (EFAs). The ideal ratio is considered to be 4:1 (omega-6: o m e g a — 3) ; hemp nuts have a ratio of 3.38:1. These fatty acids are required by our body via our food; we cannot synthesize them our- selves, thus the term, "essential." Most Americans consume far more omega-6 and not nearly enough omega-3; this imbalanced ratio seems to go hand in hand with the common degenerative diseases of today. EFAs have a critical role in growth and development, inflammation response, mood regulation, immune strength, cardiovascular and neurological health, cellular respiration and more. Hemp also contains the fatty acids gamma-linolenic acid (omega-9), stearidonic acid, and oleic acid

The fat in hemp seed oil is 75-80% polyunsaturated fat (also known as EFAs) and less than 10% saturated fat. Hemp nuts contain approximately 44% fat. This overall fat percentage is lower than most nuts and carries with it the extremely desirable abundance of EFAs.

Hemp nuts are a good source of iron and also contains significant levels of the antioxidant vitamin E.

Hemp nuts and oil contain chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is nearly identical in molecular structure to our blood and is thus extremely beneficial to building the blood, nourishing, and detoxifying the body. While the quantity is not nearly as high as the chlorophyll content of other blatantly green foods, like wheatgrass or leafy greens, the more we can increase our intake of chlorophyll the better. Chlorophyll’s presence in the hemp nut is another testament to its amazingly balanced nature."

http://hippocratesinst.org/Opinion/whats-wrong-with-hemp

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437212
January 28, 2015 12:34 am UTC
January 28, 2015 12:34 am UTC
Windsor
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
I also did find this but I m not concerned about getting enough omega 3. I eat fish and also supplement with DHA. Trying concentrated DHA to help with studying/memory in school. Good to know on the flax though! Just not as potent in protien and other things.

Summary:
Chia Seed:

Contains the most fibre per serving
Contains calcium
Hemp Hearts:

Contains the most protein per serving
Contains (non-heme) iron and zinc
Canadian grown sources
Flax Seed (ground):

Contains the most Omega 3 (ALA) per serving. (Note: Fish is still a better source of Omega 3 because it contains EPA and DHA which have the heart health, brain function and more benefits. ALA converts to EPA and DHA but in small amounts.)
Canadian grown sources
- See more at: http://www.healthstandnutrition.com...hich-one-is-better/#sthash.vrspIEae.dpuf

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437213
January 28, 2015 12:35 am UTC
January 28, 2015 12:35 am UTC
Windsor
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
On hemp:
http://www.mindfuleats.com/mindfuleats/2011/10/benefits-of-hemp-seeds-vs-flax.html

"They are a nutritional powerhouse, full of omega-3 and 6, and a complete protein. Hemp seeds have about 3300mg of Omega-3 and 8100mg of omega-6 in 3 tbs (compared to 4050mg of Omega-3 and 800mg Omega-6 in 3 tbs of flax seeds). Omega-3 is harder to get than 6, and though there is more in flax seed, it is all ALA. Some of the omega-3 in hemp seed is the easier to absorb and harder to find SDA. The ratio of omega 3 to 6 is almost ideal in hemp seeds (ideal is considered 1:2 or 1:4. It's actually on the lower range of ideal, which is a bonus because most of us get enough omega-6 already. As for protein, hemp seeds are 33% protein and contain all the essential amino acids and nearly all the amino acids. 3 tbsp contain 11g protein. Hemp also does not appear to contain phytic acid that may reduce nutrient absorption."

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437225
January 28, 2015 12:27 pm UTC
January 28, 2015 12:27 pm UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Well looks like we are teaching each other a bunch of stuff.
I just did it based on what the back of the package I was looking at, based on what they had at costco the flax appeared to have a higher concentration of protein too.
My other concern when buying was fiber so that's why I grabbed the flax.
For me I am just trying to remove as much omega 6 as I can cause as it says there ideal is 1:2 which was the reason I skipped the hemp hearts.

I guess in the end you need to decide what exactly you are taking it for, based on what you are posting we are taking these supplements for different reasons.

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Hemp Fines, Nutritionally awesome, full of protien [Re: Mike Lane] #437239
January 28, 2015 11:38 pm UTC
January 28, 2015 11:38 pm UTC
Windsor
Insane Member
Insane Member
Windsor
On further ingestion, lol, it appears that the fines are full non hulled seeds crushed up with the shells. So there is seeds (shells), and hulled shells leave behind the seed/nut/heart. What I have is everything not shelled just crushed. Therefore it actually is higher in fiber and slightly less potent in everything else inside. But I don't reckon that having the shell is a bad thing, just a little bit of bitter, not gross to me tho.

97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red