Rate Thread
HotBits Sports Suspensions - 3G Colt/Mirage #442230
August 09, 2015 03:45 pm UTC
August 09, 2015 03:45 pm UTC
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tim Eagles Offline OP
Tim Eagles  Offline OP
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
This is cross posted internationally at this point, as I collect information about what platforms are covered by HotBits at this point in time. I visited their site and got in touch with their Canadian contact:

HOT BITS Sports Suspensions Inc
334, Rutherford Rd. S. Unit 4 Brampton
Ontario L6W3P5
Canada
Mobile: +1 6474018030
Tel: +1 905 458 1318
Fax: +1 905 458 8963
Email : peter@hotbits.ca

We have a listing of Colts/Lancers that appears to be Australian in nature (not sure what market Malaysia was following), and have contacted them directly to confirm coverage of the 3G Mirage/Lancer/Colt. You guys recognize this as the FWD 1989-1992 Colts that are always parading around on "www.4g61t.org".

What I would like to know, is if someone has a running 3G that can make it to the address above to have the wheels removed and suspension checked and measured. IF this needs to happen, it would be nice to know that there is a car lying in wait to get the engineering we need to make this happen.

They make suspension for the GVR4, which was detailed at www.galantvr4.org ala Larry Parker styles:

HOT BITS Tuning / Service USA
Larry Parker,1849 Larkmore Blvd Berkeley
Michigan 48072
U. S. A.
Tel: +1 586 980 2543
Email: larry@hotbits.ca

Larry Parkers car for sale thread complete with links to his build of the GVR4

If you know of anyone in the brampton area/GTA with a 3G, please let me know. This is only if they don't have the data on hand at their central location in Malaysia, to confirm what is needed to start a suspension build.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Eagles
aka
Flying Eagle
Admin @ 4g61t.org

Re: HotBits Sports Suspensions - 3G Colt/Mirage [Re: Tim Eagles] #442269
August 10, 2015 11:06 pm UTC
August 10, 2015 11:06 pm UTC
Cornwall, Ontario
B
Bryan OShaughnessy Offline
Bryan OShaughnessy  Offline
B
Cornwall, Ontario
Does it need to have stock suspension in place?

1989 Dodge Colt GT
4G63T 16G

PHP: 1
Re: HotBits Sports Suspensions - 3G Colt/Mirage [Re: Tim Eagles] #447304
March 29, 2016 12:47 am UTC
March 29, 2016 12:47 am UTC
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tim Eagles Offline OP
Tim Eagles  Offline OP
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Sorry for the super late reply.

I have just pulled a set of OEM C52A front and rear struts (complete) from a 1992 Colt that I have just finished harvesting.

So, to answer the question above, stock suspension or not, as long as it is KYB GR2, KYB Exel G or factory KYB black, the springs installed won't matter and the as long as the strut are OEM style.
If you show up with DMS coilovers, it might not be the same ball game.

If the rear struts have to be pulled to check stroke, the rears become a slight bother because of plastic trim in the way. Best to remove it before putting the car on the road and travelling down.

If someone is heading down to Toronto and the Brampton location, I can meet up and supply the struts in question for Peter to have a crack at. Considering they already have the structure in place for DSM coilovers with canisters, the 3G Colt/Mirage/Summit fronts are identical in every way except for OEM spring hat and shock body length/total stroke. Rear shocks are nearly identical externally to Evo 10 stuff (not sure if GSR/RS or trim level).

Assuming nobody is headed down that way, I will consider making a trip with Colt once it is tuned to be on the road. E-test and coolant system mods may hold me back this spring ... but we will see.

I'll offer up cash for gas because nothing happens for free and it is better than paying Canada Post two ways ..... if the suspension gets built to the spec we need for street style suspension, then I will be making a trip down there to shake it down once it is installed.