April 27, 2000 02:19 am UTC
April 27, 2000 02:19 am UTC
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
M
Michel Brais Offline OP
Michel Brais  Offline OP
M
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
We had a small meet at the local track which is 20 minutes away from Montreal.

Only 5 DSMs showed up and it was the opening day at the local track. I really wanted to try out a few passes to see the performance of the car, but mostly to see what people are always talking about.

I knew that since it was cold out, not many people would show up. So even if I would launch like drivers ed student, not many peolpe would laugh at me.

As soon as the lanes opened, Francois Villeneuve and I got in the car to stage. I really wanted somebody to show me how the lights worked and stuff.

The engine was cold and I was running some 94. Unfortunately my wastegate had a problem and boost was set at 15 psi, with 17 psi at higher rev range.

So the first yellow lights lit on, the second one, and then that disco light flashed green. I really did'nt know it would happen that fast.

Anyways, I launched at 5500. It felt really good since I never launch the car (I only practiced twice the day before). The 1-2 shift was awfull since the tyranny was really cold. I had no clue when to let off the throttle. I had to ask Francois where the 1/4 mile ended.

The EGTs were really low at 1533 degrees and the O2 reading was 0.92v. So I knew I could do better. I was really anxious to get my first time slip.

I managed a 13.912 @ 101.9 mph with a 1.890 sec time for the 60 feet. I knew I could do better without my payload (sorry Francois) and leaning things out.

Unfortunately, after doing 10 passes that day, I managed only a 13.604 @103 mph
<--------- insert insults or laughs here

I try putting some race gas in but I already had 1/2 of a tank full already. So only the race gas started to go through after I left the track. I knew it because I started doing some funky farts on the road when letting off the throttle.

Everybody had fun though. Francois Installed an UIP with a 1g BOV on Emmanuel's 2G during the day. This mod alone brought his time down to the 14's while everything else was stock.

Even though I was really pissed at my car, I think it would take a 10 second car to give me as much fun as going on a road course or rally stage.

But at least I didnt pull a Craig Watson that day [Linked Image]

------------------
Michel
My life is crap
http://www.azur.qc.ca/rallye

[This message has been edited by Michel Brais (edited April 26, 2000).]

Re: Napierville april 16- My first try at drag racing #75730
April 27, 2000 01:58 pm UTC
April 27, 2000 01:58 pm UTC
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
Steve Kinnaird Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Steve Kinnaird  Offline

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Beamsville, Ont, Canada
13.60 is nothing to laugh at!! Congrats, Michel!!

AS for your 13.9 on your first attempt.. with the extra ballast (Sorry, Francois [Linked Image] ) my first pass ever was a 16.xx!!

You'll probably find its more fun when a V8 making a whole lot of noise to pull a 14.3 is racing beside you! [Linked Image]

LOL!! "at least I didn't pull a Craig Watson that day!!" I used to say "Any day I drive home is a good day at the strip." Perhaps I should revise it... LOL.. [Linked Image]

------------------
1992 Eagle Talon Tsi FWD
Superiority after 60'..

ICQ # 9622983
www3.sympatico.ca/steve.kinnaird

Now, I'll have all kinds of time to talk about DSMs, because I won't be busy fixing mine!
Re: Napierville april 16- My first try at drag racing #75731
April 27, 2000 04:56 pm UTC
April 27, 2000 04:56 pm UTC
Grimsby, Ontario
C
Craig Watson Offline
Craig Watson  Offline
C
Grimsby, Ontario
HEY!!!! what the H--L!

now, you must understand.. 'pulling a Craig Watson' can not be used as a generic term. I have broken many bits on my car running the 1320 (clutch pressure plate and ran a 21sec pass, timing belt resulting in blown engine and ran a 17sec pass, and a harmonic balancer I did not make a pass once the damage was noticed)... so in order to say you have or have not 'pulled a Craig Watson' to be politically correct you should specify what you broke or were not intending to break [Linked Image]

BTW - I only allow women to pull me [Linked Image]

Congrats on the 13.9 Michel, kudos to your driving skills. Also, is your email working? I have tried emailing you.

------------------
93 Talon Tsi AWD
hookin up and headin out
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/1125/

93 Talon Tsi AWD

my website
Re: Napierville april 16- My first try at drag racing #75732
April 27, 2000 05:50 pm UTC
April 27, 2000 05:50 pm UTC
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
M
Michel Brais Offline OP