July 21, 2000 04:15 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline OP

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline OP

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
Does anyone else feel an empty-ness today? After having gone 3 years in a row...I somehow feel strange today [Linked Image]

anyone who did go, please post how it was

------------------
PurplePlymouthGuy
1992 Laser AWD
DSMentia support group leader...

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG
Re: Norwalk shootout #87131
July 21, 2000 10:07 pm UTC
July 21, 2000 10:07 pm UTC
dallastx
D
dan vanhamme Offline
dan vanhamme  Offline
D
dallastx
it was my first year to go there it was kool what would u like to know about it? my friend got a few races on mpeg we will try and get them online soon
dan

Re: Norwalk shootout #87132
July 21, 2000 10:29 pm UTC
July 21, 2000 10:29 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Were there many 10s and 11s street cars there? Any records broken? Anything special happen? Just the usual update would be great, thanx dan!

------------------
Cya O!
GiO
If its not popping flames, crank it up!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/myride.htm

Re: Norwalk shootout #87133
July 22, 2000 04:06 pm UTC
July 22, 2000 04:06 pm UTC
Windsor/Toronto Ont
Peter Tarach Offline
Insane Member
Peter Tarach  Offline
Insane Member
Windsor/Toronto Ont
There were a decent amount of cars running 10's and even more running 11's and low 12's.

Hey Dan, what kind of car did you have? I was looking for people with ontario license plates but i couldnt find anyone [Linked Image]

------------------
Peter Tarach
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/9907/
Laser LESS AGAIN...But a whole pocket full of money!
90 Talon NT

95 Nissan 240 SX - SR Powered - 324whp@16psi
95 Honda Accord - H22A 191whp, 152tq. Melted Piston
Re: Norwalk shootout #87134
July 22, 2000 07:33 pm UTC
July 22, 2000 07:33 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline OP

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline OP

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
You guys are lousy play by play announcers.

Did Extreme show up? was there 100 cars or 400 cars...How did Damian do?

who won etc [Linked Image]

------------------
PurplePlymouthGuy
1992 Laser AWD
DSMentia support group leader...

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG
Re: Norwalk shootout #87135
July 23, 2000 03:03 am UTC
July 23, 2000 03:03 am UTC
dallastx
D
dan vanhamme Offline
dan vanhamme  Offline
D
dallastx
mark sorry
peter i have a MI plate my car was one of the only one with a white fender<gold car> and no wing on it
dan
i didnt run it just went to watch

Re: Norwalk shootout #87136
July 23, 2000 07:25 pm UTC
July 23, 2000 07:25 pm UTC
Windsor/Toronto Ont
Peter Tarach Offline
Insane Member
Peter Tarach  Offline
Insane Member
Windsor/Toronto Ont
Mark,

Id say just a little over 100 cars and as for all the winners etc, wait one month and i will let you borrow my tape of the event. Bad camera work but it shows most of the winners.

Dan, where in Michigan are you from?

------------------
Peter Tarach
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/9907/
Laser LESS AGAIN...But a whole pocket full of money!
90 Talon NT

95 Nissan 240 SX - SR Powered - 324whp@16psi
95 Honda Accord - H22A 191whp, 152tq. Melted Piston
Re: Norwalk shootout #87137
July 23, 2000 11:46 pm UTC
July 23, 2000 11:46 pm UTC
dallastx
D
dan vanhamme Offline
dan vanhamme  Offline
D
dallastx
peter i am in grosse pointe just east of detroit
dan

Re: Norwalk shootout #87138
July 24, 2000 01:28 pm UTC
July 24, 2000 01:28 pm UTC
windsor, on, canada
A
Antero Jussila Offline
Serious Member
Antero Jussila  Offline
Serious Member
A
windsor, on, canada
White front end, and no spoiler? That describes the car parked next to my blue stealth (ontario plates).

I'd estimate around 100 DSM cars were at the event. This was my first race event.
Now I wish I should have purchased my exhaust from the event and saved on shipping/brokerage fees.

Did anyone return for the sunday event?

Inventor, Creator of LCD Boost controller, Touchscreen Scantool, OBD1 to OBD2 Canbus converter.
Re: Norwalk shootout #87139
July 24, 2000 10:34 pm UTC
July 24, 2000 10:34 pm UTC
dallastx
D
dan vanhamme Offline
dan vanhamme  Offline
D
dallastx
thats my pos car they want 450 to paint the fender i dont have the money for that
dan

Re: Norwalk shootout #87140
July 25, 2000 10:07 pm UTC
July 25, 2000 10:07 pm UTC
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
A
Allan Pepper Offline
Allan Pepper  Offline
A
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Man what a weekend!

This was my first trip to the Shootout - it was closer than I expected, only a 10 hour
drive from door to door (only later was I told that Ohio is pretty strict about speed
limits, so cruising at 85 without a radar detector wasn't the smartest thing in the
world to be doing).

Pulling into the Gull Thursday night was a bit of a taste of things to come. There were
about 10-12 DSMs out back and I was the last to get there. Even one on a trailer...

Everyone was up and out nice and early (too early) to head on out to the drags. Our
little caravan just kept on growing as we got closer to the track and at the track it was a
DSM zoo! It looked like hundreds of cars waiting in line (I think the final total was
about 200 and every one of them a DSM in some way). Walking up and down the pit area there
were cars in just about every state of mod. From my little stocker to Daves new Buick GN
to a 4G63 powered tube frame with CRX sheet metal and everything in between.

Q8 qualifying was up first and the first car down the track was pulling 10s! Quite a day
indeed. I'm not going to give a full race report (I only met or could tell you about
1/2 of the results anyway), but all the bigshots were there. Sean Glazar walked away
with the highest MPH of the event (149) and John Sheppard won the Q8 (with a 10.2).
Congrats also to Erik Plebani for winning the DSM powered class!

The B2 bracket class was easily the largest class there. We easily filled 4 staging lanes
on the first round of eliminations. It was there that I finally got to put some faces to
the names I keep reading about on the digest. Mario, ** , and lots of others...

All too soon it was over for me, a too quick reaction and a red light in the first round
meant I was a spectator for the rest of the afternoon. At least the kid in the timing hut
was sympathetic!

Back at the hotel, as the Indy DSMer next to me installed a VPC I made the discovery that
I forgot to bring my wheel nut key so I can't put on the race tires I dragged halfway
across the continent for the autocross the next day. After a frantic evening of
searching I managed a few quick hours of sleep. Much thanks to the Penzoil across the
street for remembering they had a universal key(!) and helping out at 7:30am.

Over at the autocross track, Chad had organized a great event. Many thanks to him
and Kumho for putting up 5 sets of race tires for all the class winners. The track was fast
- requiring third gear in two places and lots of brakes. Fortunately the day went much
better for me than the drags and I managed a 4th in class. After running over as many
cones as I did, the next job was tending them for the others. Seeing ** 's be-stickered (12
second!) Talon racing towards you at 80mph while tending cones is quite a sight!

After the prizes is was back to the hotel for some much deserved rest and celebration (and tending of the sunburn two full days of standing around in the sun results in). I
didn't stick around for Sunday but started the drive home at a much more Ohio-safe
speed.

What a weekend! Now I get to think about what I can do for next year.

Allan
97 TSI AWD

Re: Norwalk shootout #87141
July 28, 2000 01:49 pm UTC
July 28, 2000 01:49 pm UTC
Royal Oak, MI, USA
E
Edwin Ho Offline
Edwin Ho  Offline
E
Royal Oak, MI, USA
Hello all,

Allan did a pretty good job summarizing the event, but I'll add my $0.02.

If any of you were wondering, I was the trailer queen. Not because I can't drive it, but because of all the crap I brought wouldn't have fit in the Laser. Plus it was great just rolling it off the trailer, racing it, and then rolling it back on. No need to be changing tires, etc.

It was mostly IndyStars at the Gull, but in addition to Allan and me, there were a few people from Conneticut and Michigan (whom I didn't know). Thanks to Damian for letting me share their room.

Fri. didn't start out too good for me. Lots of waiting, not a whole lot of racing. My time trials were slow and then I got eliminated in the first round by Porsche Killer. Oh well. I datalogged my runs and ended up having to turn the boost down to 14# to keep from knocking. My last run of the day, I managed to break into the 13s! I ran a 13.9@98.

Sat. was the autox, the main reason I came (apart from the social aspect). Once again, I was running in the stock race tire class (along with Allan). Not to make excuses, but with the lack of seat time (only my second autox this year) and old hard tires, I was struggling. In the end, I got beat by 0.087 sec. for first place. Oh well, there's always next year.

I stuck around for Sun. too. Lots of the MI-DSMers were running. Mike Eggleton managed a third in brackets and Jon Stough managed to make it into the second round of Street 8. Lots of fast DSMs.

That's it for now. Hope you guys consider going next year. It just wasn't the same without you. See you in London.

Ed.