February 27, 2000 08:39 pm UTC
February 27, 2000 08:39 pm UTC

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok, being the audio virgin that I am. (Of course real racers dont listen to the radio but rather the sound of there chevy v-8's [Linked Image], but thats another story)
I just hooked up an amp in the talon. I already am running a 40 watt amp for the front speakers. And just hooked up a 125 to power two subs. I now have a alternator noise coming through my speakers, as rpm increases as does the pitch of the whine. Guessing that it is simply a bad power connection that is allowing alternator noise to come through. Although I am using the same power wire that runs the 40 watt, and never had the noise before. Any suggestions out there?

------------------
Shawn (Really my wifes car) Basso
Love those f-bodies

Re: audio whoas #88329
February 27, 2000 09:10 pm UTC
February 27, 2000 09:10 pm UTC
Burlington, Ontario, CAN
G
Glenn Turnock Offline
Glenn Turnock  Offline
G
Burlington, Ontario, CAN
Grounding, Grounding, Grounding!

You probably have a ground-loop somehere running between your Amps. Make sure that both Amps are grounded at the same point.

You might also want to make sure that any speaker connectors are not inadvertently touching the case of the amplifiers [Linked Image].. I had that problem... In my case, it turned out that the fancy-schmancy turbo style gold plated RCA connectors were just a little big, and they were coming into contact with the amplifer case...

Hope this helps!
Glenn.

Re: audio whoas #88330
February 28, 2000 12:45 am UTC
February 28, 2000 12:45 am UTC
Langley B.C.
T
Troy Simkus Offline
Troy Simkus  Offline
T
Langley B.C.
If you ran the power wire and the RCA cables down the same side of the car, that could cause some feedback.

Re: audio whoas #88331
February 28, 2000 03:18 am UTC
February 28, 2000 03:18 am UTC
Zephyr,Ont,Canada
C
Chris Holmes Offline

V8 owner
Chris Holmes  Offline

V8 owner
C
Zephyr,Ont,Canada
Disconnect the RCA cables going to the new amp, if it still produces whine then the noise is coming in on the Power. Likely a bad ground loop as Glen pointed out. There should only be one ground for the system. If the noise goes away then the noise is likely coming in on the RCA cables. Reroute them away from ALL power sources or even try a different set.
Might even be the amp it self. Is it mounted on wood or screwed to the sheetmetal? If it is directly attached to metal then you have TWO grounds. Try mounting it on a piece of plywood to isolate the case from the car chassis.

------------------
'91 Laser RS Turbo-"Sound Advice" guy.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The replacement for Displacement

'06 Magnum R/T (Yeah -it's got a HEMI!) Mods beginning!