March 02, 2000 08:18 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP

Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Mike Jackson  Offline OP

Onurmomstitties
Hey me again... I cleaned up my posts into 1. I need help with the following:

I just installed an HKS UIC pipe and elbow with a 1G BOV (came with it). My turbo spools much slower now and when I let off the gas and press in the clutch and let the rpms fall they go right down to 500 or lower and sometimes cause it too stall. If it didn't stall the rpms will then rise to 750. The louder the BOV is going off when I do this the further rpms drop. Is this the sign of a bad BOV? Steve said this is what happened when he vented his to the atmosphere and I searched the DSM archives and they said the same... but mine is not venting to the atmosphere. Steve did you also get the poor spool up or just the rpm drop? Any help would be greatly appeciated guys. I'm planning on selling my BOV to Allan Wong but I ain't gonna sell him a piece of sh#t so if the problem is the BOV I want to know.

Later...

------------------
Mike J

-Quadcylla-
92 Laser RS-T, FWD

Vortex Racing
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robin.jackson2/HomePage.htm

[This message has been edited by Mike Jackson (edited March 02, 2000).]

1998 AWD 12.1@122 421whp -SOLD
Duck Dodgers = EPIC FAILZ!
Re: BOV? #88403
March 02, 2000 08:32 pm UTC
March 02, 2000 08:32 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where is it venting, it has to be vented back into the intake before the turbo and after the MAS so that you your air-fuel ratio is right. Check all your connections for leaks.

Re: BOV? #88404
March 02, 2000 08:33 pm UTC
March 02, 2000 08:33 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP

Mike Jackson  Offline OP

Onurmomstitties
Yup it's venting there... stock setup. I will check for leaks. Thanks.

------------------
Mike J

-Quadcylla-
92 Laser RS-T, FWD

Vortex Racing

Re: BOV? #88405
March 02, 2000 08:52 pm UTC
March 02, 2000 08:52 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well Mike I remember those days like it was yesterday. When I installed my upper IC pipe I thought it would work wonders for me but I got the same results you did. Theres more to it than just changing the Upper IC. Alot of things come into play and I had to do alot of trouble shooting to find out what was gooin on. First things first, by replacing the upper ic you have change the volume of air that goes into the intake so the car is going to react diferentley. If you ask me it sounds like your BOV is leakin or is not holding boost pressure. Every time I punched my car and would let off it would stall on me. It was a combination of two things for me and apparentley after having dome alot of research its pretty common so here goes. I found that my stock 1st gen BOV was not holding pressure...it was leaking boost under WOT. The other which is very common check to see if the outlet coming from the top of you intercooler is not bent or warped....this will cause an improper seal to the ic pipe and it willleak boost from there. Usually when a TSI stalls or reacts like its going to stall means you have a boost/vacum leak. And since this is a new symptom for you Im sure its leaking in regards to your new setup. All in all I fixed my probolem by finding where the leak was comin from and I bought a blitz BOV cause the stock one crushed or not wasnt doin the job especially at higher levels of boost. Oh and I do vent mine off to the atmosphere as well... when you do this the rpms will drop regardless and sometimes it will actually stall but not very often. It basically takes gettin used to but this is the price we pay when we want speed and performance.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

------------------
4 cylinders under the hood leaves more room for horsepower!!
92 Eagle TSI AWD

[This message has been edited by Joe P (edited March 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Joe P (edited March 02, 2000).]

Re: BOV? #88406
March 02, 2000 09:42 pm UTC
March 02, 2000 09:42 pm UTC
Salt Lake City, UT
S
Scharok Nieknam Offline
Insane Member
Scharok Nieknam  Offline
Insane Member
S
Salt Lake City, UT
joe, dont u actually kill the performance like that? when you vent out your bov without a vpc, u wil run rich by squirting fuel in between shifts, and that actually slows u down.
read the archives, there are detailed discussions.

Re: BOV? #88407
March 03, 2000 01:47 am UTC
March 03, 2000 01:47 am UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP

Mike Jackson  Offline OP

Onurmomstitties
Well I swapped to my old BOV and problem is gone. I guess the BOV I got was leaking... and I think it was crushed too cuz it made alot of noise (stutter) while mine just swooshes a little. Oh well... turbo response is back and power feel good... and that's only at my winter 15 psi. Thanks guys... especially Joe P, but I won't be venting it to the at anytime soon.

Later..

------------------
Mike J

-Quadcylla-
92 Laser RS-T, FWD

Vortex Racing

Re: BOV? #88408
March 03, 2000 02:35 am UTC
March 03, 2000 02:35 am UTC
Richmond Hill, Ontario
J
Joe Pirrotta Offline
Joe Pirrotta  Offline
J
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Mike no problem just keep me in mind for your Mas flap mod thinngy. [Linked Image]

Scharok my goal when I first started out was to Mod my car so I can run low twelves and possibly high elevens without the use of a VPC,PMS,AFC or anything of the sort. And this year twelves are a for sure thing for me. My MAS is modified and along with my adjustable feul pressure regulator I can run as high as 25-26lbs of boost while my A/F guage reads a safe mixture. Yes I do sacrifice a little feul efficiency but its not as bad as you think. I still get between 400-425km on a full tank. And in terms of performance you can watch me run the car this year at St. Thomas. [Linked Image] Mind you with all the mods I have and the way the car is running its been faster than ever before. I doubt that Im losing performance; e.g. 12.89 104.5mph @18psi on my Vericom. [Linked Image]

------------------
4 CYLINDERS UNDER THE HOOD MEANS MORE ROOM FOR HORESPOWER !! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Pirrotta (edited March 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Joe Pirrotta (edited March 02, 2000).]

Magnus Motorsports Webmaster
4 CYLINDERS UNDER THE HOOD MEANS MORE ROOM FOR HORESPOWER !!
1992 TSI AWD
Re: BOV? #88409
March 03, 2000 02:58 am UTC
March 03, 2000 02:58 am UTC
Salt Lake City, UT
S
Scharok Nieknam Offline
Insane Member
Scharok Nieknam  Offline
Insane Member
S
Salt Lake City, UT
joe, u mean on the 30th right (july shootout)...
cant wait...i am gonna run mine too for the first time after having the car for 2 yrs,... but i am not aiming for 12's,.. with my shifting, if i get 16's i will be a happy camper. [Linked Image]

Re: BOV? #88410
March 03, 2000 05:02 am UTC
March 03, 2000 05:02 am UTC
Richmond Hill, Ontario
J
Joe Pirrotta Offline
Joe Pirrotta  Offline
J
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Cool Scharok Im lookin forward to meetin all you guys there. Can't wait!!!

------------------
4 CYLINDERS UNDER THE HOOD MEANS MORE ROOM FOR HORESPOWER !! wink

Magnus Motorsports Webmaster
4 CYLINDERS UNDER THE HOOD MEANS MORE ROOM FOR HORESPOWER !!
1992 TSI AWD
Re: BOV? #88411
March 03, 2000 01:43 pm UTC
March 03, 2000 01:43 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP

Mike Jackson  Offline OP

Onurmomstitties
Actually I'm not 100% certain it was the BOV cuz I at first jury rigged up a temp connection from the IC outlet to the first pipe... cuz I didn't have the right boot. It could be that I had a leak there. When I swapped out the BOV I also replaced that temp boot with a better one (better not great). So one of these 2 things fixed the problem. Maybe I should swap the BOV back on and keep the boot on to see if the BOV is truely the culprit.

Later...

------------------
Mike J

-Quadcylla-
92 Laser RS-T, FWD

Vortex Racing

Re: BOV? #88412
March 03, 2000 02:44 pm UTC
March 03, 2000 02:44 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mike a good way to check to se if your BOV is leakin is to run the car and try to listen while under acceleration and listen for a hissing noise under WOT. Another way to do it is to run the engine go under the hood and rev the engine with the accelerator cable and put your ear close to the BOV. If its leakin youll hear air gushing out while you give it gas. When you let of the gas it will expend boost which is normal so dont confuse yourself with that. To tell you the truth a better way of checking for testing purposes is to vent it to the atmosphere by diconnecting the hose that runs from the BOV. Plug the end of the hose up with a cloth or somethin, mind you the engine may stall but youll be able to hear it a hell of alot better when your under the hood and givin it gas with the accelerator cable. If the BOV isnt holdin boost youll hear that pouppy leak when you play with the accelerator cable. If you get a check engine light after doing this TRUST ME dont panic and reset the comp by removing the battery cables for about 60 seconds and replace everything after your done testing of course and youll be fine. Again Im telling you to vent it for testing puposes cause if its leakin while you give it gas you will absoutely know and it saves alot of guess work. If you like I can meet with you and check it out myself let me know.

------------------
92 Eagle TSI AWD

[This message has been edited by Joe P (edited March 03, 2000).]

Re: BOV? #88413
March 03, 2000 02:50 pm UTC
March 03, 2000 02:50 pm UTC
Onurmomstitties
Mike Jackson Offline OP

Mike Jackson  Offline OP

Onurmomstitties
Sounds simple enough I'll try it. Thanks for the offer but I can take care of it. Maybe I'll get a little time tomorrow to try it.

Later...

------------------
Mike J

-Quadcylla-
92 Laser RS-T, FWD

Vortex Racing

Re: BOV? #88414
March 03, 2000 03:44 pm UTC
March 03, 2000 03:44 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cool let me know what happens cause Im curious.

------------------
92 Eagle TSI AWD