December 02, 2000 11:23 pm UTC
December 02, 2000 11:23 pm UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
Dominic Rouse  Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Hey people, it's me, the winter paranoid freak! Well, my latest trip to Crappy has me come home with Motormaster Antifreeze solution and a Prestone Flush Kit. Can someone please confirm that I'm an idiot and tell me if they've used this kit before with the Talons.

There are 3 flushing tees sold with the kit which allows you to back-flush the cooling system by forcing water from a hose (that's what the tee's are for - to cut the upper rad hose and place this tee inline so that flushes can be done every year with ease) into the tee. Now, the upper rad hose on our Talons are about 2" dia. with the tee's in the flush kit provided are 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4" dia. Now, how the hell am I supposed to fit this to the upper rad hose?

Like I said, someone confirm I'm an idiot or give your methods in successful rad flushes.....please

Many thanks everyone! Burrfu%k it's cold outside!

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

"See you at the stoplight...!!"
[Linked Image]

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer
Re: !!!Rad Antifreeze!!! #91319
December 03, 2000 12:58 am UTC
December 03, 2000 12:58 am UTC
Mississauga
A
Andrews March Offline
Andrews March  Offline
A
Mississauga
I think they go on your heater core hoses....

They are about 3/4" and run into the firewall... sorry, can't remember off hand which side they are on... I can check for you

------------------
Andrews M
90 TSI AWD
Don't sing it, Bring it.

Andrews M
In search of a 4G61T Colt
Re: !!!Rad Antifreeze!!! #91320
December 03, 2000 04:33 am UTC
December 03, 2000 04:33 am UTC
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
S
Steve Leigh Offline
Serious Member
Steve Leigh  Offline
Serious Member
S
Ft.Erie ONT Canada
Hey I just did my rad flush a week or so ago,I first dumped in the flush stuff an ran the car for a while with the heater on full.Then I undid the drain plug on the rad and let it drain out, I then turned on the garden hose took off the rad cap and poured water in until the water from the rad ran clear.Then I put the rad plug in and started the car and let it pump the fresh water threw.I let it run for about 10 minutes.Then with the fresh water running in the rad I undid the rad plug again and let it flow until it ran clear.(I did this twice)Shut the car off.and put the plug back in.
Next flush out the reservoir bottle and fill it with 50/50 coolant.I used Havoleen exteded life (GM DEX-COOL) its suposed to be the best.I dumped in 3 liters of strait coolant and mixed the rest 50/50 and toped it off,
Start the car and let it warm up fill the resevior tank up to the cold mark before it warms up ,top it off agin if it needs it then TEST the coolant mixture.I took mine to a garage and a guy tested it for me He said it was perfect.

[This message has been edited by Steve Leigh (edited December 02, 2000).]

2007 Toyota Yaris RS

91 LASER RS (N/T) Auto (PARTING OUT)

95 Honda VLX
Re: !!!Rad Antifreeze!!! #91321
December 03, 2000 09:45 pm UTC
December 03, 2000 09:45 pm UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
Dominic Rouse  Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Ok, it's official, I'm a shmoo! I traced the two 3/4" pipes from the firewall (thanks Andrews!!) and low and behold there was a tee already fitted in the passenger side pipe that goes straight into the Rad Cap housing. (I'm sure it has a name but hey, my manual is in my car and I'm in the house....d'oh...like I said, I'm an idiot....but I'm learning)

Anyway, flushing procedure completed and car seems to purr in thanks afterwards. One note to anyone doing the back-flush method with the tee; collecting the flushed fluid is a bitch as it flows out of the rad cap and down all over the engine to the floor...good luck trying to catch all the green goop!

L8tr DSMers!!

Til my next dilema..... [Linked Image]

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

"See you at the stoplight...!!"
[Linked Image]

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer