December 06, 2000 08:34 pm UTC
December 06, 2000 08:34 pm UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
Dominic Rouse  Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Ok, DSM dudes, I need an honest and EXPERIENCED opinion here. This is a continuation from my earlier post about my seized/stuck shifter.

Checked clutch fluid resevoir.....ok

Looked inside shifter housing nothing falling apart or unrealistically loose in there....ok

Walked to Mr. Lube on Dufferin&Steeles and had the manager (I only go to the top now) look up the tranny fluid suggested by the manufacturer in his catalog files. It stated 75w90 GL-4. Now, GM Synchromesh, which I put in my car about a 2 months ago is a 75w85 GL-4 fluid. Mr. Lube said GM Synchromesh wasn't really designed for the Talon and mentioned it is a thinner fluid. Could this be why I'm getting grinding and stuck shifting as the weather has gotten cold. I had grinding in October so changed to GM Synchro and the tranny was a dream. I never had this problem until last Sunday when it went below OdegC outside?!? If I go to Crappy for the 2 ltrs of 75w90, is there a brand anyone suggests.

Now I know some of you have run GM Synchromesh in hot and cold for years. I'm only looking for an alternative to pulling into the Tranny Shop and being told to grab my ankles....catch me??

Many thanks everyone!

PS. Fu%k skiing....I hate winter!!!!!

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

"See you at the stoplight...!!"
[Linked Image]

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer
Re: !!Tranny Shmanny!! #91357
December 07, 2000 04:03 am UTC
December 07, 2000 04:03 am UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
Dominic Rouse  Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Well, just to see what the Synchromesh fluid was like I decided to change it anyway. Boy was it black! I only did 2500km since it was changed.

Oh well, I put in 2 litres of MotoMaster 75w90 GL5 (which is supposedly made by Mobil) and some Molyslip Gear Additive into the tranny. By the way, how many litres is everyone out there putting into their tranny?

Then I put some Molyslip Oil Treatment just for good measure....into my engine, of course.

Took her for a light spin and the shifter/gears didn't seize up or stick although there was a definite feel of not being as smooth as before. I'll give it a couple of days but might go see a tranny shop anyway for a check up and opinion. Just trying to save my pennies for some All Season Toyo's.....*sigh*

L8tr people!

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

"See you at the stoplight...!!"
[Linked Image]

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer
Re: !!Tranny Shmanny!! #91358
December 08, 2000 08:30 pm UTC
December 08, 2000 08:30 pm UTC
Terrace, B.C. (waaayyy North)
Chris Andrews Offline
Evil Super-Genius
Chris Andrews  Offline
Evil Super-Genius
Terrace, B.C. (waaayyy North)
Maybe its not the fluid but a bona fide mechanical problem with your tranny. If your fluid is black...

Good luck.

PS Vaseline does come in the extra large size.

------------------
Chris Andrews
92 Talon Tsi
"your chronic turboholic" [Linked Image]
www.pinktemple.com/dsm

[This message has been edited by Chris Andrews (edited December 08, 2000).]

92 TSi AWD 2.4L
12.3@113
"When strokers attack..."