December 09, 2000 04:39 am UTC
December 09, 2000 04:39 am UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
Dominic Rouse  Offline OP
D
Mississauga
I got a suggested fix from Active Green + Ross when I bought my winter tires today. They said my rear left wheel bearings are about to give out and to not drive on the highway! Well, not with this snowfall lately I'm not!! Anyway, is this a professional job or can the novice replace bearings? How much should I expect to spend at Active or any other Auto Shop for this? I wasn't given a quote, just told to have it fixed REAL soon.

I bought the car 3 months ago and at this rate I'll be lucky to ever get any mod$ in her.... [Linked Image]

*sigh* (seems like I'm sighing a lot lately?)

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

"See you at the stoplight...!!"
[Linked Image]

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer
Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91376
December 09, 2000 04:30 pm UTC
December 09, 2000 04:30 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
You don't know the half of it... ):

Anyway, the bearings are something within the reach of a novice, but you have to either have guidance, the manual, or a damned good head for this. It's also not something I'd want to do in the cold.

It's been discussed on the UBB before, but the best procedure is to put the car up on jackstands in the rear. Remove one wheel, remove the caliper and rotor, can't remember is the shock has to be taken off or not. Then you pound the bearings out using a cylinder that almost matches their width, and a big mallet (If you don't have a bearing removal tool). That done, take the bearing to an industrial supply store and ask them to find the bearing equivilent. This should cost $5 or so, vs. $40+ at the dealer. I'd do both rears at the same time, but that's up to you.

Then you just reverse the procedure for installing. Just be more careful with your pounding. (:

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91377
December 10, 2000 07:26 pm UTC
December 10, 2000 07:26 pm UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Thanks Troy! Anyone ever gotten bearings from an industrial supplier for our DSM's? What grade/type/name etc? I'll probably do the removal this week as my garage has been cleared out and a nice propane tank heater should extend my staying power out there in the cold of winter to fix my car.

L8tr

ModRacer - The Performance Collective - an Online Directory of Performance Shops & Services in Ontario, Canada. Local Event Listings, Featured Rides, Photo Gallery, Forum, Motorsports News, Test-Drives, Car Club Links, Discounts and much more... Search ModRacer
Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91378
December 11, 2000 03:40 pm UTC
December 11, 2000 03:40 pm UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Ok, the parts are: MB668769, MB668770 for the left and right wheel hub assemblies. You can't get the bearings alone from Tall Mitsu or Satan. I've decided this route as I should leave it to the experienced with the right tools in shop already. (I really am sick of working on my car alone [Linked Image])

Check this out:

Tall Mitsu each = $110 + S&H (prolly $70 as it's about a 10lbs package!!)
Satan each = $195

Wow! Satan almost sounds comparable on this one....

Well, if I decide this then no-one is getting Christmas presents. I'm starting to fear that this car is too $much$ for me.... [Linked Image]....I mean, what'll need replacing next? I haven't even been through the winter fully yet!!??!! D'oh!

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

[Linked Image]

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91379
December 11, 2000 11:56 pm UTC
December 11, 2000 11:56 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Even the local dealers were only quoting me $50-60 per wheel when I asked them...

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91380
December 12, 2000 12:26 am UTC
December 12, 2000 12:26 am UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
D
Mississauga
Troy....which local dealer was this you lucky bugger?!? And was this for JUST the wheel bearings as I could only purchase the whole hub assembly....even from Tall Mitsu?!? Do you have a bill/product number from this so I can inquire?

Thanks bud!

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91381
December 13, 2000 12:25 am UTC
December 13, 2000 12:25 am UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Halifax, NS
Local place was Steele Chrysler in Halifax. And yes, this was just for the bearings...

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91382
December 13, 2000 03:09 am UTC
December 13, 2000 03:09 am UTC
Toronto, Ontario
M
Michael Hamilton Offline
Michael Hamilton  Offline
M
Toronto, Ontario
$76/side from Crappy tire for the whole hub assembly.

Re: $$Wheel Bearings$$ #91383
December 14, 2000 12:02 am UTC
December 14, 2000 12:02 am UTC
Mississauga
D
Dominic Rouse Offline OP
D
Mississauga
I can't thank you all enough for the advice!

My girlfriend gets a present this year now! Wait a minute, I'm married....to my car...heh he

L8r people!

------------------
90 Talon TSI - "Baby"

[Linked Image]