Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
Yes I can break them loose in 2nd, but the car still moves though. Its fun going sideways with the power I make. I never launch the car on the street anyways, its always 2nd onwards. The difference b/w a 215 and 225 is usually 1 to 4 lbs depending on brand of tire, sometimes even similar. No way I'm running a 235 or 245 tire especially with a 40 series sidewall. Reminds me of a conversation I was having Shandon on the ecmlink forums yesterday. I believe he's on this board too, drives a low 11 sec 1g. He mentioned to me how its been nothing but a boat load of broken parts and axles every since he switched to a 235 or 245 (can't remember) tire from a smaller profile, and has not even had a personal best on them either. Having a tire that gives out matters too. We have AWD, even with a 215 tire you have more traction than most RWD car on the street with wide tires.

You have to remember I have MT slicks mounted on 15" rotas for the track. Getting the biggest tire on the street was not at the top of my list, which might be for others. Weight was my # 1 concern. I also have something now that 99.9% of DSMers don't use, which is a cusco 4 spider LSD center differential smile
Big tires aren't everything, I've been that route before and prefer a 215/45 or max 225/45 tire.

Ya, I remember you still have the seperate set of "real" tires for the track wink Up to 4 lbs heavier from just going from a 215 to a 235 wide? Are we talking comparison between same brand/model or between different brands/models? I can see one tire manufacturers 235 being 4 lbs heavier then anther brands 215 but if its the same brand & model I can't see them actually weighing that much more, for just abit more width. What are the tires made from, lead grin Besides, I thought you were making enought power that rotational weight no longer matters tongue

Why the extra breakage with the wider tire (were still talking equal overall tire height between the two)? Just the fact of having the extra grip?

98 Eclipse GSX DSM82HTA