First, there is no such thing as a diet. Either you change your lifestyle or you'll gain all the weight right back.
I have been working out for more than 15 years, and I think I have it pretty well figured out by now. The following works for me:
Rule number one:
- follow a strict diet where you have a chance to establish a routine. What I mean is, for me I follow a strict diet during the work week. I get up and go to work and follow the same routine five days a week, therefore it's the easiest way to incorporate the same eating routine every day. I cheat on weekends, by not out of control. I still follow my principles.
Rule number two:
- stay away from sugar and simple carbs. For the most part I don't eat anything sweet, unless it's fruit. At the same time, I don't eat simple carbs. I only eat brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta. If you can't control your cravings, than don't have the things that you have a weakness for at home. I rearly buy chips for example cause that's my weakness.
Rule number three:
- Portion control, eat small meals often to keep metabolism up. This is very important, in addition to making sure that every meal includes the same amount of protein as carbs. Keep in mind that vegetables are also carbs. I usually will eat more veggies then pasta or rice. Make sure you eat a good breakfast and lunch, which helps feel less hungry at night. Eating at night is a bad habit, that I always struggle with.
Rule number four:
- Hit the gym hard the day after cheating. I have my own routine that consists of a mix of weight training, high intensity training and cardio that I follow daily or every other day. I do have a rule that I must hit the gym the day after eating at night or beer drinking.
It's all about forming a habit, and not making excuses not to follow it. By now, if I miss a few days at the gym, I just don't feel right. It's sort of an addiction. I don't go to the gym to socialize, I work out hard, and leave when I am done.
Remember %70 of your success is your diet, the remaining %30 is exercise.

Last edited by Jakub Kowalczyk; March 20, 2012 04:56 pm UTC.

GOT SURGE?