Originally Posted by Mark Bondy
Okay, I remember when this thread was around a few months ago and I just sighed and kept my mouth shut, but now it's back... there is so much misinformation here it's staggering and I wouldn't even know where to start to correct it. I will say this though: for you bigger guys who are trying to lose weight, try not to get caught up in the minutae of diet... there are more basic, relevant things for you to focus on to jumpstart your weight loss... like cutting all calories out of liquids (so drinking only water & green tea), and eating a few hundred calories below maintenance instead of starving oneself (which would require you to understand how to find your maintenance), and adjusting macronutrient intake accordingly (protein/carb/fat) and understanding the benefit and relevance of each, to the point that you stop counting calories and start counting macros...

I train muay thai 5 days a week in addition to my supplemental training (distance running, high intensity intervals, resistance weight training) to maintain my fighting weight. I'm just under 11% body fat and still falling (I'm trying to get into a lighter weight class). I have a pretty strict nutrition plan and have tried almost every fad diet out there, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what you guys are going through. But like I said, all that minutae is for guys like me who are already slim and trying to tweak out another bf% point, not for guys who are starting out heavy. You guys can lose a lotta weight by following the basics and sticking to them.

edit: oh yeah and Michael, it sounds like the grain you're thinking of is quinoa.

Yes! Quinoa! How is it? Haven't tried it yet.

1997 Eclipse GST/X
Eat in small amounts. Otherwise be prepared to paint toilet bowls~ Mike Eng