Originally Posted by Mark Bondy
Originally Posted by Michael Lee
Edit: @Mark: I wonder what prevents the bruising? Tougher skin or muscles?

I haven't the slightest clue, to be honest. In the shin, I would say microfractures that eventually deaden the nerves and calcify the bone, but in the quad/thigh area I'm not sure... maybe it gets calloused? lol I don't know.

Bryan, we spar lightly (30-40%) with emphasis on technique most of the time; it's really the only way to learn and try out new things without having to worry about getting knocked out. However, when a member of the fight team is prepping for a fight, the cirriculum changes... we will rotate the other fight team members into the ring to spar hard (round 80-90% depending) with the person training in order to acclimate them to the reality of fighting someone who is trying to hurt you. At the beginning of this year, I was rotated in with our only 100kg+ fighter for a few days per week and came away from those sessions with a broken left foot, a fractured rib, and a litany of other bumps and bruises. He still got his ass handed to him come fight time. Go figure.

Right on man!
As for the shins, yes I've read into this and that's it exactly. Small microfractures that continually heal themselves and strengthen the bones, and I guess you could call it nerve damage, but you lose feeling. smile

As for the lack of bruising, I guess your muscles just toughen up.

Edit: I just Facebook stalked you Mark. You're friends with Peter Montrait eh? Jeez the Muay Thai circle is small. haha

Last edited by Michael Lee; March 29, 2012 07:41 pm UTC.

1997 Eclipse GST/X
Eat in small amounts. Otherwise be prepared to paint toilet bowls~ Mike Eng