Originally Posted by Andrew Trapp
Finally got the time to add my tidbit on doing this job.

When moving the fusebox, you will find you may need to adjust distances of wire or you may even want to completely rerun stuff. What I did was completely dismantle the harness and start essentially from scratch.

Here is what I did:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I decided to relocate my fusebox to the center console. I also decided that it was really silly to run the wire across the front with the new location. The route I decided on was all the wires run to the firewall, then split off towards each side of the car. The passenger side would further split to go through the inside grommet to the battery/alternator, and out the passenger grommet to the right headlight.

The first thing I did was remove all the ground wire splices. When examining the harness, you had somethings that were grounded on the other side of the engine bay, even though there was a ground point close to the location. Since nothing is timing based (like digital circuits) the length of the ground doesn't need to be equal length, nor is much consequence. Needless to say, I was able to eliminate a good chunk of grounding wire just by choosing better ground points. Cutting the grounding splices will also make the entire harness just so much easier to work with (untangling, running straight, etc...).

The second thing was to relocate the lighting wire splices. The headlights are connected through each other at the front of the car, my new route would no longer use this so I made the split at the firewall where the two headlights parted ways.

The third step was using pieces of string to locate distances. I ran three strings for each path. Fusebox to driver headlight, fusebox to passenger headlight, and fusebox to battery/alt. I taped and marked out on the strings where everything was so. I then laid out the string on the floor and started extending and trimming wires as needed. The grounds I extended to each headlight on the respective sides, to be roughly in the position they needed to be. Once the harness was put into place, I finished up the grounds.

finished product:
[Linked Image]

You can roughly see where the firewall split is and the small take off of where the the harness goes to the battery.

Nice work Andrew.
Originally Posted by Rob Cauduro
*bows head*

Amazing write up. Thanks so much.

Thank you sir. I like sharing with fellow DSMers.

Originally Posted by Jason Drew
Good info, I'm really considering doing this to go along with my built 6 bolt, might as well go all the way with it.

10 sec show car status? Yes please!

No reason you can't go fast AND look good.

Originally Posted by Andrew Trapp
As much as I hated doing it, it cleans the bay up so much!

And as much as I hate to say it, I think it is better than stock smile Kept the same gauge wire for quite a few things and was able to actually shorten the lengths - headlights primarily.

Additionally, if you add any power consuming things under the hood, you can plan it into the harness. I know that I'm going to an external oil cooler with a fan, so I ran a +12v wire and ground for the fan through the fusebox, so I now also have a neat and tidy fuse for it smile

It's great because you can route things how you want, make some additions, etc.
All my aftermarket stuff is powered by my OEM relays and fuses with exception of my fuel pump rewire.

Originally Posted by Mike Eng
this is far too tedious for me tongue but amazing work anthony! smile

Thanks, I like tedious though.

Originally Posted by Johnny Larmond
So ya like wire tucks, do ya?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/app...wire-tuck-98-mitsubishi-eclipse-gsx.html

One of the cleanest I've ever seen.

Side note on wiring, this guy has done some amazing stuff! Total build. I really like the massive plug going through the firewall.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm...rust-bucket-resto-mod-wire-tuck-etc.html

Originally Posted by Michael Lee
BlurredTalon is Anthony Hiscock from here. smile

Edit: who started this thread.

Yup, I am Blurred Talon.

I keep this pic on my desktop as motivation for my bay.

[Linked Image]

Tim Zimmer's bay?

Originally Posted by Bradley Woodward
race cars are covered in oil, so that is a show car, and that is lame.

Says who?
What's wrong with having your car clean and fast?
Have you seen the wiring in a real race car?

A properly maintained race car shouldn't be leaking any oil.

Bang on!

Wow that's a lot of quotes!!
Thanks for the kind words guys.
I'm offically diving back into my harness next weekend and hope to knock out 95% of it, short of having the car powered because I still need to figure out my distrubtion block.

My harness is certainly a little more complex then others. Mil-spec cannon plug on the fire wall for ease of disconnect, a Duestch plug for the fuel injectors, another Duestch plug in each fender well to make the harness completely modular. I honestly can't wait to finish it!

96 Talon TSI AWD - The Gold Digger/Never Ending Build