Do not ever throw money at a problem until you diagnose it. Just because one thing worked for one person doesn't mean it will for another.

Case in point:

I was an apprentice at the time, but one mechanic at a shop I worked at had a truck come in with boost problems. He, based on his prior experience, figured the turbo was done. We ordered the turbo and I installed it. The turbo did not fix the problem. After doing diagnostics on the truck, and trying a few things to rule out problems, it turned out to be a clogged muffler.

Experience would tell you that you diagnose and rule out suspicions before throwing money and replacing parts willy nilly to try and fix a problem.

Not saying you are wrong Jay, but before throwing money at it to fix it and replacing sensors that may not need to be replaced, it's best to diagnose (in this case, using an Ohmmeter) the sensor. If the sensor is to blame, then perfect, but if not, you cannot return electronic components once installed, period. You've just wasted $20 on a sensor (depending on brand).

I had the same issue happen to me in Sudbury. I cranked and cranked and nothing. It was -25 outside and my car was stock right to the airbox. It was fracking cold outside, and even after trying to boost it, it would not start. I fouled the plugs from soaking them in fuel. These cars when cold DUMP fuel into the cylinders, almost 20% more than a decently warm start. With a weak battery, old plugs, weak wires, it is EASY to foul plugs in these cars.

The end result was new plugs and a warmer day, it ran like a champ.

My sensor is still factory, and going strong.

AWDAuto
1996 TSi AWD Automagic
12.24 @ 113 - Small 16G
FP Green HTA - 11.42/123
Team Pump Gas and Meth
RTMRacing - Your Canadian source for DSM Parts

"Every moment you live is pregnant with the next moment of your life" --Jim Carrey

Last Login: September 28, 2021