Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli
Budget 2k for acid dipping. No acid is left as it is put into a neutralizing tank afterwards.

The big issues is not being able to protect the inside of surfaces which you can't reach like the inside of frame rails and such.

I'm on the hunt for new blasting equipment for Brightside and just the cabinet I'm budgeting 5k not including the compressor to run it.

Dipping is sounding pretty damn tempting still. Protecting inner surfaces was my worry. I thought of putting POR15 through my main frame rails and heard it sticks better to rust than clean metal anyways. That being said I have no idea how clean the frame rails are past what is visible at each end.
Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
Most places use phosphoric acid which will leave a protective residue on the metal (most other acids will keep eating the metals if you leave them soaked in acid, phosphoric acid will not).

That being said, once you have a bare frame you can spray stuff into the frame rails as need be. I believe POR or one of those other companies has a special frame rail setup for getting into those hard to reach places.
Much easier to get everywhere when the car is stripped and on a rotisserie (Which it would be if you're stripping it like that).
Basically as we all have said, it is not going to be fun trying to recoat hidden areas.
Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
The compressor he'd need for sandblasting is a very expensive (and large) piece of equipment. You'll probably want something that can push 11-14 SCFM @ 90psi or more to really run it well.

As for acid dipping - it's great, but as Stephan said if they don't get every last drop of acid out, you WILL have issues. Paint will bubble, etc...it is a very finnicky procedure.
Bingo. My buddy has an enclosed princess auto unit. Too finicky with moisture, running a big compressor though. I would need a compressor upgrade to put up with the flow the gun needs, something I dont really have room for. I was mentioning that the acid must all come out wink
Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Mike for a sandblaster that you would be using in this context it's actually pretty cheap, you can grab a siphon gun that has a canister on it and then just a 50lb bag of sand, which is like 10 or 20$.
Unless you don't have a compressor, than it's a little more expensive.

I dont Think I would be saving alot of time. If I need it for the nooks and crannies and keep the decision against dipping, I ll borrow my friend's smile

When I have my cashflow back I have some vitally important decisions to make smile would like to hold onto this car till the demise of one of us. Trying to do the chassis right this time and it wont be seeing salt or much moisture ever again. Some methods may be quicker than others, but not sure just yet if it warrants spending 2 grand if I dont need to. That might be better spent elsewhere. I ll have a better idea in a month or so.

98GSX Black:1st car/resto proj
97 acura el stolen/found
99GSX Red
RIP 86 turbo ZX, 92 turbo 2000GTX