Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
You have some wicked arm development! Seems to be the thing I struggle with the most, although since doing strength training they haven't gotten as much attention as when I was body building.
How tall are you?
Any idea on bodyfat? based on the picture I would say 10
You shouldn't completely stop, I would pick up some 5s and just do stuff, it will take longer to recover if you avoid it fully.

I'm 5'11", no idea of body fat, but 10% in that picture sounds about right. I've been weight training on and off since I was 15. I've been training regularly for the past 12 years, excluding injuries, which I've had a lot of. BTW, that's my left arm, the right one is a little bigger tongue
I've gained the most size when I went on a serious bulking cycle, probably 10 years ago. I've gone up to 220lbs. There is no secret, pick a routine with basic compound movements, and some isolation exercises for arms. You need to make sure you maintain proper form, and through full range of motion, with slow controlled movement. Quality over quantity! Throwing weight around for the sake of going the heaviest will yield the least results. And remember to give every rep 110%.
The next two things are nutrition, and rest. You need to take in enough calories and sleep enough to help repair the damage. I get in the best shape when I sleep at least 10 hour a day.
Regarding injuries, time and time again I make the same mistake. I feel something is not right, but I keep going until it gets bad and then I have to completely stop. It's my head though, I always go full out at the gym and it's very hard for me to hold back. This is how I got a torn quad,disk herniation, numerous strains..etc.
I just can't help it.

BTW, for most of my training days, I used my own routines. I always thought they were hardcore, especially since people I've trained with couldn't handle it.
I realized they weren't so hardcore, when I decide to change things up a bit and started researching other routines.
This is a seven day split for hyper growth. I've had good gains while shedding fat on this program.
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/hyper-growth-workout

The good thing about this website is that each program explains the reasons for each exercise and how it benefits you. It also explains nutrition and supplementing and reasons behind it.
I've since abandoned putting together my own routines. Why reinvent the wheel, when someone has already figured out the details.

As a bonus this is a good place with supplement reviews:
http://www.bestworkoutsupplementsblog.com/

Last edited by Jakub Kowalczyk; September 19, 2014 05:50 pm UTC.

GOT SURGE?