Originally Posted by Charles Lavoie

So I took a break from mechanical and continued the sub enclosure process. Shhh.. Only you guys (and the old ladies at the fabric store) know about the snowmen!! Cheap fleece in summer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's been a challenge. Cleaning up corners/edges will be a pain. The large flat surface in front left is still moving a lot. It's gonna need quite a few layers of fiberglass to stiffen up.

I made one for my 2G a couple years back. It looks like you used the stringy Fiber glass stuff......I'd recommend adding some very thick layers of fiber glass matting. It's super thick and can absorb a lot of resin, which is what you want for overall rigidity.
In the back, I believe I did 4 THICK coats of glass with a frack ton of resin. Hopefully you took your time and made sure that there were absolutely no air pockets between layers and gave it ample time to dry.
To eliminate air pockets while using the fiber glass matting, I cut the matting into various size squares/rectangles and put them down one at a time using smaller batches of risen (it'll harden too fast and you don't want to rush this)
After that layer dries fully (I gave it 24 hours for each one), get out a little air sander and make everything smooth. Rid of all the little whispy ends from cutting the matting. Once it's all smooth, scuff it up a bit and start all over.

To get the fleece on the front, it looks like you did something similar. I stretched it over and glued it on using 3M spray adhesive. Worked like a charm. At this point, it was all resin. again, another THICK 4 coats on the front, allowing for proper drying time and coating it over the back, blending into the base/backplate.

It cost me about $200 in materials to make and weighs about 15lbs before the sub is installed. ROCK SOLID though! I'd recommend some weather stripping along all edges and corners to ensure it doesn't rattle or vibrate against the plastic trim.

It's looking good though. When she's all stiff, it'll sound amazing too. I get a super deep solid hit, and mine is a dual VC 10" infinity.

http://www.ca.dsm.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=405885#Post405885

Last edited by Johnny Larmond; September 10, 2015 06:44 am UTC.

'97 GSX - DD and running strong
'99 GSX Spyder - Running strong
'99 GS - zzzz.

PHP: 4