I always prime my oil pump on the stand with a drill on the oil pump. You learn a lot this way, like how the pump can't push air past the oil filter and actually needs to be primed with packing lube or oil in order for it to get going, otherwise you will get no oil at the head at all.

Small things like leaving the t belt off and priming oil pump is one of those things I leave till the end right before I start the motor. I even set my thrust bearing by leaving the pan off and using clutch pressure and I don't idle the car forever on a rebuilt tranny that was completely dry and just got fresh fluid.

Attention to detail is what makes these cars last wink

The worst is those DSM builds where the engine has seen so much idle time in the garage while a bunch of DSM buddies hang around trying to diagnose little issues and tell you how mean your cams sounds.

Don't worry about idle and crap on a first start like most people. In fact try not to idle at all. Make sure there are no leaks after first startup, change the oil and go out and pound on it HARD.... Don't be a sissy on the first startup and first pounding, otherwise your motor will be the same tongue

1G DSM: 1000+ AWHP, 9.2@162.83 MPH
Evo X: 746 AWHP, XR9569S pump gas
www.dynotuneracing.com