Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
You went to a synthetic after only 20 miles? You'll want to leave it on conventional longer than that...

I know, at least 1,000 km's!

Also, from watching your videos you're idling the car too much and the rings are probably not fully seated yet. With the Mobil 1, they might never seat 100%. You're doing exactly opposite of what is intended for a new motor.

Other than the minute or so it takes me to set base timing, I don't idle a new motor for the first 1,000 km either.

I gave it enough beating within first 25 miles so at this point i am done beating on her until i figure out the problem. I do believe beating on her is the right way to set the rings but i also know there are lots of engines out there running with solid compression using "alternative break in" methods including my original block.

Just so everyone knows, after spending several months on the massive project that i just did it makes VERY VERY uncomfortable doing the suggested "break in" method by "driving hard off the drive way" especially when the first start up did not go well as expected!

At this point i can't think about oil, I don't mind dumping synthetic and going back conventional but i am not doing anything until I fix the problem shown in the video.

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1999 Eclipse GST Automagic
1991 3000GT VR-4