Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Right but in that case you would have been at a surplus all the time, the study is referring to those that are at a deficit(pretty extreme on if you ask me). As for better after cheat/refeed that makes sense because your body can more easily use carbs.

That last part is good to know as I was not aware of that. My understanding was that your body take the same amount of time to get back in whether it's cheat after months or days.

Surplus as in calorie surplus? Cause if so I was at an extreme deficit (12-1500 calories per day, tops, on average and less regularly) and still gaining muscle/losing weight and I lift big/am not small. I did eventually get to a point where that slowed down but that's where those cheat days helped - got my body energized and feeling good again and I was probably also mentally recharged after such large calorie deficits over weeks at a time. Going hard on a large deficit was physically and mentally challenging; would definitely recommend a good workout buddy if you go this route.

As for the last part - it's my experience only. My body is weird in many ways but I did find that to be the case (for me). I've read other people mention similar but I also know people who it didn't apply to.

'92 Talon TSi AWD - 5 Speed/E16G/12.385s @ 115.13mph