Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
Originally Posted by Johnny Larmond
I'm yet to have an O2 sensor wear out. This one seems to be behaving normally when in closed loop. I'll do a rag test on it soon. It's also installed in the stock location.
They wouldn't put a sensor there if it couldn't handle the heat.

I'll be leaving the car for a week so I'll have to put this on hold.
Still hoping it was just some bad fuel.

But they do go bad. And stock location is often blamed. Stock o2 sensors are not the same as widebnd sensors. You said the issue happenes during cruise.... Is that not closed loop??? Then when you said you give it throttle, it accelerates fine. Which would mean that it runs better in open loop, when its ignoring the o2 sensor.

Il still say its the wideband.

Except that modern cars all have wideband O2 sensors as close to the exhaust as the stock location on a DSM so it's not really a major issue. Of course the manufacturers are going to say 'use this close at your own risk' but realistically there shouldn't be a significant decrease in sensor life at the stock O2 housing location.

That's not to say Johnny's sensor isn't bad and if it is that heat didn't cause it, but I do know Johnny ran leaded fuel a bunch in that car many times when he worked at the airport and that IS something would greatly affect O2 sensor life.

'92 Talon TSi AWD - 5 Speed/E16G/12.385s @ 115.13mph