Originally Posted by Jason Drew
Tapping would introduce shavings into the egr port but they wouldn't go far and should be easily sucked out with a vacuum, no need for oil when tapping a simple hole like this in aluminum so it won't be a sticky oily mess, just a few shavings. Worst case scenario they might get sucked into the turbine blades but they are much stronger than compressor blades and I wouldn't foresee much if any damage to the turbine from some tiny aluminum particles.

This is what I figured was the case...I'd probably still avoid it but if I were to do it, it would definitely involve using a vacuum for a good cleaning. My biggest concern is/would really be if there somehow ends up being any large pieces/flakes/shavings of aluminum that end up finding their way into the path of the turbine rotating at speed. I know the turbine wheels are tough but it still doesn't take much to damage them when they're spinning quickly.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
Originally Posted by Alex Akachinskiy
Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
My bad, just re read what jason said, not much different between that and doing the block off plate, my understand is that the heat barrier gaskets can blow out if not blocked at the head, that is what I was concerned with.

^ Didn't happen to me yet.

Happened to me, but yes was with anti-lag.

If you just thread a steel plug in without tapping first, you won't really be creating any metal shavings. However, if you want to tap it first with the head on the block and in the car, best way to do it is just to pull the exhaust manifold off. That port you're blocking at the intake side feeds off the #4 exhaust port, so if you pull the exhaust manifold you can stick a piece of shop towel or something in there while you work, then a bit of compressed air to blow out any shavings before you plug it.

Good info...didn't know the exact path of the EGR port.

Last edited by Salomon Ponte; April 25, 2016 08:24 pm UTC.

'92 Talon TSi AWD - 5 Speed/E16G/12.385s @ 115.13mph