Rear Subframe Measurements & Similarities

Differences:
-Over all the track width is about 4 inches wider
-rear wheel power steering rack and linkage
-rear diff mounts differently
-subframe mounts to car are different distances.

Similarities(sadly my 3si rear subframe did not come with axles or a diff):
-The trailing arm looks to have an almost identical shape
-The axle cups also mount at the trailing arm and are also 4 bolt
-Upper and lower trailing arms look similar

(Sorry about the inter web photos)
DSM Rear Subframe
[Linked Image]
3000gt Rear Subframe
[Linked Image]

So I began to look closer at things. Trailing arms have some slight differences, internal ebrake, wider, shock mount is lower and thicker. Other that they are very similar.

Axle cups are both 4 bolt and look to be the same distance from the trailing arm, but the bolt spacing is noticeably larger and it is mounted with a larger nut.

Upper and lower control arms look to be almost identical, with same lengths, however larger mounting hardware on both ends.

I will elaborate on all of these later.
--

Next looking at the track width, many people on the internet suggest that these are 2 completely different cars and always note the track width difference of about 4".

So me being a curious cat, I set out to see where the width came from.

After measuring the upper and lower control arm mounting points, they came out the same as the DSM! Looks like mitsu engineers kept the same suspension geometry between the two cars.

Next I measured between the mounting points on the subframe(where the diff sits.) I could only measure the lower mounts, but the distance between them came out 2" wider than the DSMs.

So we found where 2" came from, now to find the remaining 2" I went to the trailing arms.
The arms look different, but after closer inspection, the mounting points were all very close.
The width of the trailing arm where the hub goes in, looked to be almost 1" 1/8 wider than the DSM.
So on each arm it looks like we gain about 1" track width per side.

Last edited by Mike Kuttschrutter; March 17, 2017 02:58 am UTC.

Stock.