Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich
Nice looking piece, but the material choice is probably overkill for the application. Big advantage of Chromoly is strength to weight ratio, but I don't think a gram or two in this piece is going to make a difference. 4140 is a lot more common, I asssume cheaper, and would probably be a good choice of material for this piece.

I don't know the reasoning for the choice of material, it's Beyond Redline Performance who actually makes it and to Tim Zimmer's knowledge, none have ever broken or galled up.

Now would making it out of 4140 significantly change the price? I'm assuming like most parts, a good part of the price is the overhead and r&d cost attached to the part, not the material itself.

It is forged 4340 chromoly tool steel that is machined from an ingot by a 5-Axis CNC Mill, then oil-grooved, shot-peened, heat-treated and carbonized. Rockwell hardness is around 60-62. That results in an approximate tensile strength around 115,000-120,000psi. It is essentially classified as a hardened tool steel part.

It is by far the strongest cross-shaft on the market for these vehicle applications and provides owners with complete streetability on high-horsepower AWD applications. Instead of machining down the stock cross-shaft to accept 4 spider gears, this part started from scratch with better material, a beefier structure, surface hardening, and oil passage grooves on its posts to provide proper oiling to the spider gears to prevent surface galling.

The Beyond Redline Performance cross-shaft has been proven to hold over 1000HP and 950TQ at the crank on my race car for the last 5 years without signs of galling or damage. It has been proven on the race track, the street, and the dyno to survive the harshest conditions without failure.

1997 Eclipse GST - AWD swapped - TPC - GT Spec powered
2023 - 9.63 - 145mph