Amin, a similar thing happened to me a few years back. Was pulled over and gave the officer all my paperwork. It turned out that my insurance card had recently expired (I had the new one at home, I had just forgot to put it in my wallet). Anyway, he said I could take a valid insurance card to a police station within 48hrs and the ticket would be revoked. Being the quirky person I am, I decided I wanted to have some experience in traffic court, so I decided not to do the police station thing and let it go to court. As has been mentioned, when I got to court, I just showed them a valid "pink slip" and a copy of my actual policy (just for ovrkill). Charges were dropped, no fine. I'm glad I went to court, it was an experience.

Anyway, back to business. All of the above applied because I actually HAD valid insurance at the time I was pulled over. If you don't/didn't have insurance, that's a different story.

Your question: "Can't the police just pull up my license on their system and find out if I have insurance?" Absolutely not. Believe it or not, there is no mechanism in Ontario that ties automobile insurance to licensed drivers. In my opinion, a rather larger "loophole" in the system; but that's another story. The only way they could verify whether you actually have insurance or not, is to call your insurance company. Ripley's believe it or not.

Anyway, if you did/do have valid insurance for your car, don't pay the ticket. Just bring your insurance card to court with you and you're fine.